Directions: In the given question, a sentence has been given in Active/ Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active voice.
The Governor ordered the officers to attend the meeting on his behalf.
Correct Answer : d ) The officers were ordered by the Governor to attend the meeting on his behalf.Explanation :
The given sentence is in Active voice. Let us first understand the two voices.
- Active Voice: the subject performs the action expressed by the verb.
- Passive Voice: the subject receives the action expressed by the verb.
When converting a sentence from active to passive voice, the following rules are used:
- The places of subject and object are interchanged.
- The second/third form of the verb, i.e. past participle is always used as the main verb in the sentences of passive voice.
- Auxiliary verbs are used in the passive voice as per the tense of the sentence.
- The word "by" is usually introduced before the subject.
In the above sentence, “the Governor” is the subject, “ordered” is the verb and “officers” is the object. The sentence that correctly follows all the above rules of conversion is sentence D.
Hence, (D) is the correct answer.
Such type of question is asked in various government exams like State PCS, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC CPO, RRB NTPC, etc.
UPSC Prelims 2021 General Studies Paper 1 and CSAT Question Paper of All Sets and Answer KeyRead More
UPSC Prelims 2021 Answer Key | UPSC 2021 Answer Key Set A, B, C and D and CSAT 2021 Answer KeyRead More
UP Special Current Affairs 2021 | UP Special News for UPPCS from July 2020 - September 2021Read More