- 1. First NABL accredited honey testing lab of India set up at Anand.
- 2. All small savings schemes extended to the branch post office level by Postal Department.
- 3. Clinical trials of HGCO19, vaccine developed by Gennova, likely to start by end of this year.
- 4. Famous Dancer Amala Shankar passed away.
- 5. Waterway usage charges will be waived with immediate effect.
- 6. e-Symposium on Handicrafts inaugurated by Tribal Affairs Minister.
- 7. 17th meeting of Working mechanism on India-China Border Affairs held.
- 8. Cross-border Conversations with entrepreneurs from ASEAN organized by India ASEAN Women’s Business Forum and FICCI.
- 9. Surveillance Quadcopter and anti-depredation quick response vehicle unveiled in Assam.
- 10. Anandiben Patel appointed as Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- 11. Progress of multipurpose projects-Ujh and Shahpur Kandi Dam reviewed by J&K administrative Council.
- 12. Serological Survey conducted in Delhi found presence of coronavirus specific antibodies.
- 13. World’s first electrified rail tunnel fit to run double-stack containers to be operational in 12 months.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
1. First NABL accredited honey testing lab of India set up at Anand.
- The first NABL accredited honey testing lab of India has been inaugurated by Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar.
- This lab has been established by the National Dairy Development Board at Anand, Gujarat.
- This testing lab will open new opportunities for apiarists (who breed honey bees) not only at domestic level but also for exporting to US and Europe. The lab will help honey farmers, cooperatives and honey industry to produce quality honey.
- The honey will be tested in the lab as per the norms specified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The lab has been accredited by NABL and Export Inspection Council. FSSAI has also given approval as a national reference lab.
- National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL):
- It is a constituent board of the Quality Council of India.
- It is an autonomous body under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Formation: 1998
- Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana
2. All small savings schemes extended to the branch post office level by Postal Department.
- All small savings schemes have been extended to the branch post office level by the Department of Posts.
- This will empower rural India as all the savings schemes of the post office will be accessible to rural people.
- Small Saving schemes like Public Provident Fund, Monthly Income Scheme, National Savings Certificate, Kisan Vikas Patra and Senior Citizen Savings Schemes will now be accessible to the people through the post office in their villages.
- Department of Posts is a subsidiary of the Ministry of Communications which was founded in 1854 by Lord Dalhousie. Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
3. Clinical trials of HGCO19, vaccine developed by Gennova, likely to start by end of this year.
- The clinical trials of vaccine developed by Pune based Gennova Biopharmaceuticals is likely to begin by the end of this year.
- The vaccine named HGCO19 is messenger RNA based COVID 19 potential vaccine candidate and is first of its kind.
- The vaccine uses self-replicating messenger RNA platform, which ensures low injectable dose and sustained antigen release.
- Neutralizing antibodies have been developed in non-human primates due to this vaccine.
- Gennova, in collaboration with HDT Biotech of the USA, has developed this vaccine. The Department of Biotechnology facilitated the development of this vaccine under the Ind-CEPI mission.
- Ind-CEPI is a mission that was approved on 27th March 2019 and is a program on Epidemic preparedness through rapid vaccine development.
- It aims to strengthen the development of vaccines for the diseases of epidemic potential in India as well as build coordinated preparedness in the Indian public health system and vaccine industry to address existing and emergent infectious threats in India.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. Famous Dancer Amala Shankar passed away.
- Recently, the famous dancer and choreographer Amala Shankar passed away at the age of 101 in Kolkata.
- She was suffering from age-related diseases and died of cardiac arrest.
- She is the wife of legendary dancer and choreographer Uday Shankar.
- She was awarded the Banga Bibushan in 2011 by the West Bengal government.
(Source: Indian Express)
5. Waterway usage charges will be waived with immediate effect.
- In order to promote inland waterways as an eco-friendly and cheaper mode of transport, the Ministry of Shipping will waive off the waterway usage charges with immediate effect.
- These charges will be waived initially for three years.
- This decision will have the following benefits:
- It will attract industries to use national waterways for their logistical needs.
- It will reduce the burden on other modes of transport.
- It will promote the ease of doing business.
- It will remove the barrier in the administration of traffic movement and collect traffic data.
- It will promote economic activities and development in the region.
- The waterway charges are levied by the Inland Waterways Authority of India. These charges are as follows:
- 2 paise per gross registered tonnage per kilometre for plying of Inland cargo vessels
- 5 paise per gross registered tonnage per kilometre for plying of Cruise vessels on national waterways.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI):
- It is a statutory authority which is incharge of waterways in India.
