Daily Current Affairs and GK | 15 November 2019
1. 'Sishu Suraksha App’ launched by Assam
- On the occasion of Children’s Day, the Govt. of Assam has launched a mobile application named ‘Sishu Suraksha’ to tackle the cases of child abuse and child trafficking.
- It is 1st ever exclusive mobile application to report cases online against child abuse, child trafficking and violation of child’s rights that are committed in the state.
- The app is compatible with Andriod and iOS devices.
- The current Chief Minister of Assam is Sarbananda Sonowal.
2. 7th Regional Conservation Forum of IUCN
- Recently, the 7th Regional Conservation Forum was held at Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The forum was organized by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- India was represented by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) at the forum.
- Significant findings of the Forum are as follows:
- A drastic increase in the melting of glaciers in the region of Hindu Kush and Himalayas, which can lead to a situation of severe food and water scarcity for around 800 million people living in South and South-East Asia, including China.
- The melting of glaciers has been doubled from the last 40 years due to Global warming. This way, 36% of glaciers of the region are going to extinct by the year 2100.
- In worst conditions, the melting of glaciers can increase the risk of the outbreak of floods in climatically drier western regions.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (ICUN): It is an international organization dedicated to the conservation and sustainable use of natural resources. It was founded in 1948 and is headquartered in Gland, Switzerland.
3. UNDP Green Climate Fund provides India support of worth $43 million
- UNDP Green Climate Fund is going to grant India worth 43 million dollars to boost the climate-resilient livelihoods of the people living in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- The project will also include revamping and conservation of over 15,000 hectares of mangroves, coral reefs, salt marshes and seagrasses of India.
- Green Climate Fund: It is a funding unit which was formed under the framework of UNFCCC to raise fund and help developing countries to counter climate-driven problems. It was found in 2010 and is headquartered in Incheon, South Korea.
4. Supreme Court refers petition of Sabrimala case to the 7- Judge bench
- Supreme Court has referred the petitions of Sabrimala Temple case to the larger 7-Judge bench.
- The Apex Court also held that the 7-Judges bench will now be handling all the religious issues relating to entry of women in Sabarimala temple and mosques and practice of female genital disfigurement in the Dawoodi Bohra community.
- Sabrimala Temple Case: In September 2018, the Supreme Court ruled out the custom that prohibits females aged between 10-50 years from entering into the shrine of Ayyappa in the Sabrimala temple in Kerala. Supreme Court also held that this centuries-old Hindu religious practice is unconstitutional.
5. Bilateral Meeting held with Switzerland on tackling Tax evasion
- India held a bilateral meeting with Switzerland in New Delhi regarding the issue of transparency in solving offshore tax evasion.
- India expressed satisfaction with the progress made on effective administrative control over tax matters.
- India encouraged the efforts made by Switzerland in providing help in HSBC cases.
6. Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft successfully departed from the asteroid ‘Ryugu’
- Japan’s Hayabusa2 spacecraft has started its one-year-long journey after collecting samples and data from the asteroid ‘Ryugu’ towards the Earth.
- The spacecraft was launched in December 2014 and reached the asteroid in June 2018. It is now expected to reach on Earth in late 2020.
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) had launched the Hayabusa2 spacecraft to collect soil samples and Data from the asteroid the ‘Ryugu’, which could able to provide clues to the origin of the solar system.
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA): It is Japan’s national aerospace agency. It was renamed in 2003 and is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
7. 5.4 billion fake Facebook accounts removed
- So far this year, Facebook has abolished 5.4 billion fake and abusive accounts.
- Facebook has started to improve its ability to detect fake accounts and has improved transparency.
- Facebook: It is a social media networking company founded by Mark Zuckerberg in 2004. It is headquartered in California, US.
8. Investigation started for the crime against Rohingya’s Muslim
- International Criminal Court (ICC) has approved to start an investigation into crimes committed against the Rohingya Muslim minority of Myanmar.
- Gambia filed the case against Myanmar for the genocide of Rohingyas in ICJ, which has jurisdiction over the crimes that partially happened in Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh is a member of the ICC, but Myanmar is not a member.
- In August 2017, the Military of Myanmar had begun a counter-insurgency campaign against the Rohingyas in response to an insurgent attack.
- International Criminal Court (ICC): It is an international tribunal to investigate and proceed criminal cases started due to war, genocide, etc. It was established in 2002 and is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands.
- ICC is different from ICJ as the later only deals in disputes among countries.
9. Indian Mathematician who challenged Einstein’s Theory passes away
- Indian mathematician Vashishtha Narayan Singh died of prolonged illness at the age of 74. He was suffering from schizophrenia for the last 40 years.
- He supposed to have challenged Einstein's theory of relativity.
- He was a renowned professor of IIT, Kanpur and Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.
10. Appointment of FIFA’s new Chief of Global Football Development
- Arsene Wenger has been appointed as the FIFA’s new Chief of Global Football Development.
- He is a well known coach. He made English Club Arsenal as one of the strongest football clubs in Europe by winning three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups.
- FIFA: It is a non-profit organization that deals with governing the games of football. It is the highest authority of the game football. It was founded in 1904, and it is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following states has recently launched the ‘Sishu Suraksha App”?
b. Tamil Nadu
d .West Bengal
Correct answer: c
2. ‘Green Climate Fund’ comes under the framework of which of the following organizations?
Correct answer: a
3. Sabrimala Temple is located in which of the following states?
a. Tamil Nadu
Correct answer: b
4. Name the asteroid from which Japan’s HAYABUSA2 spacecraft is going to return.
Correct answer: c
5. Vashishtha Narayan Singh has recently died. Who was he?
Correct answer: b
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More