- 1. India- USA 2+2 Meeting held in New Delhi.
- 2. Shri Mansukh Mandaviya starts DPE facility of V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust.
- 3. Agreement signed between India Post and US Postal service.
- 4. ‘Parampara Series 2020-National Festival of Music and Dance’ launched by Vice President of India.
- 5. Agriculture Produce Market Amendment Bill 2020 passed by Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly.
- 6. “Bundi: Architectural Heritage of a Forgotten Rajput Capital” webinar has been organised under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series.
- 7. President Ram Nath Kovind pays floral tributes to President K.R. Narayanan.
- 8. 74th Infantry Day celebrated by Indian Army’s Northern Command.
- 9. Minister for Road Transport & Highways announces completion of Feni Bridge by December 2020.
- 10. Bangladeshi boy Anzar Mustaeen Ali wins special prize in Global Art Competition.
- 11. Daniel Menaker, an international author and editor passed away.
- 12. Rajesh Nambiar named as Chairman and MD of Cognizant India.
- 13. India to reorganize Military under Five Theatre Commands.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
1. India- USA 2+2 Meeting held in New Delhi.
- India- USA 2+2 Meeting was held in New Delhi on 27 October 2020 and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA) was signed between two countries during meeting.
- India- USA 2+2 meeting held on 27 October 2020 was the third edition of India- USA 2+2 dialogue.
- A total of five agreements were signed during the visit.
- Now, India will get access to US geospatial intelligence and increase the accuracy of automated systems and weapons like missiles and armed drones.
- Earlier, they have signed the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) in 2016 and the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) in 2018.
- In 2002, the General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA) was signed between India and US. In 2016, US designated India a “Major Defence Partner”.
- In the past, two countries have taken other steps to strengthen defence cooperation such as positioning a USN LO at Indian Navy’s Information Fusion Centre for Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR) and Indian LO at the United States Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT), Bahrain.
- India – US 2+2 dialogue:
- It is the highest-level institutional mechanism between India and USA that brings together our perspectives on foreign policy, defence and strategic issues.
- It was first held in New Delhi in 2018.
- The second India-US 2+2 dialogue was held in Washington, DC in 2019.
(Source: News on AIR)
2. Shri Mansukh Mandaviya starts DPE facility of V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust.
- Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C), Shri Mansukh Mandaviya, has started ‘Direct Port Entry (DPE) facility’ of V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust (earlier called Tuticorin Port Trust).
- DPE facility would lower logistics costs and increase the velocity of the cargo. It will enable direct movement of containers from factories.
- The port has signed an MoU with Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC) to operate DPE facility for 30 years.
- Ministry of Shipping is working on Maritime Vision 2030. It will replace Sagarmala Initiative.
- V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust:
- It was earlier called Tuticorin Port Trust.
- It is a major port. It is an artificial port.
- It is Tamil Nadu’s second-largest port and fourth-largest container terminal in India.
- It is located in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. It is an all-weather port.
3. Agreement signed between India Post and US Postal service.
- An agreement has been signed between India Post and US Postal Service for the electronic exchange of customs data about postal shipments between India and US.
- The agreement will allow the exchange of data about postal items before their physical arrival at the destination.
- The US comes in first place in the list of export destinations for India’s exports. It is followed by UAE and China.
- Mostly exported items are MSME products, Gems and Jewelry, Pharmaceuticals and other local products from India.
- In September 2020, India Post launched the Five Star Villages Scheme.
- India Post (Department of Post) comes under the Ministry of Communications. It was formed in 1854. Shri Vineet Pandey is the current Director-General of Postal Services.
4. ‘Parampara Series 2020-National Festival of Music and Dance’ launched by Vice President of India.
- ‘Parampara Series 2020-National Festival of Music and Dance’ has been launched by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- The festival is being organized virtually. It is organized by Natya Tarangini in partnership with the United Nations.
- The festival has been organized continuously for 23 years. Parampara Series 2020 coincides with World Day for Audio-visual Heritage.
