- 1. Union Cabinet approves a Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for the food processing sector with an outlay of ₹10,900 crore.
- 2. World Autism Awareness Day: 02 April
- 3. Article 244 (A) importance for Assam hill tribes.
- 4. DRDO developed lightweight bullet-proof jacket for Indian Army.
- 5. Indian Army will participate in Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena -2021’
- 6. Government launched All-India Survey on Migrant Worker and the AQEES
- 7. Rajnikanth will be awarded Dada Saheb Phalke Award for the year 2019.
- 8. Lt Gen Manjinder Singh assumed charge as Chief of Staff, Western Command.
- 9. Special force of India and US conducted military exercise "Vajra Prahar 2021" in Himachal Pradesh
- 10. India, Mauritius Free Trade Agreement has come into effect from Apr 1.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
1. Union Cabinet approves a Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for the food processing sector with an outlay of ₹10,900 crore.
- Union Cabinet has approved a Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for the food processing sector with an outlay of ₹10,900 crore.
- Government will implement this scheme over six years till 2026-27. Government expects that the scheme will help in expansion of production capacities to generate processed food output worth Rs 33,494 crore.
- First component of scheme aims to incentivize manufacturing of products in four major food product segments given below.
- Ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat foods
- Processed fruits and vegetables
- Marine products
- Mozzarella cheese
- Second component of scheme relates to support for branding and marketing abroad.
- Innovative and organic products of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) will also come under the scheme.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Autism Awareness Day: 02 April
- World Autism Awareness Day is celebrated annually on 02 April.
- World Autism Awareness Day was observed first time in 2008. It is observed to generate awareness among the public about people living with autism.
- In 2007, UN General Assembly designated April 2 as World Autism Awareness Day.
- Related SDG: SDG 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth)
- “The Transition to Adulthood” was the theme for World Autism Awareness Day 2020.
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a broad term used to describe a group of neurodevelopmental disorders.
Topic: Indian Polity
3. Article 244 (A) importance for Assam hill tribes.
- Article 244 (A) has a provision for the formation of an ‘autonomous state’ in certain tribal areas of Assam. It also allows the creation of a local legislature and a council of Ministers. It was inserted into the constitution in 1969.
- Article 244 (A) was inserted into the constitution for the protection of tribal people of Assam. It gives autonomous power to tribal areas.
- It is different from the autonomous council’s provision of the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution. Autonomous councils are set up for more political autonomy and decentralization of governance in certain tribal areas of the Northeast.
- The leaders of the Karbi Anglong and North Cachar Hills are demanding the implementation of the provisions of Article 244(a).
- The sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitution deals with the administration of the scheduled and tribal areas of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram.
- It is a state in northeastern India.
- It shares a boundary with Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram, West Bengal, Bangladesh.
- The state capital is Dispur. The largest city is Guwahati.
- The State Governor is Jagdish Mukhi and Chief Minister is Sarbananda Sonowal.
- Lok Sabha seats: 14, Rajya Sabha Seats: 7
- Bihu is one of the famous dance of Assam.
4. DRDO developed lightweight bullet-proof jacket for Indian Army.
- The DMSRDE Kanpur has developed a lightweight bullet-proof jacket to meet the requirement of the Indian Army.
- The bullet-proof jacket was tested at Terminal Ballistics Research Lab in Chandigarh and it has full fill the criteria of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Its weight is about 9 kg. The front hard armour panel technology helped in reducing the weight of this jacket.
- Defence Materials and Stores Research and Development Establishment (DMSRDE), Kanpur is a laboratory of DRDO.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
- It was established in 1958.
- It is involved in developing critical defense technologies and products to meet the requirements of the Indian Armed Forces.
- It works under the Ministry of Defence.
- It has a network of 52 laboratories in the country.
- Chairman: G. Sateesh Reddy
(Source: News on AIR)
5. Indian Army will participate in Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena -2021’
- Indian Army will participate in Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena -2021’ in Bangladesh. This nine-day exercise will begin from 4 April.
- It will be organised to celebrate the birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and to mark the 50 years of Independence of Bangladesh.
- 30 personnel from the Dogra Regiment of the Indian Army will participate in this exercise. Bhutan, Sri Lankan and Bangladesh Armies will also participate in this exercise.
- “Robust Peace Keeping Operations” is the theme of this military exercise.
- The USA, UK, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore will be the Military observes of this exercise.
