DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS - 05 November 2019
2019-11-05 | Team PendulumEdu
1. India not to join Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
- Recently, India holds still on not signing the RCEP agreement.
- The reason for not signing the pact is the trade with China as unsatisfactory.
- RCEP is a free trade agreement (FTA) between 10 ASEAN Countries and its 6 FTA members
- 10 ASEAN members: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
- 6 FTA members: India, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand
2. Withdrawal of US from Paris Climate Agreement
- According to the US, the agreement has put an unjustified financial burden on the country, though it contributes to around 15% of global carbon emissions.
- According to a formal notice from the United Nations, the US will be out of the pact after the 2020 US elections.
- Paris Climate Agreement is an initiative of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 2016, along with 188 countries.
- The objective of the Paris Agreement is to limit the rise in global average temperature to below 2°C above pre-industrial levels.
3. ICEDASH & ATITHI- Custom Clearance initiatives by Finance Ministry
- Two new IT initiatives launched by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman for better Custom clearance.
- ICEDASH- Ease of Doing Business Monitoring Dashboard- helps in looking after the daily custom clearance of cargo vessels by the general public at various ports and airports.
- ATITHI- an app that helps the international tourists in faster and fuss-free custom clearance at the airports.
4. Rafael Nadal of Spain secures 1st position in ATP rankings for the 8th time
- Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) released Men’s Tennis Rankings
- According to the rankings, the 1st position is grabbed by Rafael Nadal of Spain, followed by Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Roger Federer of Switzerland.
5. World’s first oral medicine for Alzheimer’s disease
- China has become the first country to develop an indigenous medicine to cure the disease of Alzheimer's.
- The drug named GV-971 has become the first survival of clinical trials out of 320 drugs around the world.
- This drug is extracted from Brown Algae and is the only multi-targeted carbohydrate-based drug which can be consumed orally.
- China’s National Medical Products Administration has approved the commercial sale of the drug from China by the 29th of December, 2019.
- Alzheimer's Disease: a progressive disease wherein the patient incurs memory loss, inability to recognize people, confusion in making conversations, etc. There is no cure to the disease, but medication can help in managing the daily activities.
6. National Tribal Festival- Aadi Mahotsav
- It will be held in New Delhi from 16 November 2019 for 15 days.
- Theme – “Commerce, craft, cuisine and essence of Tribal culture.”
- TRIFED- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India, established in 1987, under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India, is the apex authority to control the Aadi Mahotsav.
- The festival will incorporate exhibitions as well as the sale of tribal handicrafts, jewelry, paintings, etc. of various tribal artists from 27 states of India.
7. US-Bangladesh Navy Exercise 2019 begins
- ‘Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT)- 2019’- the biggest naval exercise between the forces of the US and Bangladesh.
- The second phase of this exercise has begun from 4th November and will conclude on 7th November 2019.
- The exercise aims to enhance interoperability between the navies of the two countries through training.
8. World Tsunami Awareness Day 2019
- UNGA selected 5th November as World Tsunami Day in honor of a true Japanese story of “Inamura-no-hi”, in which a farmer sets fire to all his harvest to warn villagers of possible Tsunami during an 1854 earthquake.
- World Tsunami Awareness Day 2019 will publicize Target (d) of "Sendai Seven Campaign." The Target (d) focuses on the reduction of disaster damage to critical infrastructure and basic services disruption.
- The aim is to spread public awareness across the world about the dangers of Tsunami and on the importance of early warning systems.
9. More Heavy rains due to Cyclone MAHA in Mumbai
- Heavy thundershowers are expected in Mumbai and nearby areas due to Cyclone MAHA which is approaching towards Gujarat.
- Diu and Porbandar in Gujarat are likely to be hit by heavy rains.
- Nearby Observatory of Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) is in Santa Cruz, Mumbai.
- More on Tropical Cyclones:
- Low pressure at the centre (eye of a cyclone)
- Closed low-level atmospheric circulation of winds in Troposphere
- Surroundings near the cyclone have warm temperatures
- The cyclonic winds rotate anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
- Different names: Hurricane in the US (the Atlantic Ocean & northeast Pacific Ocean) and Typhoons in China and nearby regions (Northwest Pacific Ocean).
10. Quadrilateral Group Meeting in Bangkok
- This is the fifth meeting of the Quad group after the leaders met in September to reaffirm their meeting in November 2019.
- The aim of the meeting is to conserve and produce a safer and stable Indo-Pacific Maritime region.
- It includes measures of maritime safety, preservation and sustainable use of marine resources, disaster management, etc.
- Quadrilateral group (informal group) consists of India, the US, Japan and Australia.
- Evolved first by Japanese PM Shinzo Abe in 2007 and revived in November 2017.
IBPS CLERK 2019 Notification Released for 12075 vacancies, Check Exam Dates, Exam Pattern and Other DetailsRead More
IBPS PO 2019: Check IBPS PO Cut off 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 for Prelims, Mains, Final and Reserve ListRead More