List of Important Days in March 2022
- Zero Discrimination Day 2022: 1 March
- 46th Civil Accounts Day: 1 March 2022
- World Wildlife Day 2022: 3 March
- World Hearing Day 2022: 3 March
- National Security Day 2022/ National Safety Day 2022: 4 March
- World Obesity Day 2022: 4 March
- Jan Aushadhi Diwas 2022: 7 March
- International Women’s Day 2022: 8 March
- CISF Raising Day 2022: 10 March
- Mauritius Independence Day 2022: 12 March
- International Day of Mathematics 2022/ Pi Day 2022: 14 March
- International Day of Action for Rivers 2022: 14 March
- World Consumer Rights Day 2022: 15 March
- March 15 declared as International Day to Combat Islamophobia by UNGA
- National Vaccination Day 2022: March 16
- International Day of Happiness: 20 March
- World Oral Health Day 2022: 20 March
- International Day of Forests 2022/ World Forestry Day 2022: 21 March
- World Down Syndrome Day 2022: 21 March
- World Water Day 2022: 22 March
- World Meteorological Day 2022: 23 March
- Martyrdom Day/ Shaheed Diwas 2022: 23 March
- World Tuberculosis Day 2022: 24 March
- World Theatre Day 2022: 27 March
- Rajasthan Diwas/ Rajasthan Statehood Day: 30 March
- International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
Many days in March can be added to the list of march month special days. There have been many questions based on March special days in various competitive exams. It is good to enhance your knowledge about the all special days of March 2022 by reading this detailed list of Important Days in March 2022.
Zero Discrimination Day 2022: 1 March
- Zero Discrimination Day is annually celebrated on 1 March by the United Nations (UN) and other international organizations across the world.
- It is celebrated to end inequality based on income, sex, age, health status, occupation, disability, etc.
- Theme of the Zero Discrimination Day 2022 is ‘Remove Laws That Harm, Create Laws That Empower.’
- It was first celebrated on 1 March 2014 after the ‘Zero Discrimination’ Campaign by UNAIDS on World AIDS Day in December 2013.
- According to a UN report, 70% of the global population is facing the challenge of inequality. COVID-19 has increased inequalities in the world.
- Article 16 of the Indian constitution has provisions to end discrimination based on religion, race, caste, sex, descent, place of birth and residence.
- SDG 5: It aims to eliminate all forms of discrimination against women.
- UNAIDS: It is a Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS. It aims to achieve universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, and care. It was formed on 26 July 1994. Its headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland. Its Executive Director is Winnie Byanyima.
46th Civil Accounts Day: 1 March 2022
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched a major e-governance initiative- e-bill system on this occasion.
- Civil Accounts Day is celebrated every year on 1 March. On 1 March 1976, the Departmentalization of Union Accounts (Transfer of Personnel) Act, 1976 came into effect.
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) celebrates March 1 every year as Civil Accounts Day.
- The Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in the Department of Expenditure under the Ministry of Finance is the head of the Indian Civil Accounts Organisation.
World Wildlife Day 2022: 3 March
- World Wildlife Day is observed every year on March 3.
- The theme of World Wildlife Day 2022 is “Safeguarding key species for restoration”.
- The theme of World Wildlife Day 2021 is “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”.
- The aim of celebrating World Wildlife Day is to establish awareness, cooperation, and coordination towards the conservation of wildlife on a global scale.
- The day also marks the signing of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in 1973.
- On December 20, 2013, the UN General Assembly, in its 68th session, decided to celebrate March 3 as World Wildlife Day.
- Related SDGs: SDG 1 (End Poverty in all its forms), SDG 12 (Responsible Consumption and Production), SDG 13 (Climate Action) and SDG 15 (Life on Land- Sustainably manage forests).
World Hearing Day 2022: 3 March
- World Hearing Day is celebrated every year on 3 March by WHO.
- It is celebrated to raise awareness about preventing hearing loss and also to promote ear and hearing care across the world.
- Theme of World Hearing Day 2022: “To hear for life, listen with care”.
- Theme of World Hearing Day 2021: “Hearing Care for ALL! Screen, Rehabilitate, Communicate”.
- In 2021, WHO had released the first World Report on Hearing.
National Security Day 2022/ National Safety Day 2022: 4 March
- National Security Day or National Safety Day is commemorated every year on 4 March in India by National Safety Council.
- The day was first celebrated on the foundation day of the National Safety Council in 1972.
- The theme for the National Safety Day 2022 is 'Nurture young minds - Develop safety culture'.
