Daily Current Affairs and GK | 18 December 2019
1. Indo-US to hold 2+2 dialogue in Washington
- The Indian side will be represented by External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The U.S side will be represented by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defence Mike Esper.
- Industrial Security Annexure is likely to be signed between the two nations that will allow U.S defense manufacturers to work with Indian defense equipment manufacturers.
- The first 2+2 dialogue between the two countries was held in September 2018.
2. Indian Actor Dr. Shriram Lagoo passes away
Dr. Shriram Lagoo passed away in Pune because of ailments. He was 92.
- He started his career with Marathi movies but later on also took Bollywood movies.
- Some of his famous roles include that of Gopal Krishan Gokhale in Richard Attenborough’s Gandhi, a simple teacher in Marathi movie Pinjara. Other Marathi movies include Saamna and Sinhaasan.
3. India donated solar-powered lamps to marginalized Palestinian Children
- The lamps were distributed to the children belonging to the Bedouin community to raise awareness about self-sufficiency and climate change.
- The lamps were distributed as part of the 150th Gandhi Jayanti Students Solar Ambassador workshop. The lamps were provided by IIT Bombay.
- The lamps were provided by Sunil Kumar, the representative of India in the Palestinian National Authority.
4. Indian Peacekeepers in South Sudan received UN medal for their services
- The UN Mission in South Sudan awarded the UN medal to about 850 Indian Peacekeepers for building peace in conflict-affected South Sudan and supporting the local community.
- With 2342 Indian troops and 25 police personnel deployed with the UNMISS, India is one of the largest troop contributing countries to UN peacekeeping operations.
- South Sudan is a north African nation whose capital is Juba.
5. Developmental trial of land-attack version of Brahmos supersonic cruise missile
- The trial was conducted from Chandipur Integrated Test Range, off Odisha coast.
- This missile is 9 meters long and can carry a warhead of 300 kg.
- In March 2017, the extended version of Brahmos missile having a strike range of 450 kg, was test-fired from Odisha coast.
- Bhramos Missile:
- The missile was developed by the Indian and Russian Joint venture.
- It is a two-stage missile with the first stage having solid propellant and the second stage having liquid propellant.
- The missile works on fire and forget principle and has a flight range of 290 km. It can carry a warhead of 200-300 Kg.
- It is a supersonic missile having land, water, and air version.
- It was developed by the Russian Federation's NPO Mashinostroyeniya and India's Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
6. SSB starts laser fencing along Indo- Nepal border
- Sashastra Seema Bal has started laser fencing across Indo- Nepal border to prevent third parties (like China, Pakistan, Bangladesh) nationals from entering the country without permission.
- The information was given by Director General of SSB General K Rajesh Chandra on 56th Foundation Day of SSB in New Delhi.
- Sashastra Seema Bal is one of the Central Armed Police Force under the control of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- It was formed in 1963, having the motto “Service, security and Brotherhood.”
- It is tasked with guarding Nepal- Bhutan border.
7. New Zealand Police complete identification of volcano victims of White Island Volcano
- White Island volcano erupted on December 9, 2019.
- White Island Volcano:
- It is an andesite stratovolcano situated on the North Island of New Zealand.
- It is New Zealand's most active cone volcano.
8. Controversy erupts over Razakar list in Bangladesh
- It is the list of those who helped and collaborated with Pakistan in the Indo- Pakistan 1971 war.
- A list having a total of 10,789 names was released by the Ministry of Liberation war affairs. The controversy erupted when it was found that some of the names included were Liberation Warfighters or Muktijodhas.
- Razakar was a militia force formed by Pakistan military through an ordinance promulgated in 1971 to suppress any rebellion in the then West Pakistan. They were engaged in rape, murder, and looting of the Bangladeshis.
- 1971 Indo- Pakistan War:
- The war was fought between India and Pakistan and lead to the formation of Bangladesh by separating then east Pakistan from Pakistan.
9. Gully Boy out of Oscar
- As the shortlist for the 9 categories came out, Gully Boy was out of Oscar in the category of the Best international feature film.
- Only on three occasions, Indian movie was able to come up in the top five i.e., Lagaan (2001), Mother India (1958) and Salaam Bombay (1989).
- The 92nd Oscar award will be announced in February 2020.
- Oscar Award
- Also known as the Academy award, it is a recognition of excellence in cinematic achievements.
- The award is given by the Academy of Motion Picture Art and Science since 1929.
10. Eastern Command is considering to open Fort William for historical and heritage tours
- Initially, it would be opened on a limited basis.
- The idea was mulled over the celebration of 48th Vijay Diwas in Kolkata.
- Kolkata has been the main center during the Indo- Pakistan war of 1971.
- Fort William
- The original fort was built in 1696 under the orders of Sir John Goldsborough and later on, Sir Charles Eyer started construction near the bank of Hoogly. In 1700 it was named after King Williams III. Later on, it was extended and repaired.
- Currently, the fort holds the headquarter of the Indian army's eastern command.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. 2nd 2+2 dialogue between India and U.S.A will be held in
- New Delhi
- Washington DC
2. Dr. Shriram Lagoo which passed away recently was a
3. India donated solar lamps to which community of children
4. Fort William is in
5. Oscar awards were started in
6. Razakar formed during the Indo- Pakistan war in 1971 was
- Pakistan militia
- India supported the freedom army
- Secret army used by India
- None of the Above
7. White Volcano that recently exploded is located in
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
8. Sashastra Seema Bal was formed in
9. Brahmos is a
- Supersonic missile
- Subsonic missile
- Hypersonic missile
- Ultrasonic missile
10. Indian Peacekeeping force deployed in which country was awarded the UN medal?
- South Sudan
- North Sudan
- Democratic Republic of Congo