Banking, Financial and Economic Awareness
1. RBI extends the scope of Special Non-Resident Rupee (SNRR) Accounts
- Reserve Bank of India has extended the scope of Special Non-Resident Rupee (SNRR) accounts to promote cross-border transactions in Indian rupee.
- The persons residing outside India can now open such accounts for the following purposes:-
- External Commercial Borrowings in INR
- Trade Credit in INR, or
- Export/Import Invoicing in INR
- SNRR Account:
- It is a non-interest earning account that can be opened for the specific business.
- Any person residing outside India, having a business interest in India can open such type of account with an authorized dealer.
2. Govt. plans to launch a new scheme for testing MSMEs manufactured defence products
- The Ministry of Defence will soon launch a scheme worth Rs 400 crore to set up new facilities for testing defence products manufactured by MSMEs.
- 6-8 units will be set up in the South and North defence corridor.
- 75% of the cost of equipment for the testing facility will be provided as grant-in-aid, while the remaining will be funded by a consortium of private investors.
- Each unit will function as a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV).
3. Samples of Betnovate and Panderm Failed quality tests
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) has labeled around 35 batches of medicines including Betnovate-C, Betnovate-N and Panderm ++ as "not of standard quality".
- While the manufacturers claimed that the samples are counterfeit, hence, the quality does not match.
- It is a regulatory body for pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- It functions under the Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
4. Periodic Labour Force Survey for Jan-March released
- The Periodic Labour Force Survey for the Jan-March of the year 2019 shows the unemployment rate in urban areas to be 9.3%, which is the lowest in at least four quarters.
- The female unemployment rate was higher than the overall rate in Jan-march while it is lower than that is Oct-Dec 2018.
- Female unemployment was highest in Jammu & Kashmir, while the male unemployment rate was highest in Odisha.
- The annual PLFS report is different as it covers both rural and urban areas
- The first annual PLFS report was released in May 2019 for July 2017-June 2018 while the second annual PLFS report is yet to be released.
- PLFS was launched by the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) in 2017.