Who is known as the father of the Indian Space Programme?
Correct Answer : a ) Dr. Vikram Ambala SarabhaiExplanation :
Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai was an Indian physicist and astronomer who pioneered space research and helped develop nuclear power in India. He was instrumental in establishing the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad in 1947. He also served as the Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission.
He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan (posthumously) in 1972. He was also awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in 1962.
He is internationally regarded as the father of the Indian space programme. He was born on 12 August 1919 in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Vikram Sarabhai Space Research Centre located in Thiruvananthapuram is named in his memory.
Some of the institutions established by Vikram Sarabhai are:
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
- Community Science Centre, Ahmedabad
- Darpan Academy for Performing Arts, Ahmedabad (along with his wife)
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
- Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad (This institution came into existence after merging six institutions/centres established by Vikram Sarabhai)
- Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR), Kalpakkam
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Project, Calcutta
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad
- Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL), Jaduguda, Bihar
Hence, (a) is the correct answer.