- 1. India and Australia participated in 4th edition of Biennial Maritime Series 'AUSINDEX'.
- 2. International Coffee Day: 1 October
- 3. India-UAE high level Joint Task Force meeting on Investment held in Dubai.
- 4. Government launched Kamdhenu Deepawali 2021 campaign.
- 5. Second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban and AMRUT launched by PM Modi on 01 October.
- 6. World’s largest khadi national flag unfurled in Leh on Gandhi Jayanti.
- 7. Healthgiri Awards 2021 were presented on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- 8. India-Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ to be conducted from 4 to 15 October.
- 9. Vice President presented Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award.
- 10. FC Goa won Durand Cup football trophy by defeating Mohammedan Sporting.
- 11. Power Ministry promulgated new electricity rules for overhauling transmission system planning.
REPUBLIC DAY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code REPUBLIC
1. India and Australia participated in 4th edition of Biennial Maritime Series 'AUSINDEX'.
- Indian Navy and Australian Navy have participated in the fourth edition of the biennial maritime series 'AUSINDEX' on 30 September.
- In this edition of AUSINDEX, surface units of both countries have been included.
- HMAS Rankin, Royal Australian Air Force P-8A and F-18 aircraft, helicopters of Australian and Indian Navy participated in this maritime exercise.
- The third edition of the exercise was held in the Bay of Bengal in 2019. Anti-submarine drills were introduced for the first time in this edition.
- The exercise has provided an opportunity for both navies to enhance inter-operability and develop a common understanding of procedures for maritime security operations.
- AUSINDEX: It was started in 2015 as a bilateral maritime exercise between India and Australia.
Topic: Important Days
2. International Coffee Day: 1 October
- Every year 1 October is celebrated as International Coffee Day.
- The International Coffee Organisation (ICO) celebrated the first official Coffee Day in Milan in 2015.
- The main objective of the day is to promote the fair trade of coffee and to raise the issues of coffee growers across the globe.
- It is celebrated to educate people about the benefits, history, and popularity of coffee.
- The 'International Coffee Day' term was first used by the Southern Food and Beverage Museum during a press conference in 2009.
- The theme for International Coffee Day 2021 is 'Coffee's Next Generation'.
- India is the world's sixth-largest producer of coffee. It is mainly produced by Karnataka and Kerala.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
3. India-UAE high level Joint Task Force meeting on Investment held in Dubai.
- The 9th India-UAE high- level Joint Task Force meeting on Investment was organized in Dubai.
- India and UAE established Joint Task Force in 2013 to promote economic ties between India and UAE.
- India and UAE also signed the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Agreement to boost economic ties in 2017.
- In this meeting, both sides reviewed the positive outcomes achieved through the work of the Joint Task Force.
- India and UAE are considering reviewing the Bilateral Investment Treaty. They are also exploring mutually beneficial methods to further deepen the economic ties.
- The UAE Special Desk within Invest India and the National Investment Promotion Agency of India are playing an active role in resolving the issues between both countries.
- The Joint Task Force has provided an important platform for dialogue between both countries.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
4. Government launched Kamdhenu Deepawali 2021 campaign.
- The government launched Kamdhenu Deepawali 2021 campaign to promote Cow dung-based Deepak lamps and Laxmi-Ganesh Idols.
- Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog also organized a National Webinar to launch Kamdhenu Deepawali 2021 campaign.
- Kamdhenu Deepawali campaign has been launched to make Cows economically useful by proper economic use of Cow Dung and Cow Urine.
- The Gomaya lamps made by Cow Entrepreneurs and Cow owners will provide an eco-friendly alternative.
- This campaign will also help Gaushalas in becoming Self Sustainable. The government is promoting the use of Panchgavya products.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Government Schemes and initiatives
5. Second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban and AMRUT launched by PM Modi on 01 October.
- Second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) and Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) was launched by PM Modi on 01 October at Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi.
- PM Modi said that India is processing nearly one lakh tonne of waste every day. He also said that garbage mountains in the cities will be removed completely under the second phase of two missions.
- As per the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), SBM-U 2.0 and AMRUT 2.0 have been designed to make all cities garbage free and water secure.
- SBM-U 2.0 envisions making all cities garbage free. It also envisions ensuring grey and black water management in all cities other than those covered under AMRUT.
- SBM-U 2.0 further envisions to make all urban local bodies open defecation free+. It envisions making urban local bodies with a population of less than one lakh as open defecation free++.
- The PMO said that the outlay of SBM-U 2.0 is about Rs 1.41 lakh crore. PMO also said that the SBM-U 2.0 will focus on source segregation of solid waste.
- As per PMO, SBM-U 2.0 will also focus on scientific processing of all types of municipal solid waste and remediation of legacy dumpsites for effective solid waste management.
- The PMO said that AMRUT 2.0 aims at providing 100% coverage of water supply to all households in around 4,700 urban local bodies by providing about 2.68 crore tap connections.
