Daily Current Affairs and GK | 22 and 23 December 2019
Ganesh Chaturthi OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code GANESHA
1. India-Iran 19th Joint Commission meeting in Tehran
- S Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister of India, co-chaired the 19th Joint Commission meeting with Iran’s Foreign Minister in Tehran.
- The two sides agreed to speed up the Chabahar project and work closely on shared interests.
- External Affairs Minister of India is on a two-day visit to Iran.
- Iran is a country in Western Asia whose capital is Tehran.
2. Girls’ Hostel constructed for Nepal Armed Police Force School
- Girls’ Hostel has been constructed for the Nepal Armed Police Force School, Kirtipur, by the Indian government.
- Dr. Ajay Kumar, Deputy Chief of Mission, Indian Embassy, has inaugurated the hostel building in Kathmandu, which was attended by senior officers of Nepal Armed Police Force and other leaders.
- Nepal Armed Police Force School was instituted in 2005 under the APF Welfare Service Centre of Nepal Armed Police Force. Currently, 21% of the students in this school are girls.
- The hostel building was constructed with grant assistance of 40.42 million Nepali rupees provided by Govt. of India.
3. 66th National Film Awards to be presented today
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu will present the 66th National Film Awards today in New Delhi.
- The best feature film award will be given to Gujarati movie Hellaro.
- Best Actor Award- Ayushmann Khurrana (Movie-Andhadhun) and Vicky Kaushal (Movie-Uri)
- Best Actress Award- Keerthy Suresh (Telugu Movie- Mahanati)
- Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment- Badhaai Ho
- Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration- Ondalla Eradalla (Kannada film)
- Best Film on Environment Conservation and Preservation Award- Paani (Marathi movie)
- Most Film Friendly State Award- Uttarakhand
- Award for Best Non-Feature Film- Son-Rise and the Secret Life of Frogs (Director- Vibha Bakshi)
4. Cuba’s first Prime Minister appointed in more than 40 years
- Manuel Marrero Cruz has been appointed as the first Prime Minister of Cuba in more than 40 years.
- He was appointed by the President of Cuba Miguel Díaz-Canel under the new rules of a new constitution.
- He earlier served as tourism minister for 16 years and helped boost Cuba’s economy.
- The post of PM was removed in 1976 by then-revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
- It is an island country located in the northern Carribean.
- Capital: Havana
- Currency: Cuban Peso
5. Red Cross Society of India mobile app released
- Indian President has released the mobile app of the Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad.
- The app has been developed by the Telangana Centre for Good Governance within 3 months.
- The app is available in all languages and will enable an increase in access to blood banks and membership of the Red Cross.
- Indian Red Cross Society
- It is a statutory body that was established in 1920 under the Indian Red Cross Society Act.
- The President of India is the President of this society.
- It is a voluntary humanitarian organization that provides relief to the people in the events of disasters.
6. Integrated Processing Units of Sikkim IFFCO
- Chief Minister of Sikkim Prem Singh Tamang laid the foundation stone for the two Integrated Processing Units of Sikkim Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Organics Limited (SIFFCO).
- SIFFCO is a joint venture between the Sikkim government and IFFCO that aims to market the organic products from Sikkim and other north-eastern states.
- Ginger, turmeric, large cardamom, and buckwheat are the main commercial crops in which SIFFCO will operate.
- Sikkim is the first organic state of India.
7. ‘Chilai-Kalan’ begins in Jammu & Kashmir
- ‘Chilai-Kalan’, a 40-day period of extreme cold, has started in Jammu & Kashmir.
- The period is known for its below zero temperatures and frozen water bodies.
- The weather will remain dry and cold with temperature going below freezing point and snow lasts longer during these 40 days.
8. US President officially launched the US military ‘Space Force.’
- The US President Donald Trump has officially signed the 2020 National Defence Authorisation Act to establish US Space Force.
- Space Force is a new military service that has been formed in more than 70 years.
- US President cited the growing influence of Russia and China as one of the reasons for the launch of the US Space Force.
- He also clarified that the launch of force is not intended to introduce troops in the space.
- The Space Force will consist of 16,000 Air force and civilian personnel and will be administered by Secretary of Air Force.
9. World’s Oldest Fossil forest found
- The scientists have found the remains of the world’s oldest fossil forest in a sandstone quarry in Cairo, New York.
- The web of fossilized roots marks the spot where trees were present once.
- The team of researchers has mapped around 3,000 square meters of this forest.
- One of the ancient trees belongs to a fossil plant group cladoxylopsids.
10. China-Brazil earth resource Satellite launched
- A new satellite jointly developed by Brazil and China named The China-Brazil Earth Resource Satellite-4A (CBERS-4A) has been launched.
- The satellite was launched into space via Long March-4B carrier from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre of China.
- The satellite has been developed as part of the bilateral programme.
11. Government launches EChO Network programme
- The government has launched the EChO Network programme to catalyse cross-disciplinary leadership in India.
- The programme focuses on increasing awareness, knowledge, and promoting research in Indian ecology and the environment.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, India Climate Collaborative (ICC), RoundGlass, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP), Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) and Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment (ATREE) are the founding partners of EChO network.
- Under the program, postdoctoral leaders will be trained in research, and gaps in knowledge will be identified with respect to certain topics in the human and environmental system.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. India-Iran 19th Joint Commission Meeting was held in which of the following countries?
2. Recently, India has constructed the girls’ hostel for the Armed forces school of which country?
3. Which movie has been selected as the best popular film providing wholesome entertainment in 66th National Film Awards?
- Badhaai Ho
4. Recently in which country a Prime Minister has been appointed in more than 40 years?
5. When was Indian Red Cross Society established?
6. A joint venture between IFFCO and which state government has been inaugurated?
7. Chilai-Kalan, recently in the news, is
- An old mosque
- Old Mughal Painting
- Rajasthani tradition
- 40 day period of extreme cold
8. Which of the following country has launched Space Force?
9. Scientists have discovered world’s oldest fossil forest in which of the following city?
- Rio de Jenario
- New York
10. What is CBERS-4A?
- New variety of Wheat
- Gene Technology
- None of the above
11. The central government has launched EChO Network with an aim -
- To increase awareness regarding women rights
- To catalyse cross-disciplinary leadership
- To promote space technology
- To promote holistic development of children