- The main objective of National Security Day is to implement safe practices at the workplace by taking safety measures to prevent accidents.
- It is dedicated to all security forces of India for their contribution to maintaining peace and security.
- It is observed to honour the sacrifice of all security forces, including policemen, para-military forces, commandos, guards, army, etc.
- National Safety Week is celebrated from 4th March to 10th March in India to create awareness about safety.
- National Safety Council:
- It was founded on March 4, 1966, by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Its headquarters is in Navi Mumbai.
- It was founded to develop and implement a voluntary routine in the areas of safety, health, and the environment.
World Obesity Day 2022: 4 March
- Every year on March 4th, the world commemorates World Obesity Day.
- Its aim is to raise awareness about Obesity and to assist people in overcoming it.
- 'Everybody Needs to Act' is the theme of World Obesity Day 2022.
- The World Obesity Federation organizes the day.
- Obesity is a disease of the body that has tripled since 1975. It mostly affects children and adolescents.
- It is one of the major risk factors for hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
Jan Aushadhi Diwas 2022: 7 March
- The Jan Aushadhi Diwas is celebrated on 7th March 2022. It was first observed in 2019.
- It is celebrated by the Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI).
- The theme of the 4th Janaushadhi Diwas is “Jan Aushadhi-Jan Upyogi”.
- It is observed to spread awareness about the usages of generic medicines and the benefits of Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana.
- Janaushadhi Diwas week is being observed from 1st March to 7th March 2022.
- The government has set a target to increase the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs) to 10,500 by March 2025.
|Related Links for Important Days|
|List of Important Days in February|
|List of Important Days in April|
International Women’s Day 2022: 8 March
- The day celebrates the economic, social, political and cultural achievements of women worldwide.
- The day also marks a call to action for accelerating women’s equality.
- International Women’s Day 2022 Theme: “Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow”.
- Important facts related to Women:
- Nearly 60% of women around the world work in the informal economy, earning less, saving less, and at greater risk of falling into poverty.
- Women earn 23% less than men globally.
- Women occupy only 24% of parliamentary seats worldwide.
- 1 in 3 have experienced physical or sexual violence and 200 million girls-women have suffered genital mutilation.
- International Women’s Day 2021 Theme: “Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world”
- SDG 5: Gender Equality
CISF Raising Day 2022: 10 March
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) Raising Day lies every year on 10 March and it is 53rd CISF Raising Day this year.
- On 10 March 2019, the 50th Raising Day of CISF was celebrated at Ghaziabad and PM Modi attended the celebrations.
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF):
- It was formed on 10 March 1969 under the act of the Parliament.
- It works under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The CISF provides security to India’s most critical infrastructure facilities like nuclear installations, space establishments, airports, seaports, power plants etc. It also protects important government buildings, iconic heritage monuments and the Delhi Metro.
- Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- Current Director-General: Sheel Vardhan Singh
- The motto of CISF: “Protection and Security”
Mauritius Independence Day 2022: 12 March
- Mauritius will celebrate its 54th Independence Day on 12 March 2022.
- It was first discovered by the Arabs in the 16th century. It was colonized by the Netherlands, France and Great Britain.
- Mauritius got independence from Britain on 12 March 1968. It became a republic in 1992.
- Seewoosagur Ramgoolam is the first Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- Mauritius is a small island in the Indian Ocean.
- Its capital is Port Louis and its currency is the Mauritian Rupee.
- Pravind Kumar Jugnauth is the current Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- Mauritius is the fourth largest contributor to India’s FDI in 2020-21.
International Day of Mathematics 2022/ Pi Day 2022: 14 March
- International Day of Mathematics is celebrated every year on 14 March around the world.
- International Day of Mathematics was adopted in the 40th General Conference of UNESCO in 2019.
- It is celebrated to showcase the role of mathematical sciences in achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Before 2019, it was celebrated as Pi Day. Pi was first calculated by the mathematician Archimedes of Syracuse.
- The theme for International Day of Mathematics 2022 is “Mathematics Unites”.
- The theme for International Day of Mathematics 2021 is “Mathematics for a Better World”.
- National Mathematics Day is celebrated on 22 December in India.
International Day of Action for Rivers 2022: 14 March
- International Day of Action for Rivers is celebrated every year on 14 March.
- In 2022, it is the 25th anniversary of the International Day of Action for Rivers.
- Rivers are key to restoring and maintaining the world’s biodiversity.
- Freshwater ecosystems are highly degraded in the world there is a need to turn this around.
World Consumer Rights Day 2022: 15 March
- The World Consumer Rights day is celebrated on 15 March every year to mark up worldwide awareness about consumer rights and their need.
