- 1. Arun Raste to be appointed as new MD & CEO of NCDEX.
- 2. IIT Guwahati collaborated with railways for operation and expansion of rail network in Northeast.
- 3. World Day for Safety and Health at Work: 28 April
- 4. India and Russia agreed to establish a “2+2 ministerial dialogue”.
- 5. Justice Rajesh Bindal will assume charge of Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- 6. Noted Odia and English writer Manoj Das passed away.
- 7. T V Somanathan designated as new Finance Secretary.
- 8. Jacqueline Fernandez roped in as brand ambassador of Van Heusen’s new denim brand.
- 9. Union Cabinet approves signing of agreement between India and UK.
- 10. LCA Tejas allowed carrying Python-5 air-to-air missile.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
1. Arun Raste to be appointed as new MD & CEO of NCDEX.
- Arun Raste will be appointed as the new Managing Director and CEO of National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange Ltd (NCDEX) for five years.
- His appointment has been approved by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- At present, he is the Executive Director of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- He had also served as director of the Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt Ltd.
- National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange Ltd (NCDEX):
- It was formed in 2003 as a public limited company.
- It is an online commodity exchange platform.
- It brings buyers and sellers together through its electronic trading platform.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
2. IIT Guwahati collaborated with railways for operation and expansion of rail network in Northeast.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IITG) and the North East Frontier Railway (NFR) have signed an MoU for improving maintenance and operations of train.
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IITG) will help Indian railways in the expansion of rail networks in the North-Eastern states.
- It will also help in making stations plastic-free by providing alternate biodegradable polymer-based technologies.
- Both will jointly execute the projects in different fields like bridges, Information Technology, signaling, and Artificial Intelligence-based predictive maintenance systems.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IITG) will also help railways in the development of world-class railway stations in the North East.
- North East Frontier Railway (NFR):
- It is one of the 17 railway zones of the Indian Railway.
- It is responsible for the operation and expansion of the railway network in Northeastern states.
Topic: Important Days
3. World Day for Safety and Health at Work: 28 April
- The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is celebrated every year on 28 April.
- Its main aim is to promote the prevention of occupational accidents and diseases around the world.
- Apart from this, it is also celebrated to raise awareness about safety and healthy culture at work.
- In 2003, International Labour Organization (ILO) had declared this day to prevent death and injuries at work.
- Theme for World Day for Safety and Health at Work 2021- ‘Anticipate, prepare and respond to crises and invest now in resilient OHS systems’.
- This day is also used as an opportunity to bring the attention of all countries to follow safety guidelines at the workplace.
Topic: International News
4. India and Russia agreed to establish a “2+2 ministerial dialogue”.
- India and Russia have agreed to establish a "2+2 ministerial dialogue" between foreign and defense ministers.
- It will help in enhancing the bilateral strategic partnership between both countries.
- So far, India has established “2+2 ministerial dialogue” with United States, Japan, and Australia.
- Recently, India and Russia held a bilateral meeting on UNSC issues in Moscow at the DG level.
- Russia is also providing the ‘Sputnik-V’ coronavirus vaccine to India.
5. Justice Rajesh Bindal will assume charge of Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- President has appointed Justice Rajesh Bindal as the Chief Justice of Calcutta High court. He will assume the charge from 29 April 2021.
- He will take the place of Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan.
- Justice Rajesh Bindal had started his career as an advocate in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- In 2006, he was appointed as a Permanent Judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- He has been appointed by the President under Article 217.
- High Court:
- It is the principal civil court for state and union territory.
- There are 25 High Courts in India.
- The Calcutta High Court is the oldest in India.
- The High Court of Andhra Pradesh is the newest High court in India.
Topic: Personality in News
6. Noted Odia and English writer Manoj Das passed away.
- Renowned writer and educationist Manoj Das died at the age of 87.
- He will be remembered for his contribution to the field of education and philosophy. He is known for his simplicity and spirituality.
- He was conferred the Padma Shri in 2001 and Padma Bhushan in 2020.
- He has written many books in English and Odia language.
- He was teaching Aurobindo’s philosophy since 1963 in the Ashram run International Centre of Education.
7. T V Somanathan designated as new Finance Secretary.
- T V Somanathan has been designated as the new Finance Secretary.
- As per the order issued by Personnel Ministry, Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment as Finance Secretary.
- He has been serving as Secretary, Department of Expenditure in Ministry of Finance since December 2019. He is a 1987 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre.
- The senior-most officer among all the secretaries in the Ministry of Finance is designated as the Finance Secretary.
8. Jacqueline Fernandez roped in as brand ambassador of Van Heusen’s new denim brand.
- Van Heusen has signed Jacqueline Fernandez as the brand ambassador for its new sub-brand Denim Labs.
- Sportswear brand ASICS has appointed Ravindra Jadeja as its brand ambassador.
- Other recent appointments are as follows:
McDonald’s, Khazana Jewellery
Chingari (short video app)
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
9. Union Cabinet approves signing of agreement between India and UK.
- Union Cabinet has given its nod to the signing of an agreement between India and UK to share information and prevent Customs offences.
- With the signing of this agreement, both sides will be able to get relevant information that will help in preventing and investigating customs offences.
- It is also expected to facilitate trade and ensure efficient clearance of goods traded between the countries.
- In November 2020, Cabinet approved the signing of MoU between CDSCO, India and UK MHRA in the field of Medical Products regulation.
- Cabinet also approved the signing of MoU between India and UK on cooperation in the field of telecommunication.
10. LCA Tejas allowed carrying Python-5 air-to-air missile.
- Light Combat Aircraft Tejas has been allowed to carry Python-5 air-to-air missile.
- This will enhance the combat capability of the aircraft.
- Derby Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Air-to-Air Missile (AAM) is already integrated on Tejas.
- It is indigenously developed light combat aircraft.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has manufactured this aircraft.
- It is a single-engine and highly agile multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft capable of operating in high-threat air environments.
- In January 2021, Cabinet Committee on Security approved the purchase of 83 Tejas fighter jets for IAF.