Directions: In the given question, a sentence has been given in Active/ Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active voice.
The Governor ordered the officers to attend the meeting on his behalf.
Correct Answer : d ) The officers were ordered by the Governor to attend the meeting on his behalf.Explanation :
The given sentence is in Active voice. Let us first understand the two voices.
- Active Voice: the subject performs the action expressed by the verb.
- Passive Voice: the subject receives the action expressed by the verb.
When converting a sentence from active to passive voice, the following rules are used:
- The places of subject and object are interchanged.
- The second/third form of the verb, i.e. past participle is always used as the main verb in the sentences of passive voice.
- Auxiliary verbs are used in the passive voice as per the tense of the sentence.
- The word "by" is usually introduced before the subject.
In the above sentence, “the Governor” is the subject, “ordered” is the verb and “officers” is the object. The sentence that correctly follows all the above rules of conversion is sentence D.
Hence, (D) is the correct answer.
Such type of question is asked in various government exams like State PCS, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC CPO, RRB NTPC, etc.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Result and SSC CGL Tier 1 and Tier 2 Cut off of SSC CGL 2019 Declared | Check HereRead More