- Natya Tarangini is an institute founded by famous Kuchipudi dancers Raja and Radha Reddy and Kaushalya Reddy.
5. Agriculture Produce Market Amendment Bill 2020 passed by Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly.
- The Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly has passed the Agriculture Produce Market Amendment Bill 2020.
- Several amendments have been done in the bill, which includes the state government to declare private mandis as deemed mandis, setting up the electronic trading platform, and safeguard the fair price of farmer’s produce.
- According to the state government, it doesn’t override the central farm laws. It only protects the state’s farmers’ interest.
- Recently, parliament has passed the three agriculture laws to bring reforms in the labour and agriculture sectors.
- The conflict between state and central government arises because the constitution has placed agriculture in the state list, which means that the state government can only address issues related to agriculture.
- The state was formed on 1 November 2000 by dividing ten Chhattisgarhi and six Gondi-speaking southeastern districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- Its capital is Raipur. The state animal of Chhattisgarh is the wild Asiatic buffalo and the state bird is mountain myna.
- The state is ranked 9th in terms of area in the country.
- The State Governor is Anusuiya Uike and Chief Minister is Bhupesh Baghel.
- Lok Sabha Seats- 11, Rajya Sabha Seats- 5
6. “Bundi: Architectural Heritage of a Forgotten Rajput Capital” webinar has been organised under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series.
- The Ministry of Tourism has organized “Bundi: Architectural Heritage of a Forgotten Rajput Capital” webinar under the Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series.
- It was presented by an Architect-Urban Planner and an urbanist Charudatta Deshmukh.
- It has focused on the architectural design of Bundi, the capital of Hada Rajput province in Rajasthan.
- Bundi is also known as city of step walls, blue city and also as Chotti Kashi due to the presence of many temples inside and around the Hada capital.
- Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series is an effort to showcase India’s rich diversity under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- The Architecture of Bundi:
- Bundi is known for its water harvesting methods and this medieval city is the finest example of water architecture.
- The external use of colour on the external façade of houses imparted a unique radiance and vibrancy to the streets of Bundi.
- It has Jharokhas in the houses on the upper floors to provide light and ventilation.
- In the early phase of Bundi’s growth, temples were of Nagara style, but later, a new style emerged from the amalgamation of the architectural form of traditional haveli with the Nagara style.
- The Third style emerged in the form of Jain temples constructed in an introvert form, with the features of Torna gateways at the entrance, large cuboid opaque mass and a central courtyard with and shikars on garbhagriha.
- The fourth style emerged in the form of raised or elevated temples.
- The Architectural heritage of Bundi can be classified into six typologies: -
- Garh (Fort)
- Garh Mahal (Royal Palace)
- Bhj Mahal
- Chattar Mahal
- Ummed Mahal
- Baori (Step well)
- Khoj Darwaja ki Baori
- Bhawaldi Baori
- Kund (Stepped tank)
- Dhabhai ji ka Kund
- Nagar Kund & Sagar Kund
- Rani Kund
- Sagar mahal (Lake Palace)
- Moti Mahal
- Sukh Mahal
- Shikar Burj
- Chhatri (Cenotaph)
- Garh (Fort)
7. President Ram Nath Kovind pays floral tributes to President K.R. Narayanan.
- President Ram Nath Kovind paid floral tributes to the 10th President of India, Kocheril Raman Narayanan (K.R. Narayanan), on his birth anniversary.
- He was born on 27 October 1920 and died on 9 November 2005. He served as President from 1997 to 2002.
- He also served as the 9th Vice President of India from 1992 to 1997. He was the first person who came from the Dalit community and became President of India.
- He was the first Dalit President of India. He was the first Indian President who voted in the general election when in office. He was succeeded by Dr A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
8. 74th Infantry Day celebrated by Indian Army’s Northern Command.
- Indian Army’s Northern Command celebrated 74th Infantry Day to mark the Indian Army’s operations against Pakistani aggression on Jammu and Kashmir.
