- 1. PM Modi inaugurates six Mega projects in Uttarakhand.
- 2. World Heart Day: 29 September.
- 3. Former Assam CM Syeda Anwara Taimur passes away.
- 4. Dr. P.D. Vaghela to become chairman of TRAI.
- 5. Famous Economist Isher Judge Ahluwalia passes away.
- 6. Three New National Investigation agency branches will be set up at Imphal, Chennai and Ranchi.
- 7. Railway digitalizes its supply chain through User Depot Module.
- 8. ICMR Vaccine Web portal and National Clinical Registry launched for COVID-19.
- 9. Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar award conferred to Usha Mangeshkar.
- 10. Odisha government launches Slum Upgradation Programme.
- 11. UP make a clean sweep in the awards for Implementation of Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
1. PM Modi inaugurates six Mega projects in Uttarakhand.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated six mega projects in Uttarakhand under the Namami Gange Mission.
- These projects include construction of Sewage Treatment Plants in Haridwar and Rishikesh, Chandreshwar Nagar, Chorpani and Badrinath.
- The first museum on Ganga, Ganga Avalokan, located at Chandi Ghat, Haridwar, was also inaugurated that will showcase the culture, biodiversity and rejuvenation activities done in Ganga river.
- He also launched a book titled ‘Rowing down the Ganges’ that conceptualizes the story of the Ganga. The book has been co-published by National Mission for Clean Ganga & Wildlife Institute of India.
- PM Modi also launched the logo of Jal Jeevan Mission and ‘Margdarshika’ for Gram Panchayats and ‘Paani Samitis’ under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Namami Gange Mission:
- It is a flagship program of Government of India launched in 2014.
- It is an umbrella program that aims to abate pollution, conserve and rejuvenate Ganga.
- It is being implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG).
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) carries out the water quality monitoring of river Ganga.
2. World Heart Day: 29 September.
- World Heart Day is a global campaign to highlight that by controlling risks factors like tobacco use, unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, etc. at least 80% of the premature deaths from CVDs can be avoided.
- The day was created by the World Heart Federation, the only CVD organization in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Cardiovascular Diseases (CVDs) including heart disease and stroke accounts for 17.9 million of deaths globally.
- World leaders committed to reduce global mortality from Non-Communicable Diseases by 25% by 2025.
- Theme 2020: “Use Heart to Beat CVD”
3. Former Assam CM Syeda Anwara Taimur passes away.
- The only woman Chief Minister of Assam, Syeda Anwara Taimur, passed away at the age of 84.
- She served as the Chief Minister of Assam from December 1980 to June 1981. During that time, the anti-foreigner movement in Assam was at its peak.
- She nominated to Rajya Sabha in 1988 and got elected in 2004.
(Source: The Hindu)
4. Dr. P.D. Vaghela to become chairman of TRAI.
- Dr. P.D. Vaghela will become chairman of TRAI by replacing current chairman Ram Sewak Sharma (R.S. Sharma) from 1 October for a period of three years or until the age of 65 years.
- The name of Dr. P.D. Vaghela has been approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- Dr. P.D. Vaghela is an IAS officer of the Gujarat cadre and is currently serving as Secretary, Department of Pharmaceuticals, since August 1, 2019.
- He has played an important role in the launching of GST in 2017 and also served as chairman of Kandla Port Trust.
- Ram Sewak Sharma (R.S. Sharma) has served as chairman of TRAI since August 2015.
- Appointment Committee of Cabinet:
- It is the committee that finalizes the appointment to some senior positions like chairman and member of Railway Board, Chiefs of three military services, RBI governor, etc.
- The committee is chaired by the Prime Minister and has the Union Home Minister onboard.
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI):
- It is a statutory body established under the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997.
- It issues directions, orders and regulations concerning tariffs, interconnection, quality of service and governance.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
(Source: Indian Express)
5. Famous Economist Isher Judge Ahluwalia passes away.
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia, an Indian economist, passed away due to brain cancer.
- She served as the director and chairman of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER).
- She was honoured with Padma Bhushan in 2009.
