Ganesh Chaturthi OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code GANESHA
1. Increase in approval rating of Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi
- Recently the figures from 1 January to 14 April have been released by the international polling agency Morning Consult.
- According to these figures, the approval rating of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has increased from 62% to 68% between January 1 and April 14.
- The main reason for this increase is the decisions taken by Mr. Modi during the period of COVID-19 outbreak in India.
- During this period, the Prime Minister first did a 21-day nationwide lockdown till 14 April, which was later extended to 3 May.
- During this time, Mr. Modi's popularity has been better than that of global leaders such as UK PM Boris Johnson, US President Donald Trump, Canadian PM Justin Trudeau, German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Morning Consult:
- Morning Consult is a global, private technology and media company.
- It was also named one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America by Deloitte.
- It was founded in 2013.
2. Union Cabinet gave its approval to bring an ordinance to amend the Epidemic Disaster Act, 1897
- Recently the Union Cabinet has given approval to bring an ordinance to amend the Epidemic Disasters Act, 1897 due to the situation arising out of COVID-19.
- Accordingly, violent action with health workers has now been made a cognizable and non-bailable offense.
- There is a provision for compensation for injury or damage to health care workers or damage to property.
- Also, the investigation into the case of an attack on health workers will be completed within 30 days and justice will be done within maximum one year.
- Apart from this, a fine of double the value of the damaged property will be charged from the culprits who damage the vehicles or clinics of the health workers.
- The ordinance is brought on any urgent matter when Parliament or State Legislatures are not in session.
- The Constitution of India empowers the President to bring ordinance through Article 123 and the Governor under Article 213.
3. India gifted over 23 tonnes of medicines to Nepal
- Recently India has gifted more than 23 tonnes of medicines to Nepal to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The gift includes 8 lakh 25 thousand doses of essential medicines including paracetamol and hydroxychloroquine.
- This gift will play an important role in promoting bilateral cooperation between India and Nepal.
- Nepal is a landlocked country, surrounded by India on three sides and open on one side towards Tibet.
- The capital of Nepal is Kathmandu and the currency is Nepalese Rupiah.
- Nepal shares a border with the Indian states - Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Sikkim and Bihar.
4. Launch of National Program VidyaDaan 2.0
- Recently Human Resource and Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched the national program VidyaDaan 2.0 in New Delhi.
- This program is an initiative to invite e-learning content contribution.
- The program has been launched in the wake of COVID-19 and increasing need for eLearning material for students in both school and higher education.
- VidyaDaan is a common national program to make e-learning content and to be nationally recognized.
- This learning material will be used on the DIKSHA app.
- This DIKSHA app has been working with more than 30 states and union territories since 2017.
5. CCEA approved the determination of NBS rates on phosphatic and potassic fertilizers
- Recently the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for fixation of Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) rates on phosphatic and potassic fertilizers for the year 2020-21.
- Subsidy has been fixed at 18 rupees 78 paise per kg for nitrogen, 14 rupees 88 paise for phosphorus, 10 rupees 11 paise for potash and 2 rupees 37 paise per kg for sulphur.
- This subsidy on phosphorus and potassium will be made available directly to fertilizer companies.
- The committee has also approved the introduction of complex fertilizers like ammonium phosphate under the subsidy scheme.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs is headed by the Prime Minister.
6. Iran successfully launched its first military satellite ‘Noor’
- Despite ongoing tension with US, Iran has successfully launched its first military satellite Noor.
- Satellite Noor has been successfully placed in an orbit 425 km from Earth.
- The satellite was launched on 22 April 2020 on the occasion of the Foundation Day of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
- It is a country in Western Asia.
- Its capital is Tehran and the currency is the Iranian Riyal.
7. There is a possibility of 20% reduction in remittances from migrants worldwide this year
- A recently released World Bank report states that there is a 20% reduction in receipts from migrants worldwide this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- According to the World Bank, the remittance received from migrants in 2019 was $554 billion, which is expected to be $445 billion this year.
