Daily Current Affairs and GK | 04 February 2020
1. Lok Sabha takes the debate on the Motion of Thanks
- The debate was started by BJP MP from West Delhi Parvesh Sahib Singh Verma.
- Motion of Thanks:
- It is a motion put on to discuss the speech given by the President on the start of the new Lok Sabha Session after the elections to the Lok Sabha and the new year.
- It is put to the vote in Parliament as it contains the policies, plans, and achievements of the government.
2. Golden Girl championship in Sweden
- The Golden Girls Boxing Championship was organized in Boris Sweden.
- Indian team won 14 medals including 6 golds, overall championship trophy and Best Boxer award.
- The junior women team bagged 5 golds, 3 silver, and 1 bronze.
- The youth team won 1 gold and 4 bronze medals.
- From junior category, Haryana’s Prachi Dinkar (50 Kg) won the best boxer award.
- The players who won gold medals include Prachi (50 Kg), Ethoibi Chanu Wangjam (54 kg), Lashu Yadav (66 kg) and Mahi Raghav (80 kg).
3. SC directs states to establish Gram Nyayalayas within 4 weeks
- SC has asked the states to issue notification for setting up Gram Nyayalayas within 4 weeks.
- The High Courts have been asked to speed up the consultation process with the state government.
- It was noted by the bench headed by Justice N V Ramana that the states which have issued the notification to set up Gram Nyayalayas do not have the functioning GNs except in the state of Kerala, Maharashtra, and Rajasthan.
- Gram Nyayalyas (GN):
- These courts are established under the Gram Nyayalayas Act 2008.
- They are established at Block or district level to take up the civil and criminal cases as defined under the act. However, the jurisdiction is notified by the state government in consultation with High Courts.
- The GN is presided by Nyayadhikari, who has the same status as that of Judicial Magistrate of First Class.
- The Nyayadhikari is appointed by the state government in consultation with High Court.
4. 723 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras established
- According to the government, around 723 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras have been established till January 2020.
- The Union Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship informed that Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) 2016-2020 is going on for short duration skill development training.
- To improve the occupational skills and technical knowledge of neo-literates, the Jan Shikshan Sansthan scheme is going on. Neo-literates are those people who could not make use of educational opportunities on time, and at a later stage they acquire skills of literacy through formal and informal approaches.
- Through Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) government is running long term vocational courses.
5. Natural Gas Field discovered in the United Arab Emirates
- UAE has announced the discovery of 80 trillion standard cubic feet of gas in the cross-border area of the Emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
- The name of the new natural gas field is the Jebel Ali gas field, which spans around 5000 square Km and will help the country to get the status of the natural gas exporter.
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and Dubai Supply Authority (DUSUP) have signed an agreement to continue to explore the shallow gas resources in the area.
6. BBC Indian Sportswoman of the year award nominees
- Vinesh Phogat (Wrestler), P.V. Sindhu (Shuttler), M.C. Mary Kom (Boxer), Manasi Joshi (para-badminton player) and Dutee Chand (Sprinter) have been nominated for the BBC Indian sportswoman of the year award.
- The nominees have been chosen by a panel of 40 eminent sports journalists.
- The final results will be decided based on public voting.
- This is the first edition of the BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year Award.
7. BAFTA Awards 2020
- The British Academy of Film and Television Arts or BAFTA Film Awards are hosted by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts to honor British and international contributions to the films.
- The awards were announced at Royal Albert Hall, London, United Kingdom.
- The awards are as follows:
- Best Film: 1917
- Outstanding British Film: 1917
- Film not in the English Language: Parasite
- Best Documentary: For Sama
- Best Director: 1917 (Sam Mendes)
- Leading Actress: Renne Zellweger
- Leading Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
- BAFTA rising star: Michael Ward
8. World Cancer Day
- It is celebrated on 4th February annually to raise awareness about cancer, its detection, prevention, and treatment.
- It is led by the Union for International Cancer Control to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration written in 2008.
- The theme of World Cancer Day 2020 is “I am and I will”.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. The President gives the special address to the Parliament under which of the following articles of the constitution?
A. Article 85
B. Article 86
C. Article 87
D. Article 88
2. Where was the Golden Girl Championship 2020 held?
3. Who appoints Nyayadhikari of a Gram Nyayalya?
A. Chief Justice of the High Court
B. Chief Justice of Supreme Court
C. State Government
D. District Judge
4. The time duration of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is
5. Jebel Ali Gas Field is located in which of the following countries?
6. Vinesh Phogat belongs to which of the following sports?
7. Which of the following has been awarded the Best movie award under BAFTA awards?
8. World Cancer Day is celebrated every year on which of the following days?
A. 1st February
B. 2nd February
C. 3rd February
D. 4th February