- 1. National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) launched a two-seater trainer aircraft HANSA-NG.
- 2. International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
- 3. Odisha celebrating its 86th Foundation Day
- 4. RBI Foundation Day: 1 April
- 5. Notification issued to declare Schistura Hiranyakeshi in Amboli, Sawantwadi, a Biodiversity Heritage Site.
- 6. NASA shares data of its Mars mission with space agencies of India, China, UAE and with European Space Agency.
- 7. Four labour codes not to be implemented from April 1, 2021.
- 8. Government cuts rates on small savings instruments for the first quarter of 2021-22.
- 9. India’s rank in World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report 2021 decreases by 28 places to 140th among 156 countries.
- 10. Filmfare Awards 2021: The winners of the award have been announced.
- 11. Virat Kohli remained in top position in ODI rankings and Bumrah slipped at the fourth position.
- 12. Under the UDAN scheme, 22 new routes are inaugurated.
1. National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) launched a two-seater trainer aircraft HANSA-NG.
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) has launched a two-seater trainer aircraft HANSA-NG (Next Generation), at the Belur campus.
- HANSA-NG (Next Generation) indigenous trainer aircraft has been developed by the National Aerospace Laboratories. It is an upgraded version of HANSA.
- HANSA-NG was certified by the DGCA under the JAR-VLA category. It will help in catering demand for trainer aircraft.
- It is equipped with a digitally controlled Rotax 912 ISC engine, a glass cockpit and IFR compliant avionics.
- An MoU has also been signed between NAL and Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy to purchase the five HANSA NG aircraft.
- National Aerospace Laboratories is also developing a 19 seater SARAS aircraft and 100 seater Regional Transport Aircraft.
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) was established by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. It is located in Bangalore. It is India’s largest aerospace firm in India.
Topic: Important Days
2. International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
- It was founded by the US-based transgender activist Rachel Crandall.
- It is celebrated every year on 31 March to raise awareness about the discrimination faced by transgender worldwide.
- Apart from this, it is also celebrated to show their contributions to society.
- The first International Transgender Day of Visibility was celebrated on March 31, 2009.
- Transgender around the world are facing the issues like abuse, violence, and the right to live with dignity.
- In 2014, transgender people were granted the legal status of ‘third gender’ in India.
Topic: Important Day
3. Odisha celebrating its 86th Foundation Day
- Odisha Day, also known as Utkala Divas, is celebrated every year on 1 April.
- It is celebrated in the memory of the formation of Odisha as a separate state in 1936. It was formed by the partitioning of the Bihar and Orissa Province.
- It is also celebrated in the remembrance of people who made their contribution in the formation of Odisha.
- This year, Odisha is celebrating its 86th Statehood day.
- The 113th Amendment Bill had changed the name of Orissa to Odisha.
- It is a state on the Bay of Bengal in the east of India.
- It is the eighth largest state by area and the eleventh largest by population.
- It is known for its tribal cultures and many ancient Hindu temples.
- Its capital is Bhubaneswar.
- The Chief Minister is Naveen Patnaik and Governor is Ganeshi Lal.
- Harekrushna Mahatab is the first Chief Minister of Odisha.
- It has 21 Lok Sabha seats and 10 Rajya Sabha seats.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
4. RBI Foundation Day: 1 April
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is celebrating its 86th foundation day.
- RBI was established on April 1, 1935, under the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. It was set up on the recommendations of the Hilton Young Commission.
- It is the central bank of India and regulates the banking system in India. It also regulates the monetary policy of India.
- The Reserve Bank of India was nationalised on 1 January 1949.
- The RBI Central Board consists of 21 members, including the Governor and four deputy governors.
- Shaktikanta Das is the current RBI governor.
Function of RBI
Topic: Environment and Ecology
5. Notification issued to declare Schistura Hiranyakeshi in Amboli, Sawantwadi, a Biodiversity Heritage Site.
- Under the Biological Diversity Act 2002, notification was issued to declare Schistura Hiranyakeshi in Amboli, Sawantwadi, a Biodiversity Heritage Site.
- Schistura Hiranyakeshi is located in the Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra.
- Schistura Hiranyakeshi is the name of fish species that was for the first time found in the Western Ghats in the local temple pond.
- Schistura is rare species of freshwater loach. This Biodiversity Heritage site is the source of the Hiranyakeshi River.
- Earlier, the state government has declared other biodiversity heritage sites. They are given below.
- Glory of Allapalli in Gadchiroli district
- Landor Khori Park in Jalgaon
- Ganesh Khind in Pune
- Myristica swamp vegetation in Sindhudurg district
- Under Section-37 of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002, the State Government, in consultation with local bodies, may notify areas of biodiversity importance as Biodiversity Heritage Sites (BHS).
6. NASA shares data of its Mars mission with space agencies of India, China, UAE and with European Space Agency.
- NASA shares data of its Mars mission with space agencies of India, China, UAE and the European Space Agency.
- This step of data sharing has been taken to lower the risk of collision between spacecraft orbiting red planet.
- The first Asian country to successfully send a spacecraft to Mars is India. Its Mangalyaan is orbiting around Mars since 2014. The names of mars mission of other agencies are given next.
Name of Countries/Space Agencies
Name of Mars Missions
- Mars is also known as Red Planet. Its two satellites are Phoebes and Demos.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is an independent space agency of the U.S. federal government.
- It was established in 1958 and it is responsible for the space program, and Space research in the USA.
- Its headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.
Topic: Indian Polity
7. Four labour codes not to be implemented from April 1, 2021.
- Four labour codes (codes on industrial relations, wages, social security and occupational health safety & working conditions) will not be implemented from April 1, 2021.
- Earlier, the Labour Ministry was to implement them from April 1, 2021. It had also finalized rules under the labour codes.