- Military Exercise in News:
- Ex-Desert Knight 21: India-France Military exercise
- Vajra Prahar 2021: India and US
- Joint military exercise ‘Exercise Kavach’: Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and Indian Coast Guard
- Joint Military Exercise ‘Dustlik-2’: India-Uzbekistan
- Exercise Desert Flag: Air Force of United Arab Emirates, United States of America, France, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, India and Bahrain
Topic: National News
6. Government launched All-India Survey on Migrant Worker and the AQEES
- Ministry of Labour & Employment has launched All India Surveys on Migrant workers and the All-India Quarterly Establishment based Employment Survey (AQEES).
- The main aim of the survey is to gather crucial data on migrant workers. It will also provide detail about the living condition of Migrant workers and the impact of COVID-19 on migrant workers.
- All-India Quarterly Establishment based Employment Survey (AQEES) will provide employment details of the establishments employing 10 or more workers and for the establishments recruiting 9 or less workers.
- The survey will be done by the Labour Bureau and technology for the survey will be provided by BECIL. The technology provided by BECIL will help in reducing the completion time of the survey.
- Labour Bureau will also complete All India survey on Domestic workers, employment generated by professionals and employment generated in the transport sector.
- Labour Bureau is an attached office of the Ministry of Labour & Employment.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
7. Rajnikanth will be awarded Dada Saheb Phalke Award for the year 2019.
- South Indian Superstar Rajinikanth will be honored with the 51st Dada Saheb Phalke Award for the year 2019.
- Playback icon Asha Bhosle, director-producer Subhash Ghai, Malayalam superstar Mohanlal, music composer, and singer Shankar Mahadevan, and Biswajeet Chatterjee were the juries who nominated Rajnikant for the prestigious award.
- He is the 12th South Indian to get this award. He has already been honoured with the Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award:
- The award is given at National Film Festival to a person for his outstanding contribution to the development of Indian Cinemas. The award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a shawl, and a cash prize of ₹10,00,000.
- It is given by the Directorate of Film Festivals.
- It was first given in 1969 to the actress Devika Rani.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Personality in News
8. Lt Gen Manjinder Singh assumed charge as Chief of Staff, Western Command.
- Lieutenant General Manjinder Singh took charge as the Chief of Staff (CoS) of the Western Command.
- He will respond to command the area Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, and parts of Jammu.
- On 20 December 1986, he was commissioned in the 19 MADRAS Regiment.
- He has been awarded the Yudh Seva Medal in 2015 and the Vishwa Seva Medal in 2019 for his exceptional leadership and loyalty to the nation.
(Source: News on Air)
9. Special force of India and US conducted military exercise "Vajra Prahar 2021" in Himachal Pradesh
- A Joint military exercise "Vajra Prahar 2021" has been conducted between the special force of India and the US at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh. The exercise was the 11th edition of Vajra Prahar.
- The aim of the exercise was to share best practices and experiences in areas such as joint mission planning and operational strategy.
- India and the US conducted a two-day 'PASSEX' exercise in the Bay of Bengal on 28 and 29 March. In this Naval Exercise, India deployed its warship Shivalik and long-range maritime patrol aircraft P8I while the US Navy deployed its USS Theodore Rosevelt..
- PASSEX NAVAL Exercise:
- It is conducted by the Indian Navy with the navies of friendly countries in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region.
- It aims for improving the Defence cooperation between the countries.
10. India, Mauritius Free Trade Agreement has come into effect from Apr 1.
- The free trade agreement has signed between India and Mauritius, and which has been effected from April 1.
- As per the agreement, Several Indian products will enjoy the benefit of greater market access at concessional duties in Mauritius.
- On 22 February, both the country signed the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement (CECPA), which effected on 1 April 2021.
- Under this treaty, total 310 expert items of India including food and beverages, agricultural products, textile, base metals, electrical and electronic items, plastics and chemicals, and wood are covered.
- While, 615 products of Mauritius will get benefit from preferential market access into India, including frozen fish, specialty sugar, biscuits, fresh fruits, juices, mineral water, beer, alcoholic drinks, soaps, bags, medical and surgical equipment, and apparel
- Mauritius is a small island in the Indian Ocean.
- Its capital is Port Louis and its currency is the Mauritian Rupee.
- Pravind Kumar Jugnauth is the current Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- Mauritius is the fourth largest contributor to India’s FDI in 2020-21.