Banking, Financial and Economic Awareness
1. Uber Eats India acquired by Zomato
- Zomato has acquired the food delivery business of Uber, named Uber Eats India.
- As part of the deal, users clicking on the Get Food Delivery button of Uber's app will be sent to Zomato for six months.
- Zomato and Swiggy currently occupy 80% of the food delivery market in India.
- Earlier, Zomato has collected $150 million from Ant Financial, which is an affiliate of Alibaba Group.
- It is an American company.
- CEO: Dara Khosrowshahi
- Subsidiaries: Uber Eats, Careem
- Founders: Travis Kalanick & Garrett Camp
- It is an Indian company.
- Founder(s): Deepinder Goyal, Pankaj Chaddah
- Founded: 2008
- Founder(s): Nandan Reddy, Sriharsha Majety, Rahul Jaimini
- Founded: 2014
- CEO: Sriharsha Majety
2. West Bengal replaces UP as top vegetable producer
- According to State-wise horticulture production data from Agriculture Ministry, West Bengal has become the top vegetable producer by producing 29.55 million tonnes (mt) vegetables in 2018-19.
- Last year, West Bengal produced 27.70 mt vegetables.
- In 2018-19, UP produced 27.71 mt vegetables. It was the top vegetable producer last year by producing 28.32 mt.
- Top three fruit-producing states are Andhra Pradesh (17.61 mt), Maharashtra (10.82 mt) and UP (10.65 mt).
- In 2017-18, Assam was the second top producer of fruits. It was replaced by Maharashtra in 2018-19.
- In 2004-05, 6.74 million hectares (mh) area was under vegetable crops. It increased to 10.10 mh in 2018-19. During the same period, the area under fruit crop cultivation was 6.65 mh.
- In 2004-05, Vegetable production was 101.25 mt. It increased to 185.88 mt in 2018-19.
- In 2018-19, fruit production was 98.58 mt. It is approximately 31.4% of the total horticulture crops in India.
3. Appointment of new MD of SBI and chiefs of Canara Bank, Bank of Baroda (BoB) and Bank of India (BoI)
- Along with the approval of Challa Sreenivasulu Setty as the new MD of SBI, the names of new MD & CEO of Canara Bank, BoB and BoI have been announced by the government.
- Lingam Venkata Prabhakar will become MD & CEO of Canara Bank on or after February 1, 2020. RA Sankara Narayanan is the current MD & CEO of Canara Bank.
- Sanjiv Chadha and Atanu Kumar Das will be appointed as MD & CEO of BoB and BoI, respectively.
- Dinabandhu Mohapatra was MD & CEO of Bank of India (BoI) till the end of June 2019.
- PS Jayakumar was MD & CEO of Bank of Baroda (BoB) till the end of October 2019.
4. SC orders new seven-member board for Unitech Limited
- Supreme Court has ordered a new seven-member board headed by former NHAI chairman Yudvir Singh Malik to take over the current board of directors at Unitech Limited.
- The Board will also have former chairman of NBCC (India) Limited, Anoop Kumar Mittal and Niranjan Hiranandani as directors.
- SC has also ordered the board to give the status report within two months. The court also ordered the appointment of a retired SC judge for monitoring the resolution feedback of a new board.
- Earlier, Justice S N Dhingra committee was monitoring the selling of Unitech's assets to complete the pending projects. The court said that the S N Dhingra committee will continue its work until the final resolution framework is presented by a new board of directors.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Which among the following has recently acquired the food delivery business of Uber in India, named Uber Eats?
- Alibaba Group
- Ant Financial
2. Which of the following is top vegetable producer according to the latest state-wise horticulture production data released by Agriculture Ministry?
- Andhra Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Uttar Pradesh
3. Who has been recently appointed as MD & CEO of Canara Bank?
- Challa Sreenivasulu Setty
- Lingam Venkata Prabhakar
- RA Sankara Narayanan
- Sanjiv Chadha
- Atanu Kumar Das
4. Who will be the head of new seven-member board for Unitech Limited?
- Yudvir Singh Malik
- Anoop Kumar Mittal
- Niranjan Hiranandani
- S N Dhingra
- Sanjay Chandra