In the given question, a sentence has been given in Active/ Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active voice.
The manager decided to give her one last chance.
Correct Answer : c ) She was given one last chance as decided by the manager.Explanation :
Solution: The given sentence is in Active voice. Let us first understand the two voices.
- Active Voice: the subject performs the action expressed by the verb.
- Passive Voice: the subject receives the action expressed by the verb.
When converting a sentence from active to passive voice, the following rules are used:
- The places of subject and object are interchanged.
- The third form of the verb, i.e. past participle is always used as main verb in the sentences of passive voice.
- Auxiliary verbs are used in the passive voice as per the tense of the sentence.
- The word "by" is usually introduced before the subject.
In the above sentence, “the manager” is the subject, “give” is the verb, and “her” is the object. The sentence that correctly follows all the above rules of conversion is sentence c.
Hence, (c) is the correct answer.
This question is asked in various competitive exams, including SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC MTS, SBI PO, SBI CLERK, etc. In order to understand how to solve this kind of question, one needs to regularly practice and keep oneself updated. PendulumEdu offers variety of mock tests for you to up your skills to excel in these exams.
IBPS CLERK 2019 Notification Released for 12075 vacancies, Check Exam Dates, Exam Pattern and Other DetailsRead More
IBPS PO 2019: Check IBPS PO Cut off 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 for Prelims, Mains, Final and Reserve ListRead More