Economic, Banking and Financial Awareness - 14 November 2019
2019-11-14 | Team PendulumEdu
1. Consumer Food Price Index rises to 7.89% in October 2019
- The retail inflation rose to 4.62% in October 2019, owing to the surge in food price inflation along with a low base effect and is a 16-month high.
- CFPI was 5.11 percent in September.
- This inflation rate is within the medium-term target of 4% within a limit of +/-2% but is higher than the projected inflation by RBI for Oct-March 2019-20.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI): It is an index that measures the change in prices of goods and services in a basket. Retail Inflation is measured using CPI.
- The current base year for calculation of CPI is 2011-12.
2. Banks Board Bureau (BBB) recommends names for MD & CEO of three state-owned banks
- Sanjiv Chadha, L V Prabhakar and Atanu Kumar Dashave been recommended for the post of MD & CEO of three state-owned lenders- Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank and Bank of India by the Banks Board Bureau.
- The final decision will be taken by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by the Indian Prime Minister.
- Banks Board Bureau: It is an autonomous body that was appointed in 2016 to make recommendations for appointment of whole-time directors as well as non-executive chairpersons of state-owned banks.
- The current head of BBBis B P Sharma.
- Sanjiv Chadha is currently the MD & CEO of SBI Capital Markets, while L V Prabhakar is the Executive Director of PNB. Atanu Kumar Das is the Executive Director of Bank of India.
3. Rupee falls 62p against US dollars
- The rupee falls 62p to a two-month low of 72.09 against the US dollar.
- The decline in India’s industrial output, low economic growth rate and concerns over US-China Trade war has led to the depreciation of Indian Rupee.
- Depreciation of a currency: When the value of a currency falls based on the market-determined exchange price.
4. ‘Project Zero’ by Amazon
- Amazon has launched ‘Project Zero’ to block the sale of counterfeit goods and to ensure that customers receive quality goods on its e-platform.
- Under the project, three tools will be used to detect counterfeited products- Automated protections, Self-Service Counterfeit Removal tool and Product serialization.
- Amazon is a US-based company that is considered one of the Big Four technology companies.
- Founder & CEO of Amazon- Jeff Bezos
5. India, Russia and China search for an alternative to SWIFT payment system
- India, Russia and China are searching for an alternative to the existing SWIFT payment system in order to trade independently with countries facing US sanctions.
- Russia is planning to link its SPFS system with Chinese CIPS (Cross-border Interbank Payment System). Since India does not have its own financial messaging system, therefore, it plans to link Russia’s Central Bank platform with the underdevelopment service.
- Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT): It is a financial messaging system used by banks and other financial institutions to send and receive information regarding transactions through a unique code.
- SWIFT was found in 1973 and is headquartered in La Hulpe, Belgium.
IBPS CLERK 2019 Notification Released for 12075 vacancies, Check Exam Dates, Exam Pattern and Other DetailsRead More
IBPS PO 2019: Check IBPS PO Cut off 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 for Prelims, Mains, Final and Reserve ListRead More