1. RBI has cancelled Millath Co-operative Bank’s license.
- RBI has cancelled the bank’s license because of inadequate capital and earning prospects.
- RBI has said that all the depositors of the bank will get the full amount of their deposits from DICGC.
- Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Karnataka will issue an order for winding up of the bank and appoint a liquidator for the bank.
- Millath Co-operative Bank is based in Davangere in Karnataka.
2. RBI increased the AFA limit for e-mandates on cards, Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPIs), and UPI for recurring transactions.
- RBI has increased the Additional Factor of Authentication (AFA) limit from ₹5,000 to ₹15,000 per transaction for e-mandates on cards, PPIs and UPI for recurring transactions.
- This means that additional authentication will not be required for payment of ₹15,000 per transaction.
- E-mandate allows an individual to give standing instruction to the bank to debit a specific amount automatically on a recurring basis.
- The framework for processing of e-mandates on recurring online transactions was issued by RBI in August 2019.
- It was initially applicable to cards and wallets. In January 2020, UPI transactions were included in the framework.
3. Pramod K Mittal has been appointed as new chairperson of COAI for 2022-23.
- He has taken place of Ajai Puri as the COAI Chairperson. P Balaji will be the Vice-Chairperson of the association.
- Earlier, Mittal was the Vice-Chairperson of the Cellular Operators' Association of India (COAI).
- P Balaji is the Chief Regulatory and Corporate Affairs Officer of Vodafone Idea Limited.
- He is also the Chairman of Assocham National Digital Communications Council.
- Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI):
- It was established in 1995 as a registered, non-governmental society.
- It is a non-governmental trade association and advocacy group focused on the telecommunications industry.
4. 47th meeting of GST Council will be held in Chandigarh on 28-29 June 2022.
- The GST Council meeting was earlier to be held in Srinagar on June 28-29.
- In June, five year period of guaranteed compensation for revenue losses arising out of the July 2017 rollout of GST is coming to an end.
- State governments are seeking an extension of GST compensation.
- The Council has previously agreed to extend the compensation cess until 2026.
- This was solely for the purpose of repaying the loans taken out in the midst of the pandemic and to compensate states.
Topic: Indian Economy/Financial Market
5. Net outflow by Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) from equities increased to ₹1.98 lakh crore till now in 2022.
- Equities worth ₹31,430 crore sold in June 2022 till now. Foreign investors withdrew a net amount of ₹31,430 crore from equities till June 17.
- In addition to equities, FPIs withdrew a net amount of about ₹2,503 crore from the debt market during the same period.
- Foreign investors are staying away from the Indian stock market because of the rate increase by the US Federal Reserve, high inflation and high valuation of equities.
Topic: Banking System
6. IDBI Bank has invited bids for the sale of secured assets of GTL Ltd under the SARFAESI Act, 2002.
- The IDBI Bank has invited bids on behalf of the consortium of lenders to recover dues aggregating about ₹7,250 crores.
- The bids have been invited for the sale of assets under the provisions of the Securitization and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (SARFAESI Act).
- GTL provides various network operations to telecom operators and tower companies.
- IDBI Bank is a subsidiary of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC). It was set up in 1964. M. R. Kumar is its Chairman. Rakesh Sharma is its MD & CEO.
Topic: Reports and Indices
7. Chennai’s rank in Global Startup Ecosystem Index 2022 increased by 31 places to 102nd rank.
- Pune is ranked at 90th rank and Hyderabad is ranked at 97th rank. Bengaluru is ranked at 8th rank.
- New Delhi and Mumbai are ranked at 13th rank and 17th rank. So, there are 5 cities in the top 100 ranks.
- Chennai is widely acknowledged as the 'software as a service capital of India'.
- India ranks number one for start-ups in South Asia. It globally improved its ranking by one place to 19th.
- India is an ideal place to locate education, transportation, and food tech start-ups.
- Highest increase in ranking in India is seen in Goa (an increase of 272 spots to rank at 500th) and Patna (an increase of 218 spots to rank at 522nd).
- In total, 37 Indian cities are ranked in 2022. The report says India is ranked at 7th position globally with regard to the number of ranked ecosystems per capita.
- The rankings are released by Israeli-based StartupBlink, a start-up ecosystem map and research center.
Topic: Banking System
8. HSBC India has announced $250-million lending support for high- growth tech-led start-ups in India.
- HSBC India said that lending support will be used to lend to and support the growth aspirations of tech-led startups in India.
- It said that lending will be sector agnostic. It will be used in various industries in the start-up ecosystem.
- India’s start-up ecosystem is kept at the third-largest level in the world.