- 1. Foundation stone of India’s first Test bed for Autonomous Navigation Systems laid at IIT Hyderabad.
- 2. First of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management – “Digital Ocean” launched.
- 3. India’s highest meteorological centre inaugurated by Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Leh (Ladakh).
- 4. Action Agenda for an Atma Nirbhar Bharat report released by Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- 5. Global Alliance for Vaccines & Immunisation nominated Dr. Harsh Vardhan as a member of GAVI Board.
- 6. EU-UK post- Brexit trade deal approved.
- 7. BARC developed plaque therapy for eye cancer for the first time.
- 8. Bureau of Police Research & Development has released data on Police Organizations.
- 9. As per a report, India has been worst affected by extreme weather events in 2020.
- 10. Union Minister releases the book “Sutranivednachi sutra- ek anbav".
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: National News
1. Foundation stone of India’s first Test bed for Autonomous Navigation Systems laid at IIT Hyderabad.
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has virtually laid the foundation stone of TiHAN-IIT Hyderabad.
- TiHAN-IIT Hyderabad is the first Test bed for Autonomous Navigation Systems (Terrestrial and Aerial) of India.
- Under the National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NM-ICPS), IIT Hyderabad was provided a grant to set up a Technology Innovation Hub on Autonomous Navigation and Data Acquisition Systems (UAVs, RoVs, etc.).
- The facility will be available for use by all the industries, R&D labs, academia conducting R&D in the broad areas of autonomous navigation.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
2. First of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management – “Digital Ocean” launched.
- Minister of Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched the web-based application- Digital Ocean.
- INCOIS of Ministry of Earth Sciences has developed this first of its kind digital platform for ocean data management.
- This platform will help in the sustainable management of our oceans and expanding ‘Blue Economy’ initiatives.
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS):
- It is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- It was established in 1999.
- It provides ocean information and advisories to various stakeholders.
- It also provides warning services for tsunamis, storm surges, high waves, etc.
- Director: Dr. T. Srinivasa Kumar
Topic: National News
3. India’s highest meteorological centre inaugurated by Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Leh (Ladakh).
- India’s highest meteorological centre has been inaugurated by Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Leh(Ladakh).
- The centre will be located at the height of 3500 metres from mean sea level. It will provide weather forecasts for tourist places like Nubra, Changthang, Pangong Lake, Zanskar, Kargil, Drass, Dha-Baima (Aryan valley), Khalsi and others.
- Ladakh region is prone to Cloud bursts, Flash Floods, Avalanches and Glacial Lake Outbursts, etc, due to lofty mountains with high slopes and no vegetation and a lot of loose soil and debris.
- Minister of Earth Sciences said that IMD would provide weather forecast services on a daily basis for Leh and Kargil.
- Highway Forecast, Forecast for Mountaineering, Trekking, agriculture, flash flood warning, low and high temperatures will also be made available.
- Currently, IMD has 6 Regional Meteorological Centres at Mumbai, Chennai, New Delhi, Calcutta, Nagpur and Guwahati.
- In terms of area, Leh district is the second-largest district in India after Kutch district, Gujarat.
- Kargil district is located to its west. Lahul and Spiti are located to its south. Akshai Chin and Tibet are to its east.
- National Highway 1 connects Leh with Srinagar.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Rankings
4. Action Agenda for an Atma Nirbhar Bharat report released by Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- Action Agenda for an Atma Nirbhar Bharat report has been released by Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), New Delhi has prepared the report. The Minister said that a plan should be prepared to bring into effect key suggestions in the report by 15th August 2022.
- The Minister said that the report is a follow-up of TIFAC’s White Paper on Focused Interventions for Make in India: post-COVID -19.
- The White Paper on Focused Interventions for Make in India: post-COVID -19 was released in July.
- Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC):
- It is an autonomous body under Department of Science and Technology.
- It was formed in 1998. Dr. V.K. Saraswat is the chairman of TIFAC Governing Council.
- It has 9 ex-officio members and 8 eminent members.
(Source: News on AIR)
5. Global Alliance for Vaccines & Immunisation nominated Dr. Harsh Vardhan as a member of GAVI Board.
- Global Alliance for Vaccines & Immunisation (GAVI) has nominated Dr. Harsh Vardhan as a member of GAVI Board.
