Banking, Financial and Economic Awareness
1. Fourth round of bidding under Regional Air Connectivity Scheme (RCS) announced
- The fourth round of bidding will focus on North-Eastern Region, hilly states, Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh and some islands.
- In earlier rounds of bidding under RCS, a total of 688 routes were allocated. Out of these routes, only 232 are functional.
- Regional Air Connectivity Scheme (RCS):
- It is a scheme of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- It was launched in April 2017.
- It aims to increase regional connectivity and to make flying affordable for common man.
- Implementing Agency: Airport Authority of India (AAI)
2. Xiaomi to offer personal loans through Mi Credit
- Mi Credit, Xiaomi's online marketplace for personal loans, will provide personal loans up to Rs 1 lakh.
- For providing personal loans, Xiaomi has become a partner with five NBFCs and fintechs like Aditya Birla Finance, Money View, EarlySalary, Zestmoney and CreditVidya.
- It is a Chinese electronics company.
- It is the world's fourth-largest manufacturer of smartphones.
- CEO: Lei Jun
- Managing Director of Xiaomi India: Manu Kumar Jain
3. Rs 100 crore raised to fund machinery purchases and solar projects of MSMEs
- The funds ($15 million) has been raised by Electronica Finance (EFL) through Compulsorily Convertible Preference shares.
- EFL had earlier raised $10 million through green Masala Bonds.
- Compulsorily Convertible Preference shares are shares that change into ordinary shares after a specified date.
- Masala Bonds are bonds that are denominated in Indian rupees. They are issued in the markets located outside India.
4. Standard and Poor’s (S&P) keeps India's rating at BBB- and outlook at stable
- The lowest investment grade rating of BBB- was assigned to India in September 2014. It signals the highest risk of default.
- The stable outlook from S&P means that India's rating is not likely to change.
- S&P expects that India's growth will remain strong over the next 2 years.
- On November 8, Moody's had changed India's outlook from stable to negative.
- Standard and Poor’s (S&P):
- Along with Moody's Investors Service and Fitch Ratings, S&P forms big three credit-rating agencies of the world.
- It is an American company that rates borrowers on a scale from AAA to D.
- While S&P's long-term ratings from AAA to BBB are known as investment grade, ratings from BB to D are known as non-investment grade (speculative-grade).
- Founder: Henry Varnum Poor
5. COAI proposes tariff regulation to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
- COAI has written to TRAI that tariff regulation through setting up floor prices for data services is required in place of voluntary tariff increase by operators.
- COAI has also said that its members like Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Idea, and Reliance Jio are also of the same opinion.
- Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI):
- It is an association of the Indian telecom industry.
- It was formed in 1995.
- Chairman: Ravinder Takkar