- 1. Tsitsi Dangarembga wins PEN Pinter Prize 2021.
- 2. Union Cabinet approved hike in MSP for Kharif crops for 2021-22.
- 3. All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2019-20 report released by Union Education Minister.
- 4. PM Modi to participate in the Outreach Sessions of the G7 Summit.
- 5. Renowned Filmmaker and Poet Buddhadeb Dasgupta passed away.
- 6. Union Health Minister addresses first meeting of WHO high-level coalition on health and energy.
- 7. India’s export of agricultural and allied products increased by 17.34% in 2020-21.
- 8. India Can Save Logistics Fuel worth ₹311 Lakh Crore between 2020 and 2050.
- 9. A new plant species of coffee has been found in Kerala.
- 10. 124th Birth anniversary of Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil: 11 June
- 11. Reappointment of Chandra Shekhar Ghosh as MD and CEO of Bandhan Bank approved by RBI.
- 12. First Arab-India Energy Forum held during 8-9 June 2021.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: Awards and Prizes
1. Tsitsi Dangarembga wins PEN Pinter Prize 2021.
- Zimbabwean writer Tsitsi Dangarembga has won the PEN Pinter Prize 2021.
- Earlier, she was awarded the 2021 PEN Freedom of Expression Award for her activist work.
- The Book of Not, Nervous Conditions and This Mournable Body are some famous literary works of Tsitsi Dangarembga.
- She was shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize for her book, This Mournable Body.
- PEN Pinter Prize:
- It was established in 2009.
- It is given in the memory of Nobel Laureate Harold Pinter.
- It is an annual award given for outstanding literary work written in English.
2. Union Cabinet approved hike in MSP for Kharif crops for 2021-22.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the hike in the Minimum Support Prices (MSPs) for Kharif crops for 2021-22.
- The MSP of paddy has been increased from Rs 1,868 per quintal to Rs 1,940 per quintal in 2021-22.
- The MSP of Bajra has been increased to Rs 2,250 per quintal for 2021-22 from Rs 2,150 per quintal.
- The MSP of groundnut and nigerseed has been increased by Rs 275 per quintal and Rs 235 per quintal respectively.
- The highest increase in MSP has been approved for sesamum (Rs 452 per quintal).
- Among all crops, the lowest increase in MSP has been approved for maize.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP):
- Minimum Support Price is the price at which the government procures the crops produced by the farmers.
- The Minimum Support Price is announced by the Government of India on the recommendations of the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP).
Topic: Reports and Indices
3. All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2019-20 report released by Union Education Minister.
- All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2019-20 report has been released by Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
- As per AISHE in the last five years (2015-16 to 2019-20), student enrolment has grown by 11.4%.
- As per AISHE, female enrolment in Higher Education has increased by 18.2% from 2015-16 to 2019-20.
- AISHE 2019-20 is the 10th in the series of All India Survey on Higher Education. Department of Higher Education releases it annually.
- Key features of AISHE 2019-20 are given below:
- Total Enrolment in Higher Education: It stands at 3.85 crores in 2019-20.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER): It is defined as the percentage of students belonging to the eligible age group enrolled in Higher Education. It is 27.1% in 2019-20.
- Gender Parity Index (GPI) in Higher Education: It stands at 1.01 in 2019-20. It shows improvement in the relative access to higher education for females of eligible age group compared to males.
- Pupil Teacher Ratio in Higher Education: It is 26 in 2019-20.
- The number of students pursuing PhD is 2.03 lakh in 2019-20.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
4. PM Modi to participate in the Outreach Sessions of the G7 Summit.
- PM Modi will participate in the Outreach Sessions of the G7 Summit on 12 and 13 June in virtual format.
- UK has invited India, Australia, Republic of Korea and South Africa, as Guest Countries for the G7 Summit.
- The theme for G7 summit is ‘Build Back Better’. UK currently holds the Presidency of the G7.
- This is the second time PM will be taking part in a G7 meeting. In 2019, India was invited by the G7 French Presidency to Biarritz Summit as a "Goodwill Partner”.
- PM had taken part in Sessions on ‘Climate, Biodiversity and Oceans’ and ‘Digital Transformation’.
- G-7 Group:
- It is an intergovernmental organization that was founded in 1975.
- Its members include France, Italy, Canada, Japan, Germany, USA and UK.
Topic: Personality in News
5. Renowned Filmmaker and Poet Buddhadeb Dasgupta passed away.
- Renowned Bengali filmmaker Buddhadeb Dasgupta has passed away at the age of 77. He has also written many poems.
- He has directed many famous films like Uttara, Bagh Bahadur, Tahader Katha, and Charachar.
- He has received the National Film Award in several categories including best film, best direction, best screenplay, and best feature film in Bengali for his remarkable work.
- He also received international awards at the Venice Film Festival, Asia Pacific Film Festival, and Bangkok International Film Festival.
- Coffin Kimba Suitcase, Govir Araley, Chhaata Kahini, Himjog, Roboter Gaan, and Sreshtha Kabita are some of best poems of Buddhadeb Dasgupta.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
6. Union Health Minister addresses first meeting of WHO high-level coalition on health and energy.
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan addressed the first meeting of the World Health Organization’s high level coalition on Health and Energy.
- It was attended by representatives of the World Bank, United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Human Rights Council, and International Renewable Energy Agency.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan in his address said that various sectors are involved in efforts to manage the Covid-19 pandemic. There is a need to ensure inter-connectedness across sectors for effective and sustainable delivery of service.
- India has constituted National Action Plan on Climate Change and Human Health to spread awareness about the impact of climate change on human health.