- He will represent India on GAVI Board for a period of two years from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2023.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan is presently holding the posts of Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Science & Technology and Health& Family Welfare.
- He will represent South East Area Regional Office/ Western Pacific Regional Office constituency on GAVI Board. Myint Htwe of Myanmar is currently holding this position.
- GAVI Board:
- It is the supreme governing body of GAVI. It has 28 members. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala of Nigeria chairs it.
- UNICEF, WHO, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have four permanent seats on GAVI Board.
- The responsibilities of the GAVI Board include strategic direction, policy making, programme implementation and overseeing the operations of GAVI.
Topic: International News
6. EU-UK post- Brexit trade deal approved.
- EU-UK post- Brexit trade deal has been approved by ambassadors from 27 European Union (EU) Member States on 28 December 2020.
- EU-UK post- Brexit trade deal will become law on 1st January If UK Parliament approves it today.
- European Parliament will vote on the deal in January. But, the deal can become effective provisionally under EU rules.
- Britain and Turkey have also signed post-Brexit free trade agreement. Currently, the presidency of EU is with Germany.
- European Union:
- It is a political and economic union of 27 member states which are mainly located in Europe.
- It was founded on 1 November 1993. It is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
- European Parliament is a legislative body of the European Union.
- Along with the Council of the European Union, it approves laws proposed by the European Commission.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: New Development
7. BARC developed plaque therapy for eye cancer for the first time.
- The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has developed a new eye cancer therapy in the form of the first indigenous Ruthenium 106 Plaque for the patients suffering from ocular tumours.
- Earlier, the Department of Atomic Energy and Dr.Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) have agreed to use Plaque for Eye Cancer treatment.
- The plaque developed by BARC is as per the international standards and is convenient for surgeons.
- Radioactive elements such as Ruthenium-106 are used in this therapy. This therapy will help in reducing the cost of treatment.
- The plaque used in this treatment can treat about 50 Patients at a time and the shelf life is one year.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC):
- It was established by Homi J. Bhabha in 1954.
- It is a multi-disciplinary research centre.
- Its headquarters is located in Trombay.
- It works under the Department of Atomic Energy.
Topic: Reports and Indices
8. Bureau of Police Research & Development has released data on Police Organizations.
- The latest data on Police Organisations has been released by the Bureau of Police Research & Development.
- Highlights of the report:
- The total sanctioned strength of police force for all states and Union Territories is 26,23,225 and there are 5,31,737 vacancies.
- The women constitute just 10.30 % of the total police strength of the country. The percentage of women has increased by 16.05% from the previous year.
- The sanctioned strength for CAPF is 11,09,511. The women constitute just 2.9 percent of the total strength of CAPF.
- The total number of Police stations is 16995 and 63 Police Commissionerates in the country.
- The sanctioned Police Personnel per lakh of the population is 195.39.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest strength of Police personals and is followed by Maharashtra.
- According to the report, the low strength of women in police creates a serious challenge in dealing with crime against women.
Topic: Reports and Indices
9. As per a report, India has been worst affected by extreme weather events in 2020.
- According to an international report, India has been the worst affected country from extreme weather events in 2020.
- As per the report, 2067 lives were lost due to extreme weather events in India in 2020.
- The flood and Cyclone Amphan are the main factors for the loss of lives and displacement of people.
- Amphan Cyclone had displaced around 4.9 million people in West Bengal. It was the biggest displacement due to the extreme weather event in 2020.
- The Asian continent has been the worst-hit in the World from disasters in 2020.
- According to a study by CANSA, 62 million people will be displaced in South Asia by 2050 due to climate change.
- Super Cyclone Amphan:
- Super Cyclone Amphan had originated in the Bay of Bengal.
- Its name was given by Thailand.
- It was one of the strongest storms in the Bay of Bengal.
- A cyclone is a low-pressure system with very high winds around it.
(Source: Down to Earth)
Topic: Books and Authors
10. Union Minister releases the book “Sutranivednachi sutra- ek anbav".
- Union Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik released a Konkani book, "Sutranivednachi sutra- ek anbav".
- It is written by Dr. Roopa Chari.
- It has been published by Sanjana Publications.
- The book will inspire the young generation to make a career in the field of Compering.
- Dr. Roopa Char is a renowned personality in the field of Compering in Goa.