Choose the most appropriate option to change the narration (direct / indirect) of the given sentence.
Ritika said, “Will you entertain the idea of protesting against the minister?”
Correct Answer : a ) Ritika asked if he would entertain the idea of protesting against the minister.Explanation :
The given sentence is in direct speech; we need to change it to indirect.
- In case of interrogative sentences yes/no answer type, commas and inverted commas are replaced with if/whether.
- Reporting verb (said to) is changed to asked/enquired.
- Also, to change the interrogative to assertive/simple sentence,
- Subject (he) + Verb (would) format is used in indirect speech
- When object is missing, then ‘second person pronoun’ in reported speech (you) is changed to I/We/he/she/they etc. (i.e. first or third person)
- So, ‘you’ changes to ‘he’ as per ‘Ritika’.
- ‘Will’ changes to ‘would’.
- Complement part (the idea of protesting against the minister) takes no change.
The indirect form is – ‘Ritika asked if he would entertain the idea of protesting against the minister.’
Hence, (a) is the correct answer.