Daily Current Affairs and GK | 04 January 2020
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
1. Top Iranian General Qaseem Soleimani killed in drone strike near Baghdad airport
- Drone strike by U.S.A killed the top general of Iran’s elite Quds force, Qaseem Soleimani, near Baghdad Airport.
- The attack came after the US embassy in Baghdad was attacked by Iran's protesters.
- US state department has issued a security alert to Americans living in Lebanon, Bahrain, Kuwait, Nigeria. It has also closed all consular services in Iran.
- India has called for peace and stability between the two nations.
- Iran: Also called the Islamic Republic of Iran, is the West Asian country. Its capital is Tehran and currency is Iranian Rial.
2. Proposal of Creation of Air Defence Command to be prepared by June 30, 2020
- CDS Bipin Rawat stated that the proposal for the creation of the Air Defence Command is to be prepared by June 30, 2020.
- Air Defence command will be tasked to integrate the air defense and assets of the army, navy, and air force and provide integrated cover to the aerial territory of India.
- He held a meeting with important personnel of the Integrated Defence Staff.
- Focusing on the collegiate system of functioning, he emphasized that the three services and Coast Guard should be consulted.
3. Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal to inaugurate World Book Fair
- HRD minister Ramesh Pokhriyal will inaugurate the 28th edition of the World Book Fair at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi on January 4, 2020.
- The theme of the event is ‘Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer.’ Thus the event highlights the literature of Mahatama Gandhi.
- It will witness the participation of 20 foreign countries.
- The book fair is organized by the National Book Trust.
- Mahatama Gandhi
- Also known as the Father of India, he was a freedom fighter, social reformer, philosopher and writer.
- Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat.
4. Union minister of Textile ministry and Women and Child Development ministry launched ‘Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav’ Campaign
- Smriti Irani launched “Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav” Campaign to gather public suggestions for BJP’s manifesto for the coming assembly polls in Delhi.
- A website and a mobile number ‘6357171717’ has been launched on which people can record their suggestions.
5. Australian navy rescued people from fire-ravaged town of Mallacoota
- Australian navy rescued around 1000 tourists and residents from the fire-ravaged town of Mallacoota on Victoria coast.
- Two ships were used for the rescue operation, i.e. M V Sycamore and HMAS Choules.
- Australia: It is an island country with its capital at Canberra and currency being Australian Dollar.
6. India called against vandalism at Nankana Sahib Gurudwara in Pakistan
- India condemning vandalism at Nankana Sahib Gurudwara has called upon Pakistan to ensure the safety and security of the Sikh community.
- Nankana Sahib Gurudwara
- It is a Gurudwara in Nankana Sahib district in Punjab province of Pakistan.
- Nankana Sahib is name given after 1st Sikh Guru i.e Guru Nanak who was born in Nankana in 1469.
7. International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Ranking topped by Manav Thakkar in Under-21 Men’s singles category
- Indian paddler Manav Thakkar topped in Under-21 Men’s singles category of International Table Tennis Federation Ranking.
- He is the 4th to top the ranking among Indians after Harmeet Desai, G Sathiyan and Soumyajit Ghosh.
- The title was gained after he won Under-21 men's singles title at the ITTF Challenge Plus Benemax-Virgo North American Open in Markham, Canada. He had also won a singles' title in the Under- 18 category in 2018. In 2018 Asian games held in Jakarta, his team won the Bronze medal.
- International Table tennis Federation
- International Table Tennis Federation is the apex regulatory body of all the Table Tennis associations.
- It also organizes various international competitions like World Table Tennis Championship.
- The federation was formed in 1926 with its headquarter at Lausanne, Switzerland.
8. Khadi and Village Industry Commission (KVIC) inaugurated first silk processing unit for Patola Sarees in Gujarat
- KVIC has inaugurated the first silk processing unit for Patola Sarees in Gujarat to cut down the cost of silk yarn production and increase the sale of Patola Saree raw material.
- The total installation cost of the plant is 75 lakh, out of which 60 lakh has been contributed by KVIC.
- Patola Saree
- These are double knitted Ikat sarees woven in Patan, Gujarat.
- The sarees are usually made of silk.
- The tradition was brought in Gujarat by Silk weavers of Salvi caste from Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- This saree is given GI tag by the name Patan Patola.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission was formed under the KVIC Act 1956.
- It acts as an apex body under the Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Industries and is tasked to promote khadi and village industries in rural areas.
9. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to create New and Emerging Strategic Technologies (NEST) division
- To promote domestic and foreign investment in emerging technologies, MEA has decided to create the NEST division under MEA.
- The various emerging technologies include Artificial Intelligence, the Internet of Things, 5G, etc.
- It will also be responsible for handling the issues related to emerging and new technologies on various multi forums like G-20.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. New and Emerging Technology division will be created under
A. Ministry of Finance
B. Ministry of Commerce and Industry
C. Ministry of External Affairs
D. Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change
2. Patan Patola has been given GI Tag as a product of which state?
C. Madhya pradesh
D. New Delhi
3. Who got top rank in International Table Tennis Federation ranking 2020 under Men’s singles U-21 category?
A. Manav Thakkar
B. Harmeet Desai
C. G. Sathiyan
D. Soumyajit Ghosh
4. Which number of Sikh Guru was Guru Nanak?
5. Qaseem Soleimani, the Chief General, recently killed in a drone strike by U.S.A belongs to which country?
6. Which edition of the World Book Fair will be held in New Delhi?
7. “Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav” Campaign is related to which of the following?
D. BJP’s political manifesto
8. Quds Force belongs to which of the following countries?
A. Saudi Arabia
9. Mallacoota, recently in news, is located in which of the following countries?
A. Saudi Arabia
B. Sri Lanka
D. New Zealand