New Governors appointed in 8 states across the country by President
2021-07-07 | Priyanka Chaudhary
President Ram Nath Kovind made some changes in state governors and appointed several new Governors across the country.
New Governors in the States:
1. Karnataka - Thaawarchand Gehlot
2. Madhya Pradesh - Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel
3. Mizoram - Dr. Hari Babu Kambhampati
4. Himachal Pradesh - Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar
5. Tripura - Satyadev Narayan Arya (From Haryana)
6. Goa - P.S. Sreedharan Pillai (From Mizoram)
7. Haryana - Bandaru Dattatraya (From Himachal Pradesh)
8. Jharkhand - Ramesh Bais (From Tripura)
Indian President appointed Thaawarchand Gehlot as the new governor of Karnataka state. Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel, the BJP leader has been appointed as the new Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
Dr. Hari Babu Kambhampati has been appointed as the Governor of Mizoram while Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar will be the new Governor of Himachal Pradesh. P.S. Sreedharan Pillai has been transferred from Mizoram and appointed as the new governor of Goa.
Former Governor of Haryana Satyadev Narayan Arya has been appointed as the Governor of Tripura. Former governor of Tripura Ramesh Bais replaced the Draupadi Murmu and became the new governor of the Jharkhand. Bandaru Dattatraya, governor of the Himachal Pradesh is appointed as the new governor of the Haryana.
The President of India appoints all the governors of the state for a five-year term. The Governor has to fulfill all the eligibility criteria for appointment. According to the Constitution of India, the following are the eligibility criteria for the appointment of a Governor in a particular state:
- Must be a citizen of India.
- Must have completed 35 years of age.
- Must not hold any other office of profit.
- Must not be a member of the Legislature of the Union or of any other state.
- Members of the Legislature can be governor of the state but immediately ceases to be a Member of the Legislature.
All the executive works of the state are taken in the name of the governor. An amendment came in 1956, the same person can be the Governor of two or more states.
In addition to the governors of the States, Lieutenant Governors are appointed in the Union Territories of Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island, and Puducherry. The administrative Chief (an IAS Officer) governs all other Union Territories. Chandigarh is the only exception. The Governor of Punjab is also the Lieutenant Governor of Chandigarh.
Lieutenant Governor of a union-territory and Governor of a state in India both are equivalent in powers. The President of India appoints both for a term of 5 years. The salary of the governor is ₹4,00,000 per month.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Appointment of New Governors in 4 States
Who is the new Governor of Madhya Pradesh?
Who is the new Governor of Karnataka?
Who is the new Governor of Mizoram?
Who is the new Governor of Himachal Pradesh?