- States have not yet finalized rules under codes. Only some states have finalized rules so the implementation of codes is deferred.
- Labour is a concurrent subject, so both centre and states are required to notify rules under the codes.
Topic: Indian Economy
8. Government cuts rates on small savings instruments for the first quarter of 2021-22.
- Government has cut rates on small savings instruments for the first quarter of 2021-22.
- With this, the rate of return on Public Provident Fund has come down from 7.1% to 6.4%.
- Quarterly interest rate paid on one-year term deposits was cut from 5.5% in January to March Quarter to 4.4% in this quarter.
- Government usually revises interest rates on small saving instruments every quarter. Currently, retail inflation is crossing 6% mark and government is lowering interest rates to implement its borrowing plans for this year. Government has planned to borrow Rs12.05 lakh crore in 2021-22.
- Government has also cut down the rate of return on the Senior Citizen Savings Scheme, Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme and others as given below.
Rates till June 30
Rates till March 31
Senior Citizen Savings Scheme
Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme
National Savings Certificate
Public Provident Fund Scheme
Kisan Vikas Patra
6.2 (will now mature in 138 months)
6.9 (will mature in 124 months)
Topic: Reports and Indices
9. India’s rank in World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report 2021 decreases by 28 places to 140th among 156 countries.
- India’s rank in World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report 2021 has decreased by 28 places to 140th among 156 countries.
- In Global Gender Gap Report 2020, India was ranked at 112th among 153 countries.
- As per WEF’s Global Gender Gap Report 2021, India has closed 62.5% of its gender gap till date.
- As per the report, India’s gender gap on economic participation and opportunity sub-index widened by 3%.
- India’s gender gap on political empowerment sub-index declined most. The number of women ministers declined from 23.1% in 2019 to 9.1% in 2021.
- Women’s labour force participation rate declined from 24.8% to 22.3%. The share of women in professional and technical roles also declined. Other findings of the report are given next.
- Estimated earned income of women in India is only one-fifth of men’s estimated earned income.
- India ranks among the bottom five countries in the health and survival sub-index.
- More than one in four women has faced intimate violence in her lifetime.
- India has closed 96.2% of its gender gap on the educational attainment sub-index. However, gender gaps persist in literacy. One third of women are illiterate.
- Iceland is the world’s most gender-equal country for the 12th time.
- India is the third-worst performer in South Asia. Ranks of India’s neighbors are given below.
- Global Gender Gap Report 2020 was the 14th edition of Global Gender Gap Report. It was released in December 2019. Global Gender Gap Report 2021 is the 15th edition of Global Gender Gap Report. World Economic Forum publishes it.
- Four key dimensions of Global Gender Gap Report are Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment.
Sri Lanka (116)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
10. Filmfare Awards 2021: The winners of the award have been announced.
- The 66th Filmfare Awards 2021 winners have been announced.
- Late actor Irrfan Khan bagged the Best Actor (Male) award for his movie ‘Angrezi Medium’ and was also awarded a Lifetime Achievement award.
- Anubhav Sinha movie ‘Thappad’ won seven awards in the 66 Filmfare Award.
- The movie ‘Gulabo Sitabo’ won six awards in this event.
- The complete list of winners is given below:
- Best Film: Thappad
- Best Film (Critics): Prateek Vats (Eeb Allay Ooo!)
- Best Director: Om Raut (Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior)
- Best Actor in a Lead Role (MALE): Irrfan Khan (Angrezi Medium)
- Best Actor (Critics): Amitabh Bachchan (Gulabo Sitabo)
- Best Actor in a Lead Role (Female): Taapsee Pannu (Thappad)
- Best Actress (Critics): Tillotama Shome (SIR)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Male): Saif Ali Khan (Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Female): Farrokh Jaffar (Gulabo Sitabo)
- Best Debut Director: Rajesh Krishnan (Lootcase)
- Best Debut Female: Alaya F (Jawaani Jaaneman)
11. Virat Kohli remained in top position in ODI rankings and Bumrah slipped at the fourth position.
- Indian Team skipper Virat Kohli continued on top position in ICC ODI batsmen rankings with 870 points. Babar Azam is in the second position while Rohit Sharma Ranked third.
- KL Rahul jumped with 31 positions and ranked 27, while Rishab Pant made his place in the top 100 batsmen.
- In ICC Bowler ranking, Jasprit Bumrah slipped at fourth position with 690 points, and Indian Pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar jumped nine slots and made his position on rank 11.
- In the T20 ranking, KL Rahul ranked 5th and Kohli ranked 6th, and no Indian was included in the top-10 bowler and all-rounder.
- Ravichandran Ashwin remained in the second position in the ICC Test ranking while Australia’s Pat Cummins ranked on top.
- In the ICC test all-rounder’s list, Ravindra Jadeja ranked third, while Ashwin ranked fourth. Kohli ranked 5th in batsmen while Rishab Pant and Rohit Sharma both ranked on 7th position.
Topic: National News
12. Under the UDAN scheme, 22 new routes are inaugurated.
- A total of 22 new flights are inaugurated on 22 routes under the regional connectivity scheme ‘UDAN’ within the 3 days.
- Under the UDAN scheme, the financial incentive has been extended to selected airlines to encourage operations from unserved and underserved airports.
- Total 57 unserved and underserved airports, including five heliports and two water aerodromes, with 347 routes have been operationalized under the UDAN scheme across India till now.
- UDAN Scheme:
- Full form of UDAN is ‘Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik’.
- The scheme was launched in April 2017 under the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- It is a flagship scheme of the central government, which was launched with the objective of connecting regional routes, promoting balanced regional development, and making flights affordable for the common people.
- The Udan scheme is a major component of the National Civil Aviation Policy.