1. Three-day international symposium on Human spaceflight and exploration being held in Bengaluru
- Dr. K Sivan, the chairman of ISRO, said that India had developed essential critical technology required for the Gaganyaan Mission.
- He also said that India’s first space flight training simulator centre and astronauts training centre would be set up in Bengaluru.
- Two unmanned missions will be conducted by ISRO in December 2020 and June 2021 to test all the technologies developed using humanoids.
- 8 astronauts and heads of space agencies from 8 countries are participating in the Symposium.
- Gaganyaan Mission: It is India’s first human space flight programme that was formally announced on 15 August 2018.
2. Annual Wildlife Census begins in TN tiger reserve
- The annual wildlife survey has begun in Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu.
- The survey will be conducted in two phases- Phase 1- counting of carnivores like tiger, jackals, etc. and Phase 2- Counting of herbivores like elephants, deer, etc.
- The data of this census will be used in the annual State of Wildlife Population report released by Union Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate Change.
3. Sri Lanka topped the survey released by World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative (WBTi)
- In a recent survey conducted by the World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative (WBTi), Sri Lanka has topped and has scored 91/100 points.
- Sri Lanka has earned a green color code, which indicates the best performance.
- Sri Lanka has been placed in the first position on breastfeeding rate among the 97 countries.
- WBTi has been developed by the experts at the Breastfeeding Promotion Network in New Delhi.
- WBTi provides ranking and color code to the countries. The ranking is based on the performance in 10 indicators of policies and programs.
4. Aurobindo Ashram School building inaugurated in Nepal
- The new building of Aurobindo Ashram School, constructed with India’s assistance of 28.25 million Nepali rupees, has been inaugurated in Thankot, Kathmandu.
- The school was formed in 1993 by Shri Aurobindo Yoga Mandir.
- It is a landlocked country sharing its borders with India and Tibet.
- Its capital is Kathmandu and currency is Nepalese rupee.
5. Democracy Index 2019 released by EIU
- Democracy Index 2019 has been released by the Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- Norway has ranked first with a score of 9.71, while North Korea has been ranked the lowest.
- Bangladesh has improved its rankings by 8 positions as compared to its performance in 2018 (88th rank).
- India’s ranking slipped to 51st position with a score of 6.90 and has been placed in the flawed democracy category.
- According to the 2019 index, the global democracy score is the worst since 2006.
- Democracy Index ranks 165 independent states and 2 territories.
- The score is calculated under 5 sub-categories:
- Electoral Process and Pluralism
- Functioning of Government
- Political Participation
- Political Culture
- Civil Liberties
6. Union Cabinet approved an amount of Rs 4300 crore for the construction of permanent campuses of new NITs
- The Union Cabinet approved an amount of more than four thousand three hundred crore rupees to build the permanent campuses of the new National Institutes of Technology-NIT.
- Simultaneously, the Cabinet has approved the extension of tenure of the Commission constituted to examine the classification of sub-castes within other backward classes in the Central List by 6 months under Article 340 of the Constitution.
- This announcement was made by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi. He also added that Daman would be the new capital of the merged UTs- Daman and Diu & Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
7. Jaipur Literature Festival starts today
- Jaipur Literature Festival has started from today.
- The five-day event will have more than 200 sessions and will be attended by 500 speakers from 20 countries.
- The ceremony will include several speakers including Nobel Prize winner Abhijit Banerjee, Booker Prize-winner British novelist Howard Jacobson and Outer Elizabeth Gilbert.
- The broad themes of the festival this time include climate, constitution, poetry and artificial intelligence.
8. 123rd birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- The nation today is paying tribute to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 123rd birth anniversary.
- Many celebrations have been organized across the country to mark the occasion.
- Subhash Chandra Bose was born on 23rd January 1897.
- He was made the President of the Indian National Congress in 1938.
- He established Forward Block in 1939.
- In his honor, Ross Island has been renamed as Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island.
9. India and Tunisia will focus on expanding bilateral economic relations
- Dr. Jaishankar is on a three-day two-nation visit to Niger and Tunisia.
- This tour is his first visit to the African continent since becoming Foreign Minister.
- Foreign Minister S Jaishankar has called on his Tunisian counterpart, Sabri Bachtobji, to work closely in multilateral forums.
- India and Tunisia have agreed to focus on expanding bilateral economic relations.
- He also met Kais Saied, President of Tunisia, and the two leaders reiterated the need for a fair, just and a rules-based global order.
- Tunisia: It is a north African country whose capital is Tunis. Its currency is Tunisian Dinar.
