- 1. ICC nominated Rishabh Pant and two others for ICC Men’s Player of the Month award.
- 2. Dalai Lama penned a new book titled ‘The Little Book of Encouragement’.
- 3. Unified web portal for monitoring progress of GOBARDHAN activities launched.
- 4. India is hosting Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave.
- 5. Ajay Singh elected for second consecutive term as President of Boxing Federation of India (BFI).
- 6. Chauri Chaura Centenary Celebrations inaugurated by PM Modi in Gorakhpur, UP.
- 7. Birth centenary celebrations of legendary classical singer Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi started.
- 8. World Cancer Day celebrated on 4 February.
- 9. US and Russia extended the New START nuclear treaty for the next five years.
- 10. India’s trade deficit with China is on decline.
- 11. Nuclear Energy Production in India.
- 12. 2020 has been the worst year for World Tourism.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
1. ICC nominated Rishabh Pant and two others for ICC Men’s Player of the Month award.
- ICC has nominated Rishabh Pant, England skipper Joe Root and Ireland’s Paul Stirling for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award. It will be given for January month.
- In January, Joe Root has scored 426 runs in two test matches, Rishabh Pant has scored 245 runs in two test matches and Paul Stirling has scored 420 runs in 5 ODIs.
- In the women category, Pakistan’s Diana Baig and South African cricketer Shabnim Ismail and Marizanne Kapp are nominated for the monthly honour.
- ICC has introduced the ICC Player of the Month awards in January 2021. It recognizes the best performances of both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket.
- International Cricket Council:
- The International Cricket Council is the global governing body of cricket.
- It was established in 1909 by the representatives of Australia, England, and South Africa as the Imperial Cricket Conference.
- It is headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Books and Authors
2. Dalai Lama penned a new book titled ‘The Little Book of Encouragement’.
- Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has authored a new book, “The Little Book of Encouragement”.
- The book has been edited by Renuka Singh and published by Penguin Random House. The book is comprised of 130 quotes.
- In this book, he mentioned that the key to happiness is inner peace. We need to inculcate human values for inner peace.
- In his book, he discussed the challenges and impact of COVID-19. He has also written about various issues such as climate change, global warming, Sino-India ties, Tibet, etc.
- Dalai Lama is a title given by the Tibetan people to the foremost spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism. Tenzin Gyatso is the 14th and current Dalai Lama.
Topic: Government schemes and initiatives
3. Unified web portal for monitoring progress of GOBARDHAN activities launched.
- Unified web portal for monitoring progress of GOBARDHAN activities has been jointly launched by union ministers of Agriculture, Petroleum, Animal Husbandry and Jal Shakti.
- GOBARDHAN activities form a key component of Swachh Bharat Mission Phase-2 for organic solid waste management.
- GOBARDHAN programme will provide people a way for proper disposal of dung and achieve goal of ODF Plus.
- Petroleum Minister said that through scheme of GOBARDHAN, people will get ethanol, bio-diesel and compressed bio-fuel in future.
- Agriculture Minister said that ODF Plus goal in Phase 2 of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) will depend on GOBARDHAN scheme.
- As per Drinking Water and Sanitation Secretary, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under Ministry of Jal Shakti will work to implement GOBARDHAN scheme.
- GOBARDHAN scheme is being operationalized as a programme under Swachch Bharat Mission Grameen-Phase 2.
- Swachch Bharat Mission Grameen-Phase 2:
- Phase 2 of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) was approved by Cabinet one year ago in February 2020.
- Swachch Bharat Mission Grameen-Phase 2 focuses on Open Defecation Free Plus (ODF Plus). ODF sustainability and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM) are two components of ODF Plus.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. India is hosting Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave.
- India is hosting Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave with the theme of Enhanced Peace, Security and Cooperation in the Indian Ocean.
- India is hosting it on the sidelines of Aero India 2021. Defence Ministers of four countries -Maldives, Comoros, Iran and Madagascar have confirmed their physical participation till 30 January 2021.
- Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave is an initiative to promote dialogue on peace, stability and prosperity in the Indian Ocean region.
- Information-sharing towards increased maritime domain awareness, Humanitarian Assistance, Disaster Relief and other aspects will also be addressed during the conclave.
- The Indian Ocean is the world's third-largest ocean. It is bounded by Asia to the north, Africa to the west and Australia to the east.
5. Ajay Singh elected for second consecutive term as President of Boxing Federation of India (BFI).
- Ajay Singh has been elected for second consecutive term as Boxing Federation of India (BFI) President.
- He defeated former Maharashtra sports minister Ashish Shelar in the general elections held on 3 February.
- Hemanta Kumar Kalita and Dig Vijay Singh were elected as Secretary General and Treasurer of BFI, respectively.
- Boxing Federation of India (BFI) is a nodal body for Olympic-style boxing in India. It will host International Amateur Boxing Association Men’s World Championship in 2021.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
6. Chauri Chaura Centenary Celebrations inaugurated by PM Modi in Gorakhpur, UP.
- Chauri Chaura Centenary Celebrations has been inaugurated by PM Modi in Gorakhpur, UP via video-conferencing.
- The Chauri Chaura centenary celebrations are being held to mark 100 years of the Chauri Chaura incident. PM Modi also released a postal stamp dedicated to the Chauri Chaura Centenary.
