Daily Current Affairs and GK | 01 February 2020
YOGA Day OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code YOGA
1. Parliamentary Standing Committee tables its report regarding Allied Healthcare Professional Bill 2019
- The Parliamentary Standing Committee has tabled its report regarding Allied Healthcare Professional Bill 2019.
- The bill aims to establish a regulatory system for developing the allied healthcare sector.
- The report was tabled by Parliamentary Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare, headed by Samajwadi Party member Ram Gopal Yadav.
- Parliamentary Standing Committee:
- These are the committees formed in Parliament on permanent basis and work continuously.
- Some of the standing committees are Public Accounts Committee, Estimate Committee, etc.
2. International Emergency on the outbreak of the Coronavirus in China declared by WHO
- World Health Organisation has declared an international health emergency on the outbreak of Coronavirus.
- The emergency status would bring about coordination among the countries.
- WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the greatest concern is the spread of the virus to the facilities having weaker health systems.
3. Rani Rampal win World Games Athlete of the Year award
- Indian Women’s Hockey Team Captain Rani Rampal became the first-ever hockey player to win World Games Athlete of the Year award.
- The announcement was made by the World Games Association.
- In 2019 India won FIH Series Finals, and Rani Rampal was named the Player of the Tournament.
- Under her leadership, the Indian Women Team qualified for the three Olympics in history.
- She will also be awarded Padam Shri Award.
4. Narmada Mahotsava started in Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh
- The 3 days Narmada Mahotsava has started in Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh on the occasion of Narmada Jayanti.
- During the festival, one day will be reserved for the women activities under the theme “Beti Bachao Beti Padao”.
- The culture of the state will be demonstrated along with the Kodo- Rice. The festival will also witness the trekking activities.
- It is a rift valley river flowing from west to east.
- The source of the river is Amarkantak hills in Madhya Pradesh.
- The river flows through the states of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.
5. 1st deaf person to row across the Atlantic Ocean
- A 60-year-old pharmacy worker became the 1st deaf person to row 3000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.
- Mo O'Brien and her fellow crew members, including her daughter, reached the Caribbean island of Antigua, 49 days after setting out from the Canary Island of La Gomera.
- The record was confirmed by the Ocean Rowing Society responsible for confirming the ocean rowing records.
6. Economic Survey 2019-20 presented in Parliament
- Economic Survey 2019-20 was presented by Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman in the Parliament.
- It is an annual document prepared and presented by the Finance Ministry and is presented annually in the Parliament before the budget session.
- It depicts the economic conditions of the country in the previous financial year and recommends various aspects of the economy.
- The survey calls for reforms to enhance ease of doing business in India and projects economic growth at 6 to 6.5 % in the next fiscal.
7. 2019 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism
- Yusuf Jameel, a senior journalist from Jammu and Kashmir, won the 2019 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism.
- The award has been instituted by PEN South India and PEN Delhi.
- Yusuf Jameel has worked in both Hindi and Urdu media both in newspapers and radio.
- He has been awarded for fearless and candid journalism in the face of conflict in Kashmir Valley in the late 80s and 90s.
8. Noted Urdu Poet Ajmal Sultanpuri passes away
- The noted Urdu poet Ajmal Sultanpuri passed away at the age of 97.
- He was awarded Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to Urdu poetry by Uttar Pradesh Urdu Academy in 2016.
- His popular poems include “Kahan Hai Mera Hindustan”and “Agar Mai Tera Shahjahan”.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the current chief of which of the following organizations?
A. World Bank
B. International Monetary Fund
C. World Health Organisation
D. None of the above
2. Rani Rampal, who recently won the World Athlete Award, belongs to which of the following sports?
3. Narmada river does not flow from which of the following states?
B. Madhya Pradesh
4. Who among the following became the first deaf person to row across Atlantic?
A. Mo O’ Brien
B. Richard Christ
C. Bob Daniel
D. None of the above
5. Who among the following presents Economic Survey annually?
B. Finance Minister
C. Commerce Minister
D. Leader of the Lok Sabha
6. Who among the following was awarded with 2019 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism?
A. Kamal Hassan
B. Karim Akhtar
C. Yusuf Jammel
D. Vyom Sharma
7. Ajmal Sultanpuri, who died recently belongs to which of the following fields?