- In 2017, India had signed Male Declaration to promote climate-resilient healthcare facilities.
- High Level Coalition on Health and Energy: The main objective of this Coalition is to strengthen cooperation in health and energy sectors, increase political momentum, and spur investments.
7. India’s export of agricultural and allied products increased by 17.34% in 2020-21.
- India's agriculture and allied products exports have increased by 17.34% to USD 41.25 billion in 2020-21. The export is likely to be also increased in FY 2021-22.
- In 2020-21, the US, China, Bangladesh, UAE, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Nepal, Iran, and Malaysia were the main market for India’s agricultural products.
- India has exported various agricultural products including vegetables and mangoes from Varanasi, and black Rice from Chandauli.
- Agriculture Exports have increased this year after remaining stagnant for the past three years. Many states like Maharashtra, Kerala, Nagaland, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Punjab, and Karnataka have implemented their Agriculture export policy.
- The Department of Commerce and Department of Agriculture have taken several steps to increase the market access of Indian products.
- In its efforts to increase the export of basmati rice, the government has mandated the investigation of the Export Inspection Council (EIC).
Topic: Report and Indices
8. India Can Save Logistics Fuel worth ₹311 Lakh Crore between 2020 and 2050.
- According to the report of NITI Aayog and Rocky Mountain Institute, India has the potential to reduce logistics costs by 4% of GDP by 2030.
- According to the report titled “Fast Tracking Freight in India: A Roadmap for Clean and Cost-Effective Goods Transport”, India can save ₹3.11 trillion worth of fuel till 2050 by using clean energy for transportation.
- According to the report, India has the potential to reduce 10 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide emissions by 2030.
- India’s freight activity will grow by five-fold times by 2050. India is working towards its electric vehicles (EV) programme for developing an efficient transport system.
- The report has also thrown light on solutions related to policy, technology, market, business models, and infrastructure development in the transport sector.
- It has also recommended increasing the rail network’s capacity, promoting intermodal transport, and improving warehousing and trucking practices.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
9. A new plant species of coffee has been found in Kerala.
- A new plant species of coffee has been found in the Wagamon hills of Kerala. It has been named Argostemma quarantena.
- It was discovered by a research team consisting of Anoop P. Balan, N. Sasidharan, and A.J. Robi. Their findings were published in the latest edition of Webbia journal of plant taxonomy and geography.
- Argostemma quarantena grows to a height of 3-7 cm and it is a herb. It is generally found in the shaded region of evergreen forests.
- It is very sensitive to microclimatic changes and it has been listed in the Data Deficient (DD) category of IUCN.
- Argostemma quarantena is the fifth species discovered from the Wagamon region.
- India is the world's sixth-largest producer of coffee. It is mainly produced by Karnataka and Kerala.
Topic: Important Days
10. 124th Birth anniversary of Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil: 11 June
- Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil was born on 11 June 1897. Ministry of Culture is holding a special ceremony at his birthplace Shahjahanpur as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The special Ceremony has been organized on 11 June 2021 to mark the 124th birth anniversary of Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil.
- The special event has been organized by North Central Zone Cultural Centre (NCZCC) Ministry of Culture at Shaheed Udayan Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- NCZCC is one of the seven zonal cultural centres in India.
- Pt. Ram Prasad Bismil:
- He was an Indian revolutionary who fought against British colonialism.
- He formed the Hindustan Republican Association with leaders like Bhagat Singh and Chandrasekhar Azad.
- He took part in the Mainpuri conspiracy of 1918, and the Kakori conspiracy of 1925 with Ashfaq Ullah Khan and Roshan Singh.
- He was hanged at Gorakhpur Jail on 19th December 1927 for his role in the Kakori conspiracy.
- He wrote patriotic poems in Urdu and Hindi under the pen name of Bismil. While in jail, he wrote ‘Mera Rang De Basanti Chola’ and ‘Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna’.
(Source: MIB India)
11. Reappointment of Chandra Shekhar Ghosh as MD and CEO of Bandhan Bank approved by RBI.
- Reappointment of Chandra Shekhar Ghosh as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Bandhan Bank has been approved by RBI.
- His reappointment has been approved for a period of three years, with effect from 10 July 2021.
- His reappointment is subject to the approval of shareholders at an annual general meeting of the Bank.
- Bandhan Bank is a Kolkata-based Indian banking and financial services company. Dr. Anup Kumar Sinha is its current chairman. Chandra Shekhar Ghosh is its MD and CEO.
- It began as a not-for-profit enterprise in 2001 and changed into NBFC later.
- In 2015, RBI gave a universal banking license to Bandhan Bank and it started operation in 2015.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
12. First Arab-India Energy Forum held during 8-9 June 2021.
- First edition of Arab-India Energy Forum held in the virtual format during June 8- June 9, 2021, under co-chairship of India and Morocco.
- The event ended after the discussion on increasing two-way energy cooperation and intra-regional power trading.
- The event was an implementation of the Executive Programme of Arab-India Cooperation Forum (AICF).
- The panelists for the event were from different institutions from India and League of Arab States (LAS) and from key regional organizations such as Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) and Arab Atomic Energy Agency (AAEA).
- The participants at First Arab-India Energy Forum (AIEF) agreed to convene the second edition of AIEF in India during the year 2023.
- India is the world’s third largest consumer of oil after US and China.
- Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC):
- It is headquartered in Kuwait. It carries out work of coordinating energy policies among oil-producing Arab nations.
- It has 11 members as of December 2020. Out of 11 members, six are also members of Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
- League of Arab States (LAS):
- It is also known as Arab League. It is a regional organization.
- It was founded in 1945.
- It is headquartered in Cairo, Egypt. It has 22 member states.