Economic, Banking and Financial Awareness - 14 November 2019
2019-11-14 | Team PendulumEdu
1. Consumer Food Price Index rises to 7.89% in October 2019
- The retail inflation rose to 4.62% in October 2019, owing to the surge in food price inflation along with a low base effect and is a 16-month high.
- CFPI was 5.11 percent in September.
- This inflation rate is within the medium-term target of 4% within a limit of +/-2% but is higher than the projected inflation by RBI for Oct-March 2019-20.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI): It is an index that measures the change in prices of goods and services in a basket. Retail Inflation is measured using CPI.
- The current base year for calculation of CPI is 2011-12.
2. Banks Board Bureau (BBB) recommends names for MD & CEO of three state-owned banks
- Sanjiv Chadha, L V Prabhakar and Atanu Kumar Dashave been recommended for the post of MD & CEO of three state-owned lenders- Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank and Bank of India by the Banks Board Bureau.
- The final decision will be taken by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by the Indian Prime Minister.
- Banks Board Bureau: It is an autonomous body that was appointed in 2016 to make recommendations for appointment of whole-time directors as well as non-executive chairpersons of state-owned banks.
- The current head of BBBis B P Sharma.
- Sanjiv Chadha is currently the MD & CEO of SBI Capital Markets, while L V Prabhakar is the Executive Director of PNB. Atanu Kumar Das is the Executive Director of Bank of India.
3. Rupee falls 62p against US dollars
- The rupee falls 62p to a two-month low of 72.09 against the US dollar.
- The decline in India’s industrial output, low economic growth rate and concerns over US-China Trade war has led to the depreciation of Indian Rupee.
- Depreciation of a currency: When the value of a currency falls based on the market-determined exchange price.
4. ‘Project Zero’ by Amazon
- Amazon has launched ‘Project Zero’ to block the sale of counterfeit goods and to ensure that customers receive quality goods on its e-platform.
- Under the project, three tools will be used to detect counterfeited products- Automated protections, Self-Service Counterfeit Removal tool and Product serialization.
- Amazon is a US-based company that is considered one of the Big Four technology companies.
- Founder & CEO of Amazon- Jeff Bezos
5. India, Russia and China search for an alternative to SWIFT payment system
- India, Russia and China are searching for an alternative to the existing SWIFT payment system in order to trade independently with countries facing US sanctions.
- Russia is planning to link its SPFS system with Chinese CIPS (Cross-border Interbank Payment System). Since India does not have its own financial messaging system, therefore, it plans to link Russia’s Central Bank platform with the underdevelopment service.
- Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT): It is a financial messaging system used by banks and other financial institutions to send and receive information regarding transactions through a unique code.
- SWIFT was found in 1973 and is headquartered in La Hulpe, Belgium.
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More