- the day aims to ensure that the rights of all consumers are respected and to protect them from any unfair market malpractices.
- In 2019, the Government of India has constituted the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 by replacing the old 1986 act to protect the interest of consumers and timely settlement of disputes.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2022 Theme: “Fair Digital Finance”.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2021 Theme: “Tackling plastic pollution”.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2020 Theme: “The Sustainable Consumer”.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2019 Theme: “Trusted Smart Products”.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2018 Theme: “Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer”.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2017 Theme: “Better Digital World”.
- National Consumer Day is celebrated in India on 24 December every year.
- Consumers International:
- Consumers International is a membership organization for consumer groups around the world.
- They provide safe and sustainable products and services to everyone in the world.
- It was founded on 1 April 1960
- Headquarters: United Kingdom
- Director-General: Helena Leurent
March 15 declared as International Day to Combat Islamophobia by UNGA
- Pakistan introduced the resolution on behalf of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on March 15.
- 57 OIC members and eight other nations, including China and Russia, have sponsored the resolution.
- It marks the day in Christchurch, New Zealand, when in a terror attack 51 worshippers were killed by a gunman in two mosques.
- Expressions of Islamophobic - hate speech, discrimination, and violence against Muslims are spreading in many parts of the world.
National Vaccination Day 2022: March 16
- It is also known as National Immunization Day. It was first observed in 1995. In 1995, India had started Pulse Polio Programme. In 2014, WHO declared India polio-free.
- In the last week of April (24-30 April), World Immunization Week is observed every year.
- “Long Life for All” is the theme of World Immunization Week 2022.
- “Vaccines bring us closer” is the theme of World Immunization Week 2021.
- Immunization is the process through which the immune system of an individual becomes immunized against disease-causing agents.
- Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) was started in 1978. In 1985, it was renamed as Universal Immunization Programme.
- Under the Universal Immunization programme, immunization is being provided free of cost against 12 diseases:
Nationally against 9 diseases
Sub-nationally against 3 diseases
Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus,
Polio, Measles, Rubella, severe form of Childhood Tuberculosis,
Hepatitis B and Meningitis & Pneumonia caused by Hemophilus Influenza type B
Rotavirus diarrhoea, Pneumococcal Pneumonia and Japanese Encephalitis; of which Rotavirus vaccine and Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine are in the process of expansion while JE vaccine is provided only in endemic districts.
- Government had launched Mission Indradhanush in December 2014. It aims to increase the full immunization coverage of children.
International Day of Happiness: 20 March
- The International Day of Happiness is observed every year on 20 March.
- The first International Day of Happiness was observed in 2013.
- The theme for Happiness Day 2022 is ‘Keep Calm, Stay Wise and Be Kind’.
- The UNGA adopted the resolution on 12 July 2012 and declared March 20 as the International Day of Happiness.
- It is observed to increase awareness about the importance of happiness for humanity. It also promotes happiness as a universal human right.
World Oral Health Day 2022: 20 March
- World Oral Health Day is observed every year on 20 March.
- It is observed to raise global awareness about oral health and the importance of oral hygiene.
- 'Be Proud of Your Mouth' is the three-year theme (2021 – 2023) for World Oral Health Day (WOHD).
- World Oral Health Day was launched on 20 March 2013 by FDI World Dental Federation.
- Tooth decay, gum disease, cavities are some common oral diseases.
International Day of Forests 2022/ World Forestry Day 2022: 21 March
- The International Day of Forests is celebrated on 21 March every year.
- The main aim of the day is to raise awareness about the value and signification of forests in our life and make the future better on Earth.
- International Day of Forests 2022 Theme: “Forests and sustainable production and consumption”.
- International Day of Forests 2021 Theme: is “Forest restoration: a path to recovery and well-being”.
- In November 1971, the 16th session of the Conference of the Food and Agriculture Organization members had voted to celebrate "World Forestry Day" on March 21 of each year.
- United Nations had declared 2011 as the ‘International Year of Forests’ to raise awareness for sustainable management, conservation, and sustainable development of all types of forests.
- The International Day of Forests was declared annually on 21 March by the United Nations General Assembly on November 28, 2012.
World Down Syndrome Day 2022: 21 March
- The World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) is celebrated annually on 21 March.
- This day is celebrated to raise awareness about Down syndrome.
- Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of the third copy of chromosome 21. It is usually associated with physical growth delays, mild to moderate intellectual disability, and characteristic facial features.
- Down syndrome is also known as Trisomy 21.