- Chauri Chaura Centenary Celebrations will be held for a year from 4 February 2021 to 4 February 2022. State government has also launched a website on this occasion.
- UP CM has ordered the inclusion of Chauri Chaura event in the curriculum of UP Board. Efforts are being made to record Chauri Chaura Centenary Celebrations in the Guinness Book by singing Vande Mataram.
- In Indian history, violence at village Chauri Chaura in Gorakhpur on 04 February 1922 is known as Chauri Chaura incident. After Chauri Chaura incident, Gandhi Ji withdrew Non-Cooperation Movement in February 1922.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Personality in News
7. Birth centenary celebrations of legendary classical singer Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi started.
- Birth centenary celebrations of legendary classical singer Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi has started.
- The birth centenary celebrations will continue throughout the whole year. Government of India is celebrating his birth centenary by organizing various events.
- On this occasion, Films Division of India will screen a biopic on Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, directed by Gulzar. Rithwik Foundation for Performing Arts is organizing two-day event, SwarBhaskar 100, in Mumbai to commemorate his legacy.
- SwarBhaskar 100 will come to an end with a rendition of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi’s compositions by Jayateerth Mevundi of Kirana Gharana.
- Pandit Bhimsen Joshi was from Kirana Gharana of the Hindustani style of Indian classical music. He got Bharat Ratna in 2009.
- Hindustani style and Carnatic style are two styles of Indian classical music. The term ‘Gharana’ refers to sub-style within Hindustani styles of Indian classical music.
- Agra gharana, Gwalior gharana, Jaipur gharana, Kirana gharana and Mewati gharana are names of some gharanas within Hindustani style of Indian classical music.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
8. World Cancer Day celebrated on 4 February.
- World Cancer Day is celebrated every year on 4 February to raise awareness about cancer- its detection, prevention and treatment.
- It is celebrated to mark the anniversary of the signing of the ‘Charter of Paris Against Cancer’.
- It was started at first ‘World Summit Against Cancer’ held in Paris in 2000.
- It is organised by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC).
- The theme of this year’s World Cancer Day is “I Am and I Will”.
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. In the world, 17 people die every minute from cancer. Chemotherapy is used in the treatment of Cancer.
(Source: News on AIR)
9. US and Russia extended the New START nuclear treaty for the next five years.
- The United States and Russia have extended the New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) nuclear treaty for the next five years. The treaty is expiring on 5 February.
- It limits the number of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launchers, submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) launchers, and heavy bombers equipped with nuclear warheads.
- Now, it will expire on 5 February 2026.
- New START Treaty:
- It was signed on 8 April 2010 and came into force in February 2011.
- It has replaced the 1991 START I treaty and superseded the 2002 Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty (SORT).
- It is a treaty between the United States of America and the Russian Federation on measures for the further reduction and limitation of strategic offensive arms.
Topic: Indian Economy
10. India’s trade deficit with China is on decline.
- In recent years, India’s trade deficit with China has declined continuously.
- According to the government, 23% of contraction has been observed in the trade deficit of the last three financial years.
- India’s export has increased to more than 24% while import has reduced to 14%.
- Government has taken several initiatives to reduce the trade deficit with china, including the promotion of domestic manufacturing, encouraging export, etc.
- The trade deficit between both countries was at USD 53.56 billion in 2018-19 and USD 63 billion in 2017-18. It fell to USD 48.66 billion in 2019-20.
- The two countries traded about $92.68 billion worth of goods in 2019.
- In recent years, China has emerged as a major market for Indian products like seafood, petrochemicals, gems and jewellery.
- India and China trade detail:
Trade in Million US$
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
11. Nuclear Energy Production in India.
- At present, there are 22 nuclear reactors with a capacity of 6780 MW are operational in India.
- In addition to these nuclear reactors, 8 nuclear reactors of 6000 MW capacity are under construction.
- The government has aimed to increase the nuclear capacity to 22480 MW by 2031.
- The government has also approved the construction of 10 indigenous 700 MW Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors and 2 Light Water Reactors (LWRs).
- Currently, India produces less than 2% of its electricity from nuclear power plants. India will add a nuclear capacity of 5,300 MW in the next five years.
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL):
- It is an Indian public sector undertaking.
- It is responsible for the generation of nuclear power for electricity.
- It works under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
Topic: Reports and Indices
12. 2020 has been the worst year for World Tourism.
- According to the UNWTO World Tourism Barometer report, 2020 has been the worst year for World Tourism. International arrivals have dropped by 74% in 2020.
- Tourism Industry of Asia and Pacific regions have been impacted most by the pandemic. It has recorded a decline of 300 million tourists.
- The Middle East and Africa regions have recorded a decline of 75%. Europe recorded a -70% decrease in arrivals.
- The report has estimated a loss of US$1.3 trillion and job loss of about 100 million people.
- The report shows a mixed prospect for 2021. Some of the experts expect better prospects for 2021 compared to last year while many experts expect further worsening of the situation.
- Most of the experts believe that pre-pandemic levels cannot be achieved before 2023.
- World Tourism Organization (UNWTO):
- It is a United Nations specialized agency.
- It is responsible for the promotion of tourism as a driver of economic growth.
- It has 159 member and 6 associate members.
- Its headquarters is located in Madrid, Spain.