- Due to lockdown and global recession and unemployment due to COVID-19 epidemic, people are unable to send money to their families.
- This would be the biggest decline in recent history.
- Due to this epidemic, developing countries are facing losses in their main sources of revenue.
- World Bank:
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to governments in poor countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects.
- It is headquartered in Washington DC, United States.
- It was founded in 1944.
8. G20 Agriculture Ministers decision to ensure global food security and nutritional security
- Recently the G20 Agriculture Ministers have decided to ensure global food security and nutritional security.
- These ministers took this decision in a video conferencing meeting organized by the Saudi Presidency.
- On behalf of India, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar attended the meeting of G20 Agriculture Ministers. Mr. Tomar welcomed the initiative taken by Saudi Arabia to bring the G20 countries together.
- Currently Saudi Arabia is the chairman of the G20 group.
- G-20 is an international forum of 19 countries and governments of the European Union and the Governors of the Central Bank.
- It was founded in September 1999.
9. Uttar Pradesh government declared 10 districts of the state as corona free
- Recently Uttar Pradesh government has declared 10 districts of the state as corona free.
- These districts include Pilibhit, Lakhimpur Kheri, Hathras, Bareilly, Prayagraj, Maharajganj, Shahjahanpur, Barabanki, Hardoi and Kaushambi.
- Meanwhile the total corona patients in the state has increased to 1,449 with 112 new corona positive cases in the last 24 hours.
- It is known that Uttar Pradesh has a total of 75 districts.
- Uttar Pradesh:
- Uttar Pradesh is a state of North India. It is the most populous state in India.
- It was created during the British rule on 1 April 1937 as a joint province of Agra and Awadh and was renamed Uttar Pradesh in 1950.
- The Chief Minister of the state is Yogi Adityanath and Governor Anandiben Patel.
- The capital of Uttar Pradesh is Lucknow.
- The state animal of Uttar Pradesh is Swamp Deer, State Bird Saras Crane, State Tree Ashoka and State Flower Brahma Kamal.
10. Israel's first fully digital bank will be launched by TCS
- Tata Consultancy Services will launch Israel's first fully digital bank.
- TCS is India's largest software services firm.
- It has not yet been named, but is the first to receive a banking license in Israel in more than 40 years.
- This digital bank will be launched in 2021.
- It will operate as an online financial superstore, through which services such as insurance and credit cards will be provided to Israeli citizens.
- It is a Middle Eastern country located on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Its capital is Jerusalem and the currency is the Israeli shekel.
11. Facebook invested $ 5.7 billion in Reliance Jio
- Facebook has invested $ 5.7 billion in Reliance Jio amid the recent coronavirus global epidemic.
- After this deal, Jio has now become 9.9% shares in the name of Facebook in exchange for investment of $ 5.7 billion (Rs 43,574 crore).
- After this big deal, Facebook has now become the largest shareholder company of Jio.
- After this investment by Facebook, the interaction value of Jio Platforms has increased to 4.62 lakh crore.
- The partnership of both companies will create many employment opportunities and will also increase business.
- This is the largest ever investment under FDI in the technology sector in India.
- FDI - An investment made in a country by an entity located in another country as a controlling ownership in a business. FDI differs from foreign portfolio investment.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister of which country?
2. Recently Union Cabinet has given approval to bring an ordinance for amendment in which year Epidemic Disaster Act?
3. Which of the following states borders Nepal?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. West Bengal
D. All of the above
4. In which year was the DIKSHA app launched?
5. Recently which country has successfully launched its first military satellite Noor?
6. According to the World Bank, how much is the reduction in remittance expected this year?
7. Which country is currently the chairman of the G20 group?
B. Saudi Arabia
8. Which is the state flower of Uttar Pradesh?
C. Brahma Kamal
9. Which country's first fully digital bank will be launched by TCS in 2021?
10. How many percent shares of Jio has Facebook recently purchased?