- The theme of World Down Syndrome Day 2021 is “We Connect”.
- The Down Syndrome International (DSI) organization was firstly observed this day in 2006.
- The United Nations General Assembly officially declared 21 March as World Down Syndrome Day on 19 December 2011.
World Water Day 2022: 22 March
- World Water Day is celebrated on 22 March every year in the world.
- The focus of this day is to show the importance of freshwater and raise awareness about the crisis of safe water in the world.
- On 21 March 2022, “GROUNDWATER - MAKING THE INVISIBLE VISIBLE”- UN World Water Development Report 2022 will be launched.
- World Water Day 2022 Theme: “GROUNDWATER - MAKING THE INVISIBLE VISIBLE”.
- The theme of 2021 World Water Day is “Valuing Water”.
- The United Nations General Assembly had adopted a resolution on 22 December 1992, which declared that World Water Day will be celebrated on 22 March each year.
- The first World Water Day was celebrated on 22nd March 1993.
- The main aim of World Water Day is to support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 6 and provide water and sanitation for all by 2030.
- Sustainable Development Goal 6 is about "Clean water and sanitation for all"
World Meteorological Day 2022: 23 March
- World Meteorological Day is celebrated every year on 23 March to commemorate the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization.
- The main objective of this day is to highlight the role of people in protecting the atmosphere of Earth.
- World Meteorological Day 2022 Theme: “Early Warning and Early Action. Hydrometeorological and Climate Information for Disaster Risk Reduction”
- World Meteorological Day 2021 Theme: “The ocean, our climate and weather”
- The United Nations has announced the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) to improve the management of ocean and coastal zones resources.
- World Meteorological Organization:
- It was established on 23 March 1950.
- The World Meteorological Organization is an intergovernmental organization with a membership of 193 countries.
- The organization is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Martyrdom Day/ Shaheed Diwas 2022: 23 March
- Martyrdom day is observed every year on 23 March to pay tribute to the sacrifice of Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev.
- The British rulers had hanged Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev for their revolutionary activities against British rule on 23 March in 1931.
- On 8 April 1929, Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt threw bombs at the Central Legislative Assembly in protest of the Public Safety Bill and the Trade Dispute Bill.
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru were hanged on the charge of assassinating British officer John Saunders in 1928.
World Tuberculosis Day 2022: 24 March
- World Tuberculosis (TB) Day is celebrated every year on 24 March.
- It is observed to raise public awareness about the impact of TB around the world and to step up efforts to end the global TB epidemic.
- On this day in 1882, Dr Robert Koch discovered the bacteria that causes TB disease. It is caused due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- World TB Day 2022 Theme: “Invest to End TB. Save Lives”
- World TB Day 2021 Theme: “The Clock is Ticking”
- According to the WHO, it is one of the top 10 leading causes of death worldwide.
- Tuberculosis spread through the air and usually attacks the lungs but can also spread to other parts of the body.
- India has aimed to complete eliminate TB by 2025.
World Theatre Day 2022: 27 March
- World Theatre Day is celebrated every year on 27 March.
- International Theatre Institute (ITI) initiated World Theatre Day in 1961.
- World Theatre Day is being celebrated by ITI Centres and the international theatre community since 1962.
- Various national and international theatre events are organized to mark this occasion.
- The first World Theatre Day International Message was written by Jean Cocteau (France) in 1962.
Rajasthan Diwas/ Rajasthan Statehood Day: 30 March
- Rajasthan Diwas is celebrated on 30 March every year.
- The day is also known as Rajasthan Day or Rajasthan Foundation Day.
- Rajasthan was formed on 30 March 1949. This year Rajasthan will celebrate its 73rd Statehood day.
- Rajasthan is made up of two words, ‘Raj’ and ‘sthan’, which means the place of kings.
- It is a state in northern India.
- It covers 10.4% of the total geographical area of India.
- Kalraj Mishra is the Governor of the Rajasthan.
- Ashok Gehlot is the Chief Minister of the state.
- Jaipur is the capital of Rajasthan.
- It is surrounded by Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, and Punjab.
- The state has 25 Lok Sabha and 200 assembly seats.
International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
- March 31 is observed as the International Transgender Day of Visibility all around the world.
- It is observed to highlight the contribution of transgender people and to raise awareness about the discrimination faced by transgenders.
- This day was founded by transgender activist Rachel Crandall of Michigan.
- The first International Transgender Day of Visibility was observed on 31 March 2009.
- As per a study by the Indian Journal for Psychological Medicine, 31 percent of transgender people in India commit suicide.