- 1. Vineet Agarwal appointed as new President of ASSOCHAM.
- 2. National Consumer Day: 24 December
- 3. Good Governance Day and Birth anniversary of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee: 25 December
- 4. E-Sampada, a new web portal and mobile app released on Good Governance Day.
- 5. Birth Anniversary of Madan Mohan Malaviya: 25 December
- 6. Tso Kar wetland complex added to Ramsar sites list.
- 7. New world class hockey stadium to be constructed in Rourkela.
- 8. Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) conferred with FICCI India Sports Awards 2020.
- 9. FIFA has postponed Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups from 2021 to 2023.
- 10. First batch of Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) in Mumbai inaugurated by Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
1. Vineet Agarwal appointed as new President of ASSOCHAM.
- Vineet Agarwal has been appointed as the new President of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
- He is the Managing Director of Transport Corporation of India.
- He replaced Niranjan Hiranandani, who is the MD of Hiranandani Group of Companies.
- Sumant Sinha has taken over as the new Senior VP of ASSOCHAM.
- He is the Chairman and Managing Director of ReNew Power.
- It is a non-governmental trade association of India that was established in 1920.
- It aims to promote domestic and international trade.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Topic: Important Days
2. National Consumer Day: 24 December
- National Consumer Day is celebrated every year on 24 December.
- On 24 December 1986, President gave his assent to the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- It aims to create awareness regarding consumer rights.
- Theme 2020: “New Features of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019”
- World Consumer Rights Day is observed every year on 15 March.
Topic: Important Days
3. Good Governance Day and Birth anniversary of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee: 25 December
- This year the nation celebrated the 96th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister of India Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- On this occasion, a book titled ‘Atal Bihari Vajpayee in Parliament: A Commemorative Volume' was released by PM Modi.
- The book highlights the life and works of Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Every year Good Governance Day is celebrated on 25 December to create awareness regarding the importance of accountability in government.
- On this occasion, the progress report of e-HRMS (Electronic-Human Resource Management System) was released.
- Minister for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Dr Jitendra Singh launched the e-HRMS in 2017 and it had 25 applications of 5 modules of the system.
- The advanced version of e-HRMS will act as a single platform where employees will be able to see all their details like service book, leave, GPF, etc., and can even file for claims, reimbursement, etc.
Topic: National News
4. E-Sampada, a new web portal and mobile app released on Good Governance Day.
- Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated a new web portal and mobile app- e- Sampada on the occasion of Good Governance Day.
- E-Sampada app provides a single platform for all the services like allotment for government residential accommodations, office space allotment and booking of homerooms.
- Through the portal, users can file complaints, submit documents and appear for the virtual hearing.
- The app and portal will promote e-governance to increase transparency and accountability in providing various estate services like allotment, retention, regularisation and no dues certificate.
Topic: Personality in News
5. Birth Anniversary of Madan Mohan Malaviya: 25 December
- Madan Mohan Malaviya was born on 25 December 1861. He was a great scholar and freedom fighter.
- He was one of the founding members of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
- He served as the President of Indian National Congress four times i.e. in 1909, 1918 and 1932 (short duration), 1933.
- He founded the Hindu Mahasabha.
- He founded an English newspaper “The Leader” in 1909.
- He also founded the Scout and Guide in India.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 2014.
- He was given the title of ‘Mahamana’ by Mahatma Gandhi.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
6. Tso Kar wetland complex added to Ramsar sites list.
- Recently, India has added Tso Kar wetland complex to the list of Ramsar sites.
- It has become the 42nd wetland in India to be designated as Ramsar site and second in the Ladakh after Tsomoriri.
- Chilika Lake was the first wetland in India that was added to the list of Ramsar sites in 1981.
- Tso Kar wetland complex:
- It is located in Changthang region of Ladakh at an altitude of more than 4,500 meters above sea level.
- It has two connected lakes- Startsapuk Tso (freshwater lake) and Tso Kar (hypersaline lake).
- Due to the evaporation of saline water, white salt efflorescence is present on the margins of the lake, therefore the name Tso Kar.
- The lakes get water primarily from the melting of glaciers.
- The site is habitat of various threatened species like-
- Endangered saker falcon (Falco cherrug)
- Asiatic wild dog or dhole (Cuon alpinus laniger)
- Vulnerable snow leopard (Panthera uncia)
- The site is also an important destination for migratory birds along the Central Asian Flyway.
- The site also serves as the important breeding ground for black-necked crane (Grus nigricollis).
(Source: News on AIR)
- Ramsar Convention:
- It is an inter-governmental environmental treaty that was signed in 1971 and came into force in 1975.
- Under the convention, a wetland site of international importance is designated as Ramsar site.
- The world’s first Site was the Cobourg Peninsula in Australia, designated in 1974.
- Wetlands: It is a place where the land is covered by water, either salt, fresh or somewhere in between. For example - Marshes and ponds, the edge of a lake or ocean, the delta at the mouth of a river, low-lying areas that frequently flood.
7. New world class hockey stadium to be constructed in Rourkela.
- Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik, has announced that a new world class hockey stadium will be constructed in Rourkela.
- It will be the largest hockey stadium in India.
- Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 will be held in Odisha in this stadium.
- Many talented hockey players like Dilip Tirkey and Sunita Lakra are from the district of Sundargarh of which Rourkela is a part.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) conferred with FICCI India Sports Awards 2020.
- Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) has been announced as the winner of FICCI India Sports Awards 2020 in the category of “Best Company Promoting Sports (Public Sector) 2020”.
- Anil Kumble’s enterprise, Tenvic Sports, won the award in the category of “Best Company Promoting Sports (Private Sector) 2020.”
- In August 2020, AFSCB was awarded the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar for employment of sports persons and sports welfare measures.
- AFSCB is the apex body for planning and conduct of sports activities within Indian Air Force and at Inter-services level.
- FICCI India Sports Awards are presented every year to recognize the contribution of sportspersons and various stakeholders who deliver excellent results during the year.
9. FIFA has postponed Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups from 2021 to 2023.
- FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) has postponed Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups from 2021 to 2023 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Indonesia will be the host for the Under-20 World Cup and Peru will be the host for the Under-17 World Cup.
- Bureau of the FIFA Council said that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a challenge for the hosting of international sporting events.
- FIFA Council is the main decision making body of FIFA during the intervals of FIFA Congress. FIFA Congress elects its members.
- It is the highest international governing body of association football, fútsal and beach soccer.
- It was founded in 1904.
- Its headquarters are located in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Gianni Infantino is the current President of FIFA.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
10. First batch of Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) in Mumbai inaugurated by Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- First batch of the Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) in Mumbai has been inaugurated by Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Mahendra Nath Pandey.
- IIS is a joint initiative between the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and the Tata Indian Institute of Skills.
- On 11 November 2020, MSDE and TATA IIS signed an agreement for setting up of Indian Institute of Skills.
- IIS is located at Chembur, Mumbai. Its first batch will start training with two courses in Factory Automation.
- The courses on Factory Automation are thought of as the foundation for future courses and Smart Manufacturing (Industry 4.0) technology.
- The institute has partnered with FESTO and SMC Corporation, Japan, for training. SMC Corporation is the world’s largest manufacturer of pneumatic components.
- Government has launched Aatmanirbhar Skilled Employee Employer Mapping (ASEEM) Portal in July 2020. It is a skill directory in India that connects skilled people.
- Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) was formed on November 9, 2014. Under its Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana 2016-2020, the MSDE has provided training to nearly one crore candidates.