1. Indian Navy will receive four more P-8I aircraft from the US
- The Indian Navy will acquire four more Boeing P-8I aircraft from May.
- The P-8I is a long-range anti-submarine warfare aircraft.
- This process will be completed by January 2022.
- These aircraft will be in the same configuration as the earlier eight aircraft procured by Indian Navy in 2009.
- India is making this purchase as part of the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) with the United States.
- COMCASA is one of the four foundational agreements signed by the US with its allies. In 2018, India and the US signed the COMCASA on the side lines of 2+2 dialogue.
- COMCASA is India specific version of the Communication and Information on Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA).
2. There was no meeting of SC, ST committees in 25 states in the last 3 years
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment told the Parliament that there was no meeting of SC, ST committees in 25 states in the last 3 years- 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- The function of the state level SC, ST committees is to monitor the implementation of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
- According to the rules, state level committees headed by the respective Chief Ministers should meet twice a year.
3. Telangana government issued guidelines for crop loan waiver scheme 2018
- Telangana government has issued detailed guidelines for the implementation of the crop loan waiver scheme 2018 for the benefit of farmers.
- Keeping in mind the plight of the farmers in the state, the government has waived off the outstanding crop loans of all the farmers of the state from 01.04.2014 to 11.12.2018.
- In this, a loan amount of up to Rs 1 lakh has been waived on each family excluding processing charges, legal fees, insurance, inspection fees and other such overheads.
- The peasant family is defined as the head of the family, the spouse and dependent children.
4. UEFA Euro 2020 has been postponed for one year due to coronavirus
- The European Football Championships (Euro 2020), which was to be held in June and July this year, has been postponed until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- UEFA European Football Championship:
- The UEFA Euro is an annual football club competition organized by Union of European Football Associations.
- It is held every four years since 1960.
5. RBI will regulate payment aggregators
- The Reserve Bank of India will regulate the activities of payment aggregators (PAs) keeping in view the important function of these intermediaries in online payments.
- Intermediary helps e-commerce sites and merchants to accept payment instruments from customers to fulfill their payment obligations.
- Reserve Bank of India:
- It is the central bank of India, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian currency.
- It was founded on 1 April 1935.
- Its headquarters is located in Mumbai.
6. Indian Council of Medical Research informed that the number of laboratories in the country is being increased
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) said that the number of laboratories for screening of corona virus infection in the country is being increased.
- Also, two quick test laboratories are being set up in the country, where 1400 samples can be tested daily. These laboratories will start functioning by the end of this week.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR):
- It is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world.
- It is the apex body in India for biomedical research, coordination and promotion.
- It was founded in 1911.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
- DG of ICMR- Dr Balram Bhargava
7. Lok Sabha passes the Aircraft Amendment Bill, 2020
- Recently, the Lok Sabha has passed the Aircraft Amendment Bill, 2020.
- The bill has been passed by voice vote in the Lok Sabha.
- The Bill will amend the Aircraft Act, 1934 and the amended bill will fulfil the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- This will help in increasing the level of safety of aircraft operations in the country.
- It will make three regulatory bodies Directorate General of Civil Aviation, Bureau of Civil Aviation Security and Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau effective.
8. Permanent commission for women in the Navy approved
- Recently, the Permanent Commission for Women in the Indian Navy has been approved by the Supreme Court.
- A bench of Justice D.Y. Chandrachud and Justice Ajay Rastogi has given this decision on the basis of need for equal opportunities for all.
- The court also approved pension benefits to retired women officers who were not given permanent commissions.
9. African Lion military exercise canceled due to Covid-19 pandemic
- The African Lion military exercise has been canceled this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The decision to cancel the exercise has been made to reduce international travel restrictions associated with coronavirus and the risk of exposure to members of the US and partner countries.
- African Lion is an annual multinational military exercise designed to improve mutual understanding, transfer of technology and knowledge.
10. Bihar government declared coronavirus as epidemic
- Recently, the Bihar government has declared coronavirus an epidemic.
- This step gives the government exclusive rights to deal with the situation of infection.
- If a person suffering from Covid-19 denies being admitted or segregated, the authorized officers shall have the powers to forcefully admit or set aside such person for a period of 14 days.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. Indian Navy will receive P-8I aircraft from which country?
2. Who chairs the state level SC / ST committees?
B. Chief Minister
C. Chief Secretary
D. Special Officer
3. Recently which state government has started a crop loan waiver scheme?
C. Madhya Pradesh
D. Uttar Pradesh
4. In which year was the UEFA European Championships started?
5. Where is the headquarters of Reserve Bank of India located?
B. New Delhi
6. Indian Council of Medical Research was established in which year?
7. Which act will be amended by the Aircraft Amendment Bill 2020?
A. Aircraft Act, 1934
B. Aircraft Act, 1935
C. Aircraft Act, 1936
D. Aircraft Act, 1937
8. The African lion that has been in the news recently is a ______________.
B. Species of lion
C. Military exercise
9. Recently which Indian state has declared coronavirus infection as an epidemic?