- 1. Bureau of Indian Standards celebrated its 74th Foundation Day.
- 2. IAF and IDSR signed an MoU for academics programmes.
- 3. 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention will be organised on 9th January.
- 4. India has demanded reform within the UN Security Council.
- 5. Dr Shailla Cannie has been selected for the National Florence Nightingale Award 2020.
- 6. Karnataka government launched Krishi Sanjeevani vans for farmers.
- 7. Ashish Pethe elected as chairman of All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council.
- 8. Tesla CEO Elon Musk became the richest person in the world.
- 9. Union Education Minister inaugurated Virtual International Akhand Conference ‘EDUCON-2020’.
- 10. Government invites Expression of Interest (EoI) for strategic disinvestment in BEML Limited.
- 11. Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) introduces Liberalised Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Package for MSMEs.
Shining September Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SEP25
Topic: National News
1. Bureau of Indian Standards celebrated its 74th Foundation Day.
- Bureau of Indian Standards has observed its 74th Foundation day on 6 January 2021.
- On this occasion, the Union Minister Piyush Goyal inaugurated the Toy Testing facilities of BIS and launched Courses on Assaying & Hallmarking and Quality Control.
- The Toy Testing facilities will help in increasing the manufacturing of Indigenous toys.
- The government has recently included toys under the compulsory certification of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
- It is an Indian national standard body that works under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- It is a statutory body that was established by the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016.
- Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- Dr. Lal C Verman is the Founder Director of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
2. IAF and IDSR signed an MoU for academics programmes.
- The Indian Air force has signed an MoU with the Institute of Defence Studies and Research (IDSR), an autonomous institution of Gujarat University, for officers to undertake various courses.
- Under this MoU, officers of the Indian Air Force can do Doctoral Research, Post-Graduate Programme and Post Graduate Diploma programmes.
- Air force officers can take different courses of fields such as Defence Management, National Security, Aerospace and Aviation Science, etc.
- The main objective of this MoU is to promote research by Officers and to develop a think-tank of persons with strategic knowledge under project Akashdeep.
- Indian Air Force:
- It was established on 8 October 1932 and hence, Air Force Day is celebrated every year on 8 October.
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Air Force.
- The Chief of the Air Staff is Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
- 1st Chief of the Air Staff is Sir Thomas Walker Elmhirst.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
3. 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention will be organised on 9th January.
- The 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention will be inaugurated by Prime Minister on 9th January virtually.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention is organised by the Ministry of External Affairs. It provides an opportunity to connect with overseas Indians.
- The theme of this year’s Convention is “Contributing to Atma Nirbhar Bharat”.
- Two other sessions will also be organised on this occasion. The first session will be on Role of Diaspora in Atma Nirbhar Bharat. The other session will be on the Post Covid Challenges in the field of Health, Economic, Social and International Relations.
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards will also be conferred on the occasion.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas:
- It is celebrated every year on 9 January to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- It is being celebrated every year since 2003.
- On this day in 1915, Mahatma Gandhi had returned to India from South Africa.
- From 2015 onwards, it is celebrated once every two years.
Topic: International News
4. India has demanded reform within the UN Security Council.
- India has raised the demand for reform within the UN Security Council.
- India has raised the voice against the lack of representation of African countries among the permanent members of UNSC.
- India has raised this issue during an Open debate on “Challenges of maintaining peace and security in fragile contexts”.
- African countries are emerging nations of the world so they should get representation in UNSC to defend their interests.
- Africa continent:
- It is the world’s second-largest and second-most-populous continent.
- It has 54 countries, 8 territories and 2 independent states.
- It is the world’s second-fastest-growing economy.
- United Nations Security Council:
- It is one of the six major organs of the United Nations, responsible for ensuring international peace and security.
- There are 5 permanent members and 10 non-permanent members in this council.
- It is headquartered in New York, United States.
- It was established on 24 October 1945.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
5. Dr Shailla Cannie has been selected for the National Florence Nightingale Award 2020.
- Dr Shailla Cannie, Principal, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi College of Nursing, will be conferred the National Florence Nightingale Award 2020.
- This award is given to outstanding nursing personnel working in any Central, State/UTs, Private, Missionary and Voluntary Organizations.
- It is the highest national award in the field of nursing.
- It is given in remembrance of Florence J Nightingale.
- The winner will be awarded a cash prize of Rs 50,000, a certificate and a medal.
- Florence Nightingale:
- She was a British social reformer.
- She is the founder of modern nursing.
Topic: State News/ Karnataka
6. Karnataka government launched Krishi Sanjeevani vans for farmers.
- Karnataka, Agriculture Department, has launched 40 Krishi Sanjeevani vans to help farmers in the testing of soil and water. It will also suggest measures for pest control to farmers.
- It will also help farmers in adopting new farming techniques.
- The vans will study the fertility of the soil, crops suitable for the soil and need of the pest control.
- It has been launched under the National Krishi Vikas Yojana.
- It is the largest state in South India. Its capital is Bengaluru.
- It shares its border with Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- Chief Minister of Karnataka: B S Yediyurappa
- Governor of Karnataka: Vajubhai Vala
(Source: News on AIR)
7. Ashish Pethe elected as chairman of All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council.
- Ashish Pethe and Saiyam Mehra are appointed as Chairman and Vice-chairman of All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council. Their tenure will be for two years.
- The election process was conducted in a virtual mode.
- Ashish Pethe will continue on the post of Zonal Chairman of West.
- All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council:
- It was established in 2005.
- It is the apex body for the gems and jewellery industry in India.
- It represents the interests of over 6 lakh gem and jewellery businesses from across the country.
8. Tesla CEO Elon Musk became the richest person in the world.
- Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, has become the richest person in the world. He has a net worth of around $185 billion.
- He has replaced Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos.
- Elon Musk:
- Elon Musk is the founder of SpaceX.
- He is the CEO of Tesla, Inc.
- He has topped the Forbes list of the Most Innovative Leaders of 2019.
- He has given the idea of high-speed transportation system known as the Hyperloop.
- It is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company.
- It is known for its reusable rockets and astronaut capsules.
- Its headquarters is located in California.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
9. Union Education Minister inaugurated Virtual International Akhand Conference ‘EDUCON-2020’.
- Union Education Minister has inaugurated a two-day International Akhand Conference ‘EDUCON 2020’.
- This conference has been organised by the Central University of Punjab, Bathinda (CUPB) in association with the Global Educational Research Association (GERA).
- It will help researchers and students to get familiar with the new technologies from the field of education.
- In this conference, scholars from different countries will discuss the theme of ‘Envisioning Education for Transforming Youth to Realize Global Peace’ for 31 hours continuously.
- Many issues such as the scenario of higher education and school education by 2050, developing disruptive technologies for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) Education, training youth for strategic future jobs in Universities, will be discussed in this conference.
- The participants will also discuss the use of ICT in higher education to promote equitable quality education in India.
- The researchers and educationists will also share their views on the National Education Policy-2020.
- Ramesh Pokhriyal is the current Union Education Minister.
Topic: Indian Economy
10. Government invites Expression of Interest (EoI) for strategic disinvestment in BEML Limited.
- Government has invited Expression of Interest (EoI) for strategic disinvestment in BEML Limited.
- Government has decided to disinvest 26% of the equity share capital of BEML Limited. Government’s current shareholding in BEML Limited is 54.03%.
- Minister of Coal & Mines has said that Rs 30,000 crore will be invested by National Aluminium Company Ltd (NALCO) for its expansion and diversification plans.
- Minister was addressing the 41st Foundation Day event of NALCO. He also said that the government has started a non-ferrous metal import monitoring system for aluminium and copper.
- Government has also bid for managing the share sale process in Rashtriya Chemical and Fertilizers Ltd (RCFL). Government’s shareholding in RCFL is 75%. The government want to sell 10% stake in RCFL.
- Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers Ltd (RCFL) is a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. It is India’s fourth-largest producer of fertilizers. It is a Mini Ratna Company.
- BEML Limited was earlier named as Bharat Earth Movers Limited. It is a Public Sector Undertaking that comes under the Defence Ministry. It is the biggest Rail Coach Manufacturer in India.
- National Aluminium Company Ltd (Nalco) is a Navratna Central Power Sector Enterprise (CPSE). It comes under Ministry of Mines.
Topic: Indian Economy
11. Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) introduces Liberalised Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Package for MSMEs.
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) has introduced the Liberalised Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Package for MSMEs.
- CBIC has simplified compliance criteria and documentary requirements. MSMEs must have a valid certificate form their line-Ministry.
- Under the relaxed norms, MSMEs must have filed minimum 10 Customs clearance documents in one year and having a clean compliance record over 2 years to apply for the scheme.
- CBIC has committed that it will decide on an application for grant of AEO status within only 15 days from the electronic submission of complete documents for AEO Tier T1.
- Reduction in Bank Guarantee requirements has also been introduced for MSMEs.
- Liberalised MSME Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Package is a voluntary compliance programme. It enables swift clearance for accredited stakeholders in the global supply chain.
- Indian AEO programme was started in 2011. Statutory framework for AEO programme provides for three-tier AEO (AEO T1, AEO T2, AEO T3) status for Exporters and Importers. AEO T3 is the highest level of accreditation.