BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code FEB24
1. India- Maldives have signed 5 MoUs
- India and Maldives have signed 5 MoUs for the development of the Addu Tourism Zone in the Maldives.
- 5 islands in Addu atoll will be developed for 2.49 million dollars.
- The High Commissioner of India Sunjay Sudhir, Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdulla Shahid and Addu City Council signed the MoUs.
- Another MoU to set up a bottled water plant in Hoarafushi was also signed.
- All the projects are part of India’s High Impact Community Development Scheme (HICDP).
- The Maldives is an island nation in South Asia located in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean.
- Its capital is Male with currency Maldivian Rufiyaa.
2. Maldives join Commonwealth
- Maldives has rejoined the Commonwealth.
- On the occasion, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the Maldives.
- Maldives has left the Commonwealth in October 2016 under the administration of former president Yameen.
- Commonwealth of nations:
- It is a political organization of 54 countries, most of which had been the colonies of the British Empire in the past.
- It was formed in 1931 with its headquarters is in London.
3. Novak Djokovic clinches Australian Open Title
- Novak Djokovic won 8th Men’s Singles Title in Australian Open at Rod Lever Arena in Melbourne, Australia.
- He defeated Dominic Thiem of Austria in the final.
- The men’s doubles title has been taken up by Joe Salisbury of the UK and Rajeev Ram of America by defeating Australia's Luke Saville and Max Purcell.
- In Women’s singles, American Sofia Kenin grabbed the title by defeating Spain’s Garbine Muguruza.
- This is the first grand slam title of Sofia Kennin, and she is the youngest Australian Open champion since Maria Sharapova of Russia, who won the title in 2008.
4. Goa to host National Games 2020
- Goa will host the National Games 2020 which will be the 36th edition of the games.
- The mascot i.e 'Rubigula', Flame-Throated Bulbul, has been officially unveiled.
- The event will see the participation of 36 states and Union Territories 12,000 athletes, officials, and will host 37 sports disciplines across 24 venues.
- 'Rubigula', Flame-Throated Bulbul, is the state bird of Goa.
- National Games:
- The event was started in 1924 and was known as the Indian Olympic Games.
- The 35th edition of the National Games was held in Kerala.
5. Art Festival Kala Ghoda started in Mumbai
- The 21st edition of the Art Festival Kala Ghoda started in Mumbai in Maharashtra.
- The 21st edition of the festival is entirely crowdfunded by using the Ketto platform, unlike the sponsorship pattern followed for 20 years.
- As an annual event, the festival is organized by the Kala Ghoda Association, showcasing the art and architecture of the Mumbai Heritage District. It also works for the conservation of art and architecture.
6. National Mission on Quantum Technologies and Applications announced
- National Mission on Quantum Technologies and Applications was announced in Budget 2020-21.
- The mission has an outlay of INR 8000 crore for a period of 5 years and will be implemented by the Department of Science and Technology.
- Quantum Technology is one of the disruptive technologies besides the Internet of Things, 3D printing, drones, etc.
- Quantum Theory:
- It describes the nature of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.
- This theory can be used in cryptography, imaging, communication, sensing, etc.
7. Clarification issued by Central Board of Direct Tax regarding Finance Bill 2020
- The Finance Bill 2020 has proposed that the Non-Resident Indians will be taxed in India if they are not taxed in any other country or jurisdiction.
- Thus all the bonafide workers in other countries are not included in the proposal.
- The step has been taken to curb tax evasion as some Indians tend to shift to low tax or no tax jurisdiction to avoid the payment of taxes.
- It stated that Indian citizens who became deemed a resident of India and earned income outside the country would not be taxed in India unless they earned income from Indian business and profession.
8. Headquarters of Kanha Shanti Vanam inaugurated
- The headquarters of Kanha Shanti Vanam inaugurated in Nandigram in Hyderabad.
- The inauguration was done by the President Ram Nath Kovind.
- It serves as a rural headquarter of Sri Ramchandra Mission.
- Sri Ramchandra Mission:
- It is a Non- Profit Organization founded in 1945.
- It is a non- profit organization which offers the Heartfulness meditation or the practice of Sahaj Marg.
9. Kisan Rail Scheme
- Kisan Rail Scheme has been announced in the budget 2020-21.
- The Kisan Rail will have refrigerated coaches to carry the supply of perishable farm produce.
- The train will be started up in the Public-Private Partnership model.
- The train vans that can carry 17 tonnes have been developed and procured through Rail Coach Factory at Kapurthala in Punjab.
10. Implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojna
- Madhya Pradesh has got the 1st prize in the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojna.
- The award will be given by Union Minister of Women and Child Development Smriti Irani and will be received by Madhya Pradesh Minister for Women and Child Development Imarti Devi and Principal Secretary Anupam Rajan.
- The scheme provides wage compensation of INR 5000 for the loss of wages of working women due to pregnancy.
- The scheme is under the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Addu Atoll is located in which of the following countries?
2. Which of the following countries has rejoined the Commonwealth of Nations?
B. Sri Lanka
3. Who among the following has won the Men’s Singles Australian Open Title?
A. Roger Federer
B. Novak Djokovic
C. Rafel Nadal
D. None of the above
4. Which state will host the National Games 2020?
D. Tamil Nadu
5. Art Festival Kala Ghoda is celebrated in which of the following states?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Madhya Pradesh
6. Which of the following departments will implement the National Mission on Quantum Technologies and Applications?
A. Department of Biotechnology
B. Department of Science and Technology
C. Department of Space
D. None of the above
7. Under the budget, the Finance bill is introduced to-
A. Propose the budget expenditure
B. Propose the budgeted revenue
C. Both A and B
D. None of the above
8. Where is the headquarters of Kanha Shanti Vanam located?
A. New Delhi
9. The van of Kisan Rail has been built at the Integrated Rail Coach Factory of-