1. First parcel of petrochemical Normal Butanol dispatched from BPCL-Kochi Refinery.
- First parcel of petrochemical Normal Butanol has been dispatched from BPCL-Kochi Refinery.
- It was produced in the new propylene derivatives petrochemical complex of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd at Kochi Refinery.
- Arun Kumar Singh, Director (Marketing), BPCL-Kochi Refinery, virtually flagged off the first parcel of petrochemical Normal Butanol.
- Normal Butanol is one of the six major niche petrochemicals which will be produced at the new propylene derivatives petrochemical complex at Kochi Refinery.
- New propylene derivatives petrochemical complex at Kochi Refinery has capacity for production of Butyl Acrylate, 2 Ethyl Hexyl Acrylate, Acrylic Acid, 2 Ethyl Hexanol and Normal Butanol.
2. Singapore suspends crew change for seafarers, who recently travelled to India.
- As the number of Covid-19 infections is increasing, Singapore has suspended crew change for seafarers (sailors) who recently travelled to India.
- Crew change is a process in which crew members of the ship are replaced.
- The ban was announced by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) on Thursday. It will become effective from Saturday midnight.
- Crew change will remain prohibited for seafarers (sailors) with travel history to India within the last 14 days preceding arrival to Singapore.
- It is a sovereign island nation in Southeast Asia.
- Its capital city is Singapore and the currency is Singapore Dollar.
- Lee Hsien Loong is the current Prime Minister of Singapore.
3. India-US Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership launched by PM Modi and President Biden.
- India-US Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership was launched by PM Modi and President Biden.
- PM Modi made the announcement about the launch while addressing Leaders Summit on Climate, a two-day virtual event being hosted by US President Biden.
- At the summit, a new target for US to achieve 50-52% reduction from 2005 levels in greenhouse gas pollution in 2030 was announced by President Biden.
- PM Modi said that India’s per capita carbon emissions remain only 60 per cent of the global average.
Topic: Regulatory Bodies/ Financial Institutions
4. DGTR recommends anti-dumping duty on fibre boards from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
- DGTR has recommended anti-dumping duty on Plain MDF Board imported from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
- Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) has given its recommendation. Department of Revenue will now take a decision on imposing it. If imposed, anti-dumping duty will be valid for five years.
- It would apply to ‘Plain Medium Density Fibre (MDF) Board’ (thickness less than 6 mm) imported from mentioned countries.
- Anti-dumping duty will depend on the landed value. It is the difference between landed value and specified rates.
5. Government intends to raise mustard production to 17 million tonnes by 2025-26.
- Government intends to raise mustard production to 17 million tonnes by 2025-26 as per Joint Secretary (Oilseeds) in the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- As per Shubha Thakur, Joint Secretary (Oilseeds), the government also intends to bring around nine million hectares of land under mustard cultivation.
- She was speaking at a webinar on ‘Mission Mustard 2025’ organized by the Solvent Extractors’ Association (SEA) of India.
- She said that 5.9 million hectares area was the average normal area for five years from 2014-15 to 2018-19 and 7.7 million tonnes was the production.
- For 2021-22, the government is aiming at an area of 7.5 million hectares for mustard cultivation. Government is also aiming at production of 12.24 mt of mustard for 2021-22.
6. RBI approves Atanu Chakraborty’s appointment as part-time Chairman of HDFC Bank.
- RBI has approved Atanu Chakraborty’s appointment as part-time Chairman of HDFC Bank.
- His appointment will become effective for three years with effect from May 5, 2021 or the date of his taking charge, whichever is later.
- Now, a meeting of board of directors will be held to consider his appointment. Atanu Chakraborty has earlier served as Economic Affairs Secretary.
- HDFC Bank Limited is headquartered in Mumbai. HDFC Bank is India’s largest private sector bank. It was founded in 1994. CEO of HDFC Bank is Sashidhar Jagdishan.