- It was formed in 1986 under IWAI Act 1985.
- Headquarters: Noida, UP
- Current Chairman: Amita Prasad
6. e-Symposium on Handicrafts inaugurated by Tribal Affairs Minister.
- Arjun Munda, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, inaugurated the e-Symposium on Handicrafts.
- This symposium was organized by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Centre for Policy Research and Analysis, IIM Shillong.
- E-Symposium was titled 'Emergent North-East India: Strategic and Developmental Imperatives in Handicrafts'.
- He said that the Bamboos in NE states can be used to make better quality of Agarbattis and the burden of import will be reduced.
7. 17th meeting of Working mechanism on India-China Border Affairs held.
- Recently, the 17th meeting the working mechanism for consultation and co-ordination on India-China Border Affairs was held.
- The sides agreed early disengagement of the troops along the Line of Actual of Control (LAC) in the western sector and de-escalation from the border as per the bilateral agreement and protocols.
- The Working Mechanism for Consultation & Coordination on India-China Border Affairs was established in January 2012.
- Joint Secretary, East Asia from the Ministry of External Affairs and the Director General of the Boundary and Oceanic Department of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs participated in the talks.
8. Cross-border Conversations with entrepreneurs from ASEAN organized by India ASEAN Women’s Business Forum and FICCI.
- Recently, India ASEAN Women’s Business Forum and FICCI organized Cross-border Conversations with entrepreneurs from ASEAN.
- While addressing the conversation, Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Dr Jitendra Singh said that India and ASEAN will play a lead role in the post-COVID World Economic Recovery.
- India and ASEAN share common traits of courage, and the cultural ties and close business between the two will lead to economic recovery in the post-Corona era.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
- It is a regional organization that was established on 8 August 1967 in Bangkok.
- Members: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam
- Motto: “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”
- Secretariat: Indonesia, Jakarta
9. Surveillance Quadcopter and anti-depredation quick response vehicle unveiled in Assam.
- Recently, Surveillance Quadcopter (drone) and anti-depredation quick response vehicle has been inaugurated in Guwahati, Assam.
- This drone will provide 24x7 surveillance over the forest cover of Assam and will help to check in the increasing cases of animal-man conflict.
- Under this initiative, three Special Surveillance Quadcopters and an Anti-degradation Quick Response Vehicle have been introduced in the state.
- It is a northeastern state of India.
- Capital: Dispur
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
10. Anandiben Patel appointed as Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- The present Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Anandiben Patel, has been appointed as the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- The decision has been taken after the death of Lalji Tandon.
- Governor is the constitutional head of the State appointed by the President of India.
- The Governor can continue in his office during the pleasure of the President.
- A person can serve as the Governor of more than one state at a time.
11. Progress of multipurpose projects-Ujh and Shahpur Kandi Dam reviewed by J&K administrative Council.
- Recently, the progress of multipurpose projects- Ujh and Shahpur Kandi Dam has been reviewed by the J&K Administrative Council.
- Ujh project is Multi-purpose Project worth 9,167 crore rupee located on the River Ujh which is a tributary of River Ravi.
- Shahpur Kandi Dam is located on the Ravi River will generate 206 MW of power in Punjab. It will reduce the outflow of the Ravi river water to Pakistan once it is completed.
- The Shahpur kandi dam project was described as a "national project" by the Centre in 2008.
12. Serological Survey conducted in Delhi found presence of coronavirus specific antibodies.
- In the recent serological survey conducted in Delhi, coronavirus specific antibodies have been founded in around 23% of the samples tested.
- The results suggest that herd immunity could be approaching.
- Serological Survey is conducted to know whether the person had developed antibodies against the coronavirus or not.
- Antibodies are the proteins produced by the immune system to fight germs that enter human body.
- These antibodies are produced after the infection has happened and are specific to a particular virus or bacteria.
- But, the presence of antibodies does not ensure protection against the disease. The amount of antibodies and presence of neutralizing antibodies (that can fight the disease) is important.
- Herd immunity is a stage of an epidemic in which some members remain protected from infection because majority of people around them have developed immunity due to vaccination or being infected earlier.
13. World’s first electrified rail tunnel fit to run double-stack containers to be operational in 12 months.
- The world’s first electrified rail tunnel fit to run double-stack containers will start operating in the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor in the next 12 months.
- The tunnel connects Mewat and Gurugram district of Haryana. It is one of the biggest Railway tunnels in India cross-sectional area-wise.
- Double stack container goods train will be able to run at a speed of more than 100km from this tunnel.
- The Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL), the implementing agency of the project.
(Source: Indian Express)