1. 11th BRICS summit going to be held in Brasilia, Brazil
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a 2-day visit to Brazil for the 11th BRICS Summit from 13-15 November.
- The theme of the summit will be "Economic Growth for an Innovative Future.”
- PM Narendra Modi is going for the 6th time to participate in the Summit.
- PM Narendra Modi participated for the 1st time in BRICS summit at Fortaleza in Brazil in the year 2014.
- BRICS: It is an acronym given for a coalition of five major emerging national economies, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- BRICS was formed in the year 2006 and is headquartered in Shanghai, China.
2. Tropical Cyclone BULBUL likely to hit Odisha, West Bengal and Bangladesh
- Indian Metrological Department (IMD) has announced that tropical cyclone BULBUL formed in the Bay of Bengal is likely to intensify in a very severe cyclonic storm and will lash heavy thunderstorms in the adjoining areas.
- Northern districts of Odisha, West Bengal, Sunderbans and the adjoining areas of Bangladesh would be severely affected by the cyclone.
- Alarms have been raised in these states and the fishermen are advised not to venture into the sea.
- Cyclone BULBUL is going to be the 1st major cyclone to hit the Sunderbans, after cyclone ALIA of the year 2009.
3. Documentation Identification Number (DIN) system by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes (CBIC) has come up with a new system called DIN system (Documentation Identification Number) to bring transparency and answerability in the administration of the indirect tax via the help of information technology.
- DIN system will provide taxpayers a digital facility to verify any communications.
- DIN system will be used in checking the authenticity of search, summons, arrest memos, inspection notices and letters issued during any enquiry.
- Any communication from GST / Custom / Central Excise department without a computer-generated DIN would be treated as invalid.
4. Guinness World Record made for assembling radio kits at India International Science Festival (IISF)
- A Guinness World record has been made by 268 students for assembling Radio kits simultaneously in stipulated time at IISF in Kolkata.
- Union Minister of Science & Technology Harsh Vardhan accepted the certificate and a memento from the Guinness World Records on behalf of the students.
5. 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine held in New Delhi
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine in New Delhi.
- Vice President laid stress on the development of programs and manuals that can train common people to reach out in emergency first aid situations such as Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to save the lives before professional medical can aid.
- Govt. of India has made a mandate to have a comprehensive undergraduate course on Emergency medicine and trauma care for emergency situations, whereas all hospitals to have full-fledged Emergency Departments by 2022.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is an emergency procedure that consists of chest compressions combined with artificial ventilation in an effort for manually breathing in a person who is in cardiac arrest.
6. Billionaire George Soros announced to donate 100 million dollars to HRW
- The 80 years old billionaire and financier, George Soros, has announced to donate 100 million dollars to New York City-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) only on the condition if the human rights group would be able to raise another 100 million dollars.
- George Soros: He is a well-known investor and philanthropist of Hungarian-American roots.
- Human Rights Watch (HRW): It is a non-governmental international organization that conducts research and advocacy on human rights. It was formed in the year 1978.
7. 9th edition of the Dhaka Literature festival at Bangla Academy
- West Bengal-based writer Abhishek Sarkar has received the Gemcon Young Literature Award for Nishiddho.
- Bangladeshi poet Rofiquzzaman Rony has received the Gemcon Young Poetry Award for Dhoashar Tamate Rong.
- Along with H M Naqvi and Shashi Tharoor, other renowned literary personalities and authors are going to attend the festival.
- The theme of the festival is in line with UNESCO’s theme for the year 2019, which is Indigenous Language Protection.
8. Iran ditched 2015 nuclear deal framework and resumed Uranium Enrichment
- Dissenting from any military expansion to its nuclear programme, Iran raised concerns to the signatories to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal framework by resuming to Uranium enrichment.
- The 2015 Iran nuclear deal framework was signed among Iran, the European Union, and P5+1 (Where P5+1 are the permanent members of UN Security Council- UK, USA, Russia, France and China, and Germany).
- As per the 2015 Framework, Iran had agreed to suspend its nuclear programme in lieu of lifting of UN sanctions.
- Iran has also passed a deadline for the remaining parties to the 2015 nuclear agreement to suggest a procedure that allows foreign firms to continue doing business with Iran without attracting US penalties.
- The group of world powers, including EU, Russia, France, etc. are calling Iran’s move as unparalleled, illegal and inadmissible.
9. Amitabh Bachchan to inaugurate 25th Kolkata International Film Festival
- Along with many bollywood stars, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Shahrukh Khan will mark their presence at 25th Kolkata International Film Festival.
- This year Germany is the focus country of the festival.
- The film Gupi Gayen Bagha Bayen, directed by renowned director Satyajit Ray will be screened first at the festival.
10. Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma becomes 1st cricketer to play 100 T-20 Internationals
- Stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma of Indian Cricket team has become the 1st in India and 2nd in the world to play 100 T20 Internationals after Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik (played 111 games).
- After Rohit Sharma, regular skipper Virat Kohli comes 2nd in the same format.
Multiple Choice Questions:
1. What stands for the DIN system in the context of Indirect Taxes?
a. Documentation Identification Number
b. Document Identification Number
c. Document Identity Number
d. Documentation Identity Number
Correct Answer: a
2. Which of the following regions are likely to be affected by the tropical cyclone BULBUL?
a. Bangladesh, West Bengal, Myanmar & Sunderbans
b. Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal & Odisha
c. West Bengal, Odisha, West Bengal & Sunderbans
d. Sunderbans & Bangladesh only
Correct Answer: c
3. Consider the following countries:
- European Union
Choose the countries involved with Iran in the signing of Nuclear Framework, 2015 using the codes given below:
a. (i), (iii), (iv), (v), (viii), (ix) and (x)
b. (i), (iii), (iv), (v), (vi), (viii) and (x)
c. (ii), (iv), (v), (vii), (viii), (ix) and (x)
d. (ii), (iii), (iv), (v), (vii), (viii) and (ix)
Correct Answer: b
4. __________ edition of BRICS summit is going to held in __________ in year 2019.
a. 9th, Shanghai
b. 11th, New Delhi
c. 9th, Beijing
d. 11th, Brasilia
Correct Answer: d
5. A Guinness world record has been made at IISF, Kolkata by _______ students for assembling Radio kits simultaneously.
Correct Answer: b