10. Union Cabinet approves signing of MoU between Election Organizations of India and Tunisia and Papua New Guinea
- The Union Cabinet has allowed the Election Commission to sign a memorandum of understanding with the election organizations of Tunisia and Papua New Guinea for the management and administration of electoral activities.
- Simultaneously, the Cabinet has also approved four agreements between India and Brazil in areas such as oil and natural gas, geology and mineral resources, legal assistance to each other in criminal matters and care of young children.
11. Parliament to review the powers of the Speaker of the Lok Sabha and the Legislative Assembly
- The Supreme Court said that Parliament should seriously consider the constitutional amendment to give the right to disqualify a member to the Parliamentary Tribunal instead of the Speaker of the Lok Sabha or the Legislative Assembly.
- This tribunal can be presided over by a retired Judge of the Supreme Court or a retired Chief Justice of a High Court.
- The Court said that Parliament could also consider any other alternative system so that fair and speedy decisions can be ensured.
- The bench headed by Justice R F Nariman has ruled in the role of the Speaker of the House and the disqualification of the members.
12. Inauguration of the 1st Convention center established by India in memory of Mahatma Gandhi in Niger, Africa
- The first convention center set up by India in Niger in memory of Mahatma Gandhi has been inaugurated by India's Foreign Minister S.K. Jaishankar and Niger President Mahmadou Issoufou.
- The establishment of the Mahatma Gandhi International Convention Center marks India's commitment to Africa.
- Capital: Niamey
- Prime Minister: Brigi Rafini
- Currency: West African CFA Franc
13. Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar-2020
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020 at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- These awards are given annually to children for their bravery and achievements in innovation, social service, arts and culture and sports.
- The President also honored 22 children selected for National Bravery Award.
14. Third Khelo India Youth Games concluded in Guwahati
- The third Khelo India Youth Games concluded in Guwahati, Assam.
- The objective of these games is to carve out sports talent for the future.
- Maharashtra stood first with 78 gold medals. The state won a total of 245 medals including 77 silver and one hundred bronze medals.
- Haryana came second with 68 gold, 60 silver and 72 bronze medals.
- Delhi got 39 Gold, 36 Silver and 47 Bronze medals and finished third. Delhi is followed by Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- Host Assam finished seventh with 20 gold medals.
15. Launch of Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana in Uttar Pradesh
- The Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana has been launched by the Uttar Pradesh government.
- Under this, financial assistance will be provided to the families of those farmers who die while working in the fields or become disabled.
- The scheme also includes the bataidars, and the farmer or his family members will be given financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh in case of any mishappening.
- The Bataidars are the sharecroppers who work in the field of other persons and share the crop after its harvesting.
- The UP government has also decided to implement Mukhyamantri Paryatan Samvardhan Yojana to promote tourism in the state.
16. Film Tanhaji starring Ajay Devgn Tax-Free in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra cabinet has made the film ‘Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior’ starring Ajay Devgn tax-free.
- The film is based on the life of Tanaji Malusare, a trusted assistant to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, who played a special role in conquering the Kondana Fort.
- This fort is as famous as Sinhagad Fort near Pune. It is directed by Om Raut.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. What is the theme of the Jaipur Literature Festival 2020?
C. Artificial Intelligence
D. All of the above
2. The name of Ross Island has been changed in honor of which of the following legends?
A. Subhash Chandra Bose
B. Bal Gangadhar Tilak
C. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee
D. Atal Bihari Vajpayee
3. Kais Saied is the President of which of the following countries?
4. Recently the Union Cabinet of India has approved the signing of a memorandum of understanding with which country's Election Commission?
B. Papua New Guinea
C. Both of the above
5. In which of the following African country, an international convention center has been established in honor of the Mahatma Gandhi?
B. South Africa
6. Which state has performed the best in the third Khelo India Youth Games?
7. Recently which state government has launched the Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Andhra Pradesh
C. Madhya Pradesh
D. Arunachal Pradesh
8. Tanaji Malusare was in the court of which of the following rulers?
B. Peshwa Bajirao I
C. Peshwa Bajirao II
D. None of these
9. Kalakad Mundanathurai Tiger Reserve is located in which state?
A. Tamil Nadu
D. Andhra Pradesh
10. In the report released by the World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative, which country has topped?
C. Sri Lanka
11. With which of the following countries does Nepal share its borders?
D. Both A and B
12. What is the name of India's first manned space mission?
C. Mission Human
13. Which rank has been awarded to India in the Democracy Index released by the Economic Intelligence Unit?