Daily Current Affairs and GK | 03 March 2020
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
1. Various bills were tabled in the Lok Sabha
- Finance Minister has tabled the Direct Tax ‘Vivad Se Vishwas’ Bill, 2020 for consideration and passing in Lok Sabha.
- This bill will help in resolving direct tax-related disputes.
- Also, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has introduced the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill 2020 in the Lok Sabha.
- The Bill will amend the Act of 1971 to increase the period of abortion from 20 weeks to 24 weeks.
- The purpose of this bill is to provide better and safe abortion facilities to women.
- Apart from this, Union Coal and Mines Minister Prahlad Joshi introduced the Mineral Laws (Amendment) Bill 2020 in the Lok Sabha.
- The bill aims to amend the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015.
2. Supreme Court will not send petitions challenging Article 370 to a seven-judge bench
- The Supreme Court has said that the petitions challenging the constitutional validity of the Center's decision to abolish the provision of Article 370 have been refused to be referred to a seven-judge bench for hearing.
- The decision has been taken by a five-judge bench headed by Justice N V Ramana.
- The Supreme Court reserved the order on January 23.
- It is known that on August 5, 2019, the Central Government abolished the provisions of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir and bifurcated the State into two Union Territories named Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
3. Saudi Arabia began issuing permanent premium residency permits to foreigners
- Saudi Arabia has officially started issuing permanent premium residency permits to foreigners.
- Indian investor Yosuffali M A, chairman of the Lulu Group, is one of the first few to be granted permanent residence permit by Saudi Arabia.
- The Premium Residency, informally known as a Green Card of Saudi Arabia, is a residence permit in Saudi Arabia that gives the right to live, work and own business and property in the empire without the right of grant.
- The Premium Residency originated as part of Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030 reform plan, which was announced by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to boost the Saudi economy.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Saudi Arabia is a country in Western Asia and a large part of the Arabian Peninsula.
- Its capital is Riyadh and the currency is Saudi Riyal.
4. Tasneem Mir and Mansi Singh won bronze at Yonex Dutch Junior International 2020 in Haarlem
- Young Indian shuttlers Tasnim Mir and Mansi Singh won bronze in the girls' singles badminton event at Yonex Dutch Junior International 2020 in Haarlem, Netherlands.
- This was the first time India won two bronze medals in the girls' singles at this BWF Junior International Grand Prix tournament.
- Also, Akashi Kashyap and Anupama Upadhyay of India have won gold and silver medals, respectively, in girls' singles at Kenya International held in Thika, Kenya.
5. One week-long Ekam Fest started in New Delhi
- A week-long Ekam (EKAM) Fest started in New Delhi to promote the craftsmanship and products of Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs.
- The fair was inaugurated by Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari, Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawarchand Gehlot.
- Ekam Fest is an effort to promote entrepreneurship and knowledge among PwDs; it provides a platform for them to market their products.
- About 80 Divyang entrepreneurs, artisans, and organizations from 8 states and union territories are showcasing various products and crafts at Ekam Fest.
6. Government allows providing Wi-Fi services on the flight to passengers
- The government has allowed airlines operating in India to provide Wi-Fi services in flight to passengers.
- Pilot-in-command can allow passengers to access Internet via Wi-Fi on their laptop, smartphone, tablet, smartwatch, e-reader or a point of sale machine when boarding an aircraft.
- This could be done when the device is being used in flight mode or airplane mode.
7. Punjab Cabinet approved the introduction of the Punjab Lokayukta Bill, 2020
- The Punjab Cabinet has recently approved the introduction of the Punjab Lokayukta Bill, 2020.
- The bill will cover the level of all public officials up to the Chief Minister.
- This law will apply to the CM, ministers and officers of all public offices.
- The purpose of this law is to advance governance and check corruption.
- The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act was introduced in 2013.
- These institutions are statutory bodies.
8. March 3: World Wildlife Day
- World Wildlife Day is observed every year on March 3.
- The theme of World Wildlife Day 2020 is "Sustaining all life on earth".
- The aim of celebrating World Wildlife Day is to establish awareness, cooperation, and coordination towards the conservation of wildlife on a global scale.
- On December 20, 2013, the UN General Assembly, in its 68th session, decided to celebrate March 3 every year as World Wildlife Day.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Recently the Mineral Law Amendment Bill 2020 was introduced in the Lok Sabha. Which law will be amended by this bill?
A. Coal Mines Special Provisions Act 2014
B. Coal Mines Special Provisions Act 2015
C. Coal Mines Special Provisions Act 2013
D. Coal Mines Special Provisions Act 2016
2. The five-judge bench headed by Justice NV Ramana is related to which subject?
A. Ayodhya Affairs
B. Article 370
C. Sabarimala Temple
D. Citizenship Law
3. Recently which country has officially started issuing permanent premium residency permits to foreigners?
C. Saudi Arabia
4. Akashi Kashyap is related to which sports?
5. Where has Ekam Fest started recently to promote the craftsmanship and products of Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs?
B. New Delhi
6. Recently, the government has allowed Indian airlines to provide ________ to passengers in flight.
A. Carry excess baggage
B. Discounted fares
C. Wi-Fi services
D. Free travel for a child under 5 years of age
7. In which of the following years was the Lokpal and Lokayukta Act introduced?
8. World Wildlife Day is celebrated every year on which day?
A. March 3
B. March 5
C. March 1
D. March 10