- PMO further said that AMRUT 2.0 also aims at 100% coverage of sewerage and septage in 500 AMRUT cities by providing around 2.64 crore sewer or septage connections.
- As per PMO, the outlay of AMRUT 2.0 is around 2.87 lakh crore. AMRUT 2.0 will adopt principles of circular economy.
- It will promote conservation and rejuvenation of surface and ground water bodies. It will promote data-led governance in water management.
- Swachh Bharat Mission was announced by Prime Minister on 15th August 2014 and it was formally launched on 2nd October 2014. AMRUT was launched in 2015.
Topic: National News
6. World’s largest khadi national flag unfurled in Leh on Gandhi Jayanti.
- World’s largest khadi national flag was unfurled in Leh on Gandhi Jayanti.
- It was unfurled to commemorate 152nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and 75th anniversary of India's Independence.
- Event was organised by Fire and Fury Corps at Leh Garrison where Lieutenant Governor R K Mathur unfurled the flag.
- This 1000 kg flag is the largest handwoven cotton Khadi flag ever manufactured in India. It measures 225 feet by 150 feet.
- Mumbai based Khadi Dyers and Printers has made this flag. It is affiliated with Khadi Village and Industries Commission.
- Sura-Soi Engineer Regiment brought the national flag from Mumbai to Leh. It was entrusted with the task of installing a flag at the top of the high mountains for the unveiling ceremony.
- The event started with the Brass Band of Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre along with the students of Ladakh Ignited Minds performing the National Anthem.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
7. Healthgiri Awards 2021 were presented on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, Healthgiri Awards 2021 was presented to salute the invincible spirit of corona warriors.
- It has been given by Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, and Aroon Purie, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief, India Today Group.
- Healthgiri Awards is the reincarnated version of the India Today Safaigiri Awards. Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the winners of Healthgiri awards 2021.
List of Important winners are:
Best Government Hospital Combating Covid 19
Lok Nayak Hospital, Delhi
Best Private Hospital Combating Covid 19
Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
Best Charity Hospital Combating Covid 19
Topiwala National Medical College and B.Y.L. Charitable Hospital, Mumbai
Best State Combating Covid 19
Best Districts in Combating Covid 19
Special Award for Vaccine Manufacturing
Bharat Biotech and Serum Institute of India
8. India-Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ to be conducted from 4 to 15 October.
- The 8th edition of India-Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ will be conducted from 4th to 15th October.
- 120 personnel of the Indian Army will participate in the exercise along with a battalion of the Sri Lankan Army.
- The main objective of the exercise is to enhance interoperability between Armies of both countries and to share best practices of counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
- It will act as a catalyst in bringing synergy and cooperation between both Armies.
- Operations at the sub-unit level for counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism will be part of this Joint Military Exercise.
- This joint military exercise is conducted between the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army annually since 2012.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Vice President presented Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu presented Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution.
- This award has been conferred to eminent writer Nirode Kumar Barooah, Assam Branch of the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust and Shillong Chamber Choir at a special function in Guwahati.
- This award was instituted by the Assam government in memory of the state's first Chief Minister Gopinath Bordoloi.
- It is one of the biggest civilian awards of Assam. The award carries a cash reward of Rs 5 lakh, a citation, and a shawl.
- The Assam branch of the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust was founded by Mahatma Gandhi on 9 January 1946.
- Shillong Chamber Choir (SCC) is a renowned musical group founded in 2001. It has performed on various national and international platforms.
10. FC Goa won Durand Cup football trophy by defeating Mohammedan Sporting.
- FC Goa won their first Durand Cup football trophy by defeating Mohammedan Sporting by 1-0 in the final.
- This is the first-ever trophy for FC Goa coach Juan Ferrando Fenoll's in India. Captain Eduardo Bedia scored the Goal in the 105th minute of the match.
- The 130th edition of the Durand Cup has been organized at Kolkata from 5 Sep to 3 Oct. It is one of the important football tournaments in India.
- Durand Cup’s first edition was held in 1888. It is named after Mortimer Durand, then Foreign Secretary in charge of India.
- Gokulam Kerala had won the 2019 Durand Cup by defeating Mohun Bagan 2–1.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
11. Power Ministry promulgated new electricity rules for overhauling transmission system planning.
- The Union Ministry of Power has promulgated the Electricity (Transmission System Planning, Development and Recovery of Inter-State Transmission Charges) Rules 2021 for overhauling of the transmission system.
- It will help in giving power sector utilities easier access to the electricity transmission network across the country.
- At present, power generating companies apply for long-term access (LTA) based on their supply tie-ups.
- The new rules enabled the first time that the transmission capacity can be sold, shared or purchased by the States and generators.
- Now, the transmission capacity can be sold, shared or purchased by the States and generators.
- The new rules will also empower state power distribution and transmission companies to determine their transmission requirements and build them.
- The Government is committed to strengthening the transmission system for the supply of power from one State to another State.