- Wreath laying ceremony was held at Dhruva Shahid Smarak in Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Infantry Day is celebrated to mark the Indian Army’s operations on 27 October 1947 against Pakistani aggression on Jammu and Kashmir.
- Northern Command:
- Indian Army’s Northern Command is headquartered in Udhampur.
- Lieutenant General Yogesh Kumar Joshi is its commander.
- It carries out Counter Insurgency & Counter-Terrorism operations in J&K.
(Source: News on AIR)
9. Minister for Road Transport & Highways announces completion of Feni Bridge by December 2020.
- Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Nitin Gadkari, has announced the completion of Feni Bridge by December 2020.
- Feni Bridge will make the movement of goods from Bangladesh’s Chattogram port and India’s Kolkata port easier.
- An integrated check post will be constructed in Sabrum, Tripura. A train will also be started from Tripura to Bangladesh.
- Feni Bridge will be a reinforced cement concrete (RCC) bridge over the Feni River. It will be a 1.8-kilometre-long and connect Sabrum in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
- Feni River:
- It is a transboundary river.
- It is part of the 4,156 km long India-Bangladesh border.
- It originates from South Tripura.
- Muhuri River (Little Feni) joins Feni river.
10. Bangladeshi boy Anzar Mustaeen Ali wins special prize in Global Art Competition.
- Bangladeshi boy Anzar Mustaeen Ali has won a special prize in ICCR’s Global Art Competition.
- Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) has organized a global painting competition named ‘United Against CORONA- Express through Art’.
- Entries for the competition were received from all over the world. However, the maximum numbers of entries were from Bangladesh.
- The competition has four different sections. They are Contemporary Art, Folk and Tribal Art, Cartoons and Illustrations and Digital and New Age Art.
- ICCR is an autonomous organization that was founded in 1950 by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. Dr. Vinay Sahasrabuddhe is its current President.
11. Daniel Menaker, an international author and editor passed away.
- Daniel Menaker, an award-winning author and editor, died at the age of 79.
- He has authored several books, including “My Mistake” and “The Treatment and works in The New Yorker and Random House as an editor.
- He had won the O. Henry Award for his book “The Old Left”.
- He had worked with the MFA program at Stony Brook Southampton and as a consultant for Barnes & Noble Bookstores.
- He had also edited the book “Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics,” one of the best seller book about Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign.
(Source: N Y TIMES)
12. Rajesh Nambiar named as Chairman and MD of Cognizant India.
- Rajesh Nambiar has been appointed as the chairman and managing director of Cognizant India and a member of its executive committee effective November 9.
- He will join Cognizant from Ciena, where he holds the post of Chairman and President of Ciena, India.
- He will focus on accelerating the Firm’s growth in networking systems and services in the country.
- He has experience of working in many IT firms including IBM, TCS, etc.
- He will replace Ramkumar Ramamoorthy, who has resigned in July from this role.
(Source: Times of India)
13. India to reorganize Military under Five Theatre Commands.
- Indian Army will reorganize itself under the five Theatre Commands by 2022.
- It will help in creating a seamless command structure and defined operations for better-synchronized operations.
- The restructuring process of three services under the Theater Command has begun with the Special Northern Command of China and the Western Command of Pakistan.
- The Northern command remit will start from the Karakoram Pass in Ladakh and continue till Kibithu in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Western Command remit will begin from Indira Col on Saltoro Ridge in the Siachen Glacier region to the tip of Gujarat.
- The third theatre command will be the Peninsular Command.
- The fourth will be a full-fledged air defence command and the fifth will be a maritime command.
- Air command will be responsible for defending the Indian airspace through its multi-role fighters and anti-aircraft missiles.
- In the current scenario, the Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and the Indian Navy defend Indian airspace separately on different communication frequencies without any Synchronization.
- Indian water space will be under one maritime command; it will be responsible for protecting the Indian Ocean and the island areas of India.
- Lt General or equivalent rank commanders will lead all five commands.
- Theaterisation of commands:
- It means placing units of the army, air force, and navy under a single Theatre Commander for better synergy of operations.
- It will integrate resources of the three services under one command.