- Some of the books written by her are:
- Industrial Growth in India: Stagnation since the Mid-Sixties
- Productivity and Growth in Indian Manufacturing
- Breaking Through: A Memoir
- Urbanization in India: challenges, opportunities and the way forward
(Source: Indian Express)
6. Three New National Investigation agency branches will be set up at Imphal, Chennai and Ranchi.
- Home Ministry has approved the establishment of three new NIA branches at Imphal, Chennai, and Ranchi.
- These new branches will help in quick response to any emergent situation.
- It will also increase the capability of the agency against terrorism and other matters.
- National Investigation Agency (NIA):
- It was constituted under the provision of the NIA act 2008 in 2009.
- It is a central agency to investigate any terror-related cases across the country.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- At present, it has nine branches in India.
- Chief of NIA: Y.C. Modi
7. Railway digitalizes its supply chain through User Depot Module.
- User Depot Module is developed by the Centre for Railway Information system to digitalize its supply chain management.
- This system will be implemented in all Zones of Indian Railways.
- It will digitalize the information with real-time transactions and online information exchange among all stakeholders.
- It will digitalize user depots and will facilitate efficiency and transparency in asset management.
- Indian Railways:
- It comes under the Ministry of Railways.
- Indian Railways network is the fourth largest in the world by size.
- It is divided into 18 zones and 70 divisions.
- Current Chairman of Railway Board: Vinod Kumar Yadav
8. ICMR Vaccine Web portal and National Clinical Registry launched for COVID-19.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Health and Family Welfare Minister, has launched the ICMR’s vaccine web portal and National Clinical Registry for Covid-19.
- Vaccine web portal: It will provide information related to the COVID-19 vaccine development in India and abroad.
- National COVID-19 Clinical Registry: It will collect data regarding clinical and laboratory investigations, treatments, management protocols and outcomes of hospitalized COVID patients in India.
- Initiatives like Eat Right Movement, Fit India Movement and Poshan Abhiyaan have played a vital role in making people aware of a healthy lifestyle.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR):
- The Indian Council of Medical Research is the apex body in India for the creation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- It is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
9. Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar award conferred to Usha Mangeshkar.
- Veteran female playback singer Usha Mangeshkar was conferred Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar by the Maharashtra Government for the year 2020-21.
- She is the sister of famous playback singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- Usha Mangeshkar has sung songs in Marathi, Hindi and several other Indian language films.
- This award is given by the cultural department of the Maharashtra government.
- This award includes a cash prize of five lakh rupees, a certificate and a memento.
(Source: News on AIR)
10. Odisha government launches Slum Upgradation Programme.
- The Chief Minister of Odisha has launched a programme to make Odisha slum-free in three years.
- The slum upgradation programme is launched to improve the living condition of slum dwellers by providing them basic necessities.
- The programme aims to provide them with piped water supply, paved roads, street lights, sanitation, household electricity, community spaces and recreational areas.
- It will start initially in 1000 slums and will be extended in 3000 slums across the state in three years to make Odisha a slum free-state.
- An MoU has been signed between the Housing and Urban Development Department and the center of policy research for assistance in the implementation of the programme.
- It is a state on the Bay of Bengal in the east of India.
- It is known for its tribal cultures and many ancient Hindu temples.
- Its capital is Bhubaneswar.
- The Chief Minister is Naveen Patnaik and Governor is Ganeshi Lal.
(Source: News on AIR)
11. UP make a clean sweep in the awards for Implementation of Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan.
- UP government won eight awards out a total eleven award by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti for cleanliness and constructing maximum community toilets.
- UP has got the second rank in the implementation of the Gandagi Mukt Bharat scheme.
- In the individual category Prayagraj, Hardoi and Fatehpur got the first position in the Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan.
- The award will be distributed on 2nd October in a virtual ceremony.
- Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan:
- It was launched on 20thJune 2020 to provide employment and livelihood opportunities for migrant workers returned to their villages.
- The Ministry of Rural Development is the nodal Ministry for this campaign.
- It is a mission mode campaign for 125 days.
- A total of 116 districts from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, and Odisha have been selected for this campaign.