Choose the most appropriate option to change the narration (direct / indirect) of the given sentence.
Jackie said that he had been steering the project with great difficulty and under immense pressure.
Correct Answer : c ) Jackie said, "I was steering the project with great difficulty and under immense pressure."Explanation :
The given sentence is in indirect speech; we need to change it to direct.
In direct speech,
- Past perfect (had been steering) changes to Simple Past tense (was steering)
- Reporting verb remains the same i.e., said.
- Third person pronoun (he) changes to ‘I’ as per the subject i.e., ‘Jackie’.
- Commas and inverted commas replace ‘that’.
- Complement part (with great difficulty and under immense pressure) takes no change.
The direct form is- Jackie said, "I was steering the project with great difficulty and under immense pressure."
Hence, (C) is the correct answer.
The Narration type of question of English Language section is being asked in government jobs exams like Banking, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SBI CLERK, various IBPS exams. Attempting this question will help you learn a new grammar concept. PendulumEdu offers a variety of mock tests for you to up your skills in order to excel in these exams.