Directions: In the given question, a sentence has been given in Active/ Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active voice.
The Governor ordered the officers to attend the meeting on his behalf.
Correct Answer : d ) The officers were ordered by the Governor to attend the meeting on his behalf.Explanation :
The given sentence is in Active voice. Let us first understand the two voices.
- Active Voice: the subject performs the action expressed by the verb.
- Passive Voice: the subject receives the action expressed by the verb.
When converting a sentence from active to passive voice, the following rules are used:
- The places of subject and object are interchanged.
- The second/third form of the verb, i.e. past participle is always used as the main verb in the sentences of passive voice.
- Auxiliary verbs are used in the passive voice as per the tense of the sentence.
- The word "by" is usually introduced before the subject.
In the above sentence, “the Governor” is the subject, “ordered” is the verb and “officers” is the object. The sentence that correctly follows all the above rules of conversion is sentence D.
Hence, (D) is the correct answer.
Such type of question is asked in various government exams like State PCS, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC CPO, RRB NTPC, etc.
Read Daily Current Affairs, Banking Awareness and attempt free mock tests at PendulumEdu and boost your preparation for the actual exam.
Word Of The Day
Noun: A hard rigid usually large covering of an animal.; The outside part of a fruit or seed.; Something like an external structure that resembles a shell.; A casing without substance.; The hard exterior of an egg.; A hard enclosing cover.
Verb: To take out of the shell.; To fall out of the shell.; To cast the external covering.; To gather shells from a beach.
"My mother collected shells at the beach."View More