Daily Current Affairs and GK | 24 April 2020
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. Inauguration of India's first mobile virology diagnostics and research laboratory
- Recently India's first mobile virology diagnostics and research laboratory was inaugurated in Hyderabad.
- It is unique and the first of its kind in the country.
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated it through video conference.
- DRDO has developed this laboratory within just two weeks.
- Up to 1,000 samples for coronavirus can be tested daily in this laboratory.
- It is estimated to increase its testing capacity to 2,000 in the future.
- The laboratory also has facilities for research and testing of drugs regarding corona infection.
- This laboratory can be easily transported anywhere in the country.
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO):
- An agency of the Government of India, it deals with the research and development work of the Army in India.
- G. Sateesh Reddy is the current chairman of this organization.
- It was founded in 1958.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
2. Permission of construction activities in energy projects outside municipal corporation and municipality
- Recently the Ministry of Power has allowed states and union territories to undertake construction activities in energy projects outside the municipal corporation and municipality areas during the lockdown.
- These activities can be started by adopting all the necessary health-related measures.
- According to this permission, it is mandatory to follow these safeguards for construction activities in thermal and hydropower projects outside the boundaries of urban and local bodies.
- Permission has been sought from the government for the movement of construction materials, equipment, and spare parts to the state and interstate for construction work in these energy projects.
- It is known that municipalities were granted constitutional status by adding Part IXA in 1993 by the 74th Constitutional Amendment.
3. Annual World Immunization Week organized by the World Health Organization
- The World Health Organization will organize the annual World Immunization Week in the last week of April (24-30 April).
- The UAE will participate in this annual World Immunization Week and is launching free National Immunization program.
- World Immunization Week is observed annually to immunize approximately 20 million children worldwide who are completely or partially deprived of vaccination.
- This year the UAE is playing a major proponent of global efforts aimed at combating diseases such as guinea worms, polio and malaria.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE):
- At the northeast end of the Arabian Peninsula, it is a country in western Asia.
- Its capital is Abu Dhabi and the currency is United Arab Emirates Dirham.
4. China