- 1. $ 300 million worth loan approved by WB and AIIB for canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab.
- 2. Dutee Chand will be honored with Chhattisgarh Veerni Award.
- 3. India and Netherlands entered into a strategic partnership in water sector.
- 4. Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 103rd meeting of the World Bank Development Committee Plenary.
- 5. Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, passes away.
- 6. Supreme Court said that people are free to choose any religion.
- 7. US Navy warship passed through India’s EEZ without prior permission.
- 8. World Hmeopathy Day: 10 April
- 9. Vjosa Osmani: the youngest President of Kosovo took office.
- 10. Chandra Nayudu, India’s first female cricket commentator, died at age 88.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: National News
1. $ 300 million worth loan approved by WB and AIIB for canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab.
- A loan of US $ 300 million has been approved by the World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank for canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab.
- Under this project, the aim is to improve the quality of drinking water and reduce water loss for Amritsar and Ludhiana.
- Total finance for the whole project is- IBRD (World Bank) - USD 105 million, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank - USD 105 million, and Government of Punjab - USD 90 million.
- World Bank:
- It is one of the world’s largest finance providers aiming to end extreme poverty and promote shared growth.
- It was established in 1944 and is headquartered in Washington, DC, USA.
- Currently, it has 189 members.
- Current President of World Bank: David Malpass
- Chief Financial Officer and MD: Anshula Kant
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB):
- It is a multilateral development bank with an aim to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia.
- It started operating in January 2016.
- It is headquartered in Beijing, China.
- AIIB now has 103 accepted members (Regional Members: 46, Non-Regional Members: 40, Prospective Members: 17).
Topic: Awards and Prizes
2. Dutee Chand will be honored with Chhattisgarh Veerni Award.
- Silver-medalist in 100 and 200 meters in Jakarta Asian Games, Dutee Chand will be awarded Chhattisgarh Veerni Award.
- A virtual awards ceremony will be conducted on 14 April due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
- This award is given to Indian women for their contribution in different fields, including sports.
- She became the first Indian woman sprinter to win a gold medal at the World University Games held in Italy in 2019.
- Her aim to achieve 11.15 secs in the Tokyo Olympics qualification in the coming months.
- She has already named the national record of 11.22 secs in 100m.
(Source: News on AIR)
3. India and Netherlands entered into a strategic partnership in water sector.
- During the India - Netherlands Virtual Summit, both sides announced a ‘Strategic Partnership on Water’ to further deepening of relations in the water-related sector.
- Both countries also announced to upgrade the Joint Working Group on the water to Ministerial-level.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Netherlands counterpart Mark Rutte discussed bilateral cooperation in many areas including water budgeting, cost-effective decentralized treatment technology, converting wastewater to energy, and river hazard management.
- Both countries will also set up a fast-track mechanism to resolve the issues of Dutch and Indian companies.
- They also discussed bilateral collaboration in the field of agriculture, Urban Development, and Space.
- Prime Minister of India suggested a setting up of a joint working group for cooperation in the field of millets.
- Netherlands is the 3rd largest FDI investor in India and India is the fourth largest FDI investor in the Netherlands in the year 2019-20.
- Both leaders supported the vision of a free, open, and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- Netherlands is a country in Western Europe whose capital is Amsterdam and currency is Euro.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
4. Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 103rd meeting of the World Bank Development Committee Plenary.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 103rd meeting of the Development Committee of the World Bank-IMF.
- The agendas of this meeting include the WBG and International Monetary Fund Support for Debt Relief Under the Common Framework; COVID-19 pandemic; World Bank Group Support for Fair and Affordable Access to Vaccines by Developing Countries.
- The Finance Minister stated that the Government of India has taken several measures to mitigate the impact of the pandemic. The Government has announced Aatma Nirbhar Packages of Rs 27.1 trillion to mitigate the social and economic impact of the pandemic.
- The Finance Minister also supported the pro-active role played by the WBG in providing Vaccines to the developing countries.
- WBG has announced the financial assistance of $100 billion in the wake of the Covid pandemic for the first time.
Topic: Personality in News
5. Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, passes away.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, died at the age of 99. He was the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.
- He was born in 1921 in the Greek and Danish royal families.
- He was the longest-lived male member of the British royal family.
- He retired from his royal duties in 2017. He also served in the Royal Navy of Britain.
- At present, Elizabeth II is the queen of the United Kingdom.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Indian Polity
6. Supreme Court said that people are free to choose any religion.
- During a “public interest” petition hearing, the Supreme Court said that the people in India are free to choose religion.
- The Supreme Court said that the Indian constitution gives people the freedom to profess, practice, and propagate religion.
- The petition is demanding that the court should direct the Centre and the States for controlling the religious conversion. It also said that it is the duty of Centre and States to protect the SC/ST community from social injustice and other forms of exploitation.
- Article 25 of the Indian constitution states that all persons have the freedom to adopt any religion. Religious faith is a part of the fundamental right to privacy.
- The right to propagate religion doesn’t include the right to convert another person to one’s own religion.
- Article 26 of the constitution protects collective freedom of religion. It gives every religious group a right to establish and maintain religious institutions.
- The Preamble of the Constitution also guarantees that India is a secular country.
Topic: International News
7. US Navy warship passed through India’s EEZ without prior permission.
- The US Navy warship ‘USS John Paul Jones’ passed through India’s EEZ without prior permission.
- USS John Paul Jones carried out a Freedom of Navigation operation near Lakshadweep Islands without the prior consent of India.
- India has raised its protest against this passage to the Government of USA through diplomatic channels.
- According to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), no country can carry out any military exercises or manoeuvres in the Exclusive Economic Zone without the consent of the concerned country.
- UNCLOS is an international agreement on the law of the sea. It was adopted in 1982. It defines an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) as generally extending 200 nautical miles from shore.
- US Navy said that it had only conducted routine and regular ‘Freedom of Navigation Operations’ (FONOPs).
Topic: Important Days
8. World Hmeopathy Day: 10 April
- World Homoeopathy Day is observed every year on 10th April to mark the birth anniversary of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann.
- Apart from this, it is also observed to highlight the importance of homeopathy and its contribution to the world of medicine
- The AYUSH ministry is celebrating World homeopathy day with the theme of “Homeopathy- Roadmap for Integrative Medicine”.
- Homeopathy is one of the recognised systems of medicines in India and is part of the AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy) Ministry.
- It is an alternative medical system that works on the principle that the body can cure itself.
- It was created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann.
Topic: Personality in News
9. Vjosa Osmani: the youngest President of Kosovo took office.
- Vjosa Osmani-Sadriu assumed office as the new President of Kosovo.
- She became the country’s youngest head of state and one of the youngest in the world.
- The 38-year-old new President assumed office for a 5-year term.
- She became the second female leader of the Balkan nation.
- Gluck Konjufa, the acting President, handed over the country’s constitution to the new President of Kosovo.
- Vjosa Osmani took the place of Hashim Thaci, who resigned after facing charges for war crimes.
- Kosovo is an independent country of the Balkans region in Europe.
- Pristina is the Capital city of Kosovo.
- Its Prime Minister is Albin Kurti.
- Its currency is Euro.
Topic: Personality in News
10. Chandra Nayudu, India’s first female cricket commentator, died at age 88.
- Chandra Nayudu was the first woman cricket commentator who passed away recently at the age of 88 after battling a prolonged illness.
- She was a retired professor of English at Girls’ Degree College in Indore.
- She was the daughter of India’s first test captain, C K Nayudu.
- Ck Nayudu led the Indian cricket team in the country’s debut match at Lord’s in 1932.