Directions: In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/ Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active voice.
He was singing a beautiful song for his mother.
Correct Answer : a ) A beautiful song was being sung by him for his mother.Explanation :
The given sentence is in the active voice. Let us understand the two voices before we answer the question:
- Active Voice: the subject performs the action expressed by the verb.
- Passive Voice: the subject receives the action expressed by the verb.
When converting a sentence from active to passive voice, the following rules are used:
- The places of subject and object are interchanged.
- The third form of the verb, i.e. past participle, is always used as main verb in the sentences of passive voice.
- Auxiliary verbs are used in the passive voice as per the tense of the sentence.
- The word "by" is usually introduced before the subject.
In the above sentence, the subject is, “he”, the verb is, “was singing” and the object is, “his mother”.
Therefore, the correct sentence would be – “A beautiful song was being sung by him for his mother.”
Hence, (A) is the correct answer.
This question is asked in various competitive exams, including SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC MTS, SBI PO, SBI CLERK, etc.. In order to understand how to solve this kind of question, one needs to regularly practice and keep oneself updated. PendulumEdu offers a variety of mock tests for you to up your skills to excel in these exams.