Choose the most appropriate option to change the narration (direct / indirect) of the given sentence.
Apurva said to me, "You may create a problem for yourself at the end".
Correct Answer : d ) Apurva told me that I might create a problem for myself at the end.Explanation :
The given sentence is in direct speech, we need to change it to indirect.
In case of indirect speech,
- When Reporting Verb in past Tense and reported speech is having "may" after subject + First form of Verb.
- Reporting verb ‘said to’ changes to ‘told’.
- Then we change "may" to "might" + First form of Verb (need).
- Second person, ‘You’ changes to ‘I’ according to the object, i.e., ‘me’.
- ‘Yourself’ changes to ‘myself’ as per the object ‘me’.
- Commas and inverted commas are omitted and ‘that’ is placed.
The indirect form is – ‘Apurva told me that I might create a problem for myself at the end.’
Hence, (D) is the correct answer.
The Narration type of question of English Language section is being asked in government jobs exams like Banking, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SBI CLERK, various IBPS exams. Attempting this question will help you learn a new grammar concept. PendulumEdu offers a variety of mock tests for you to up your skills in order to excel in these exams.
UPSC Prelims 2021 General Studies Paper 1 and CSAT Question Paper of All Sets and Answer KeyRead More
UPSC Prelims 2021 Answer Key | UPSC 2021 Answer Key Set A, B, C and D and CSAT 2021 Answer KeyRead More
UP Special Current Affairs 2021 | UP Special News for UPPCS from July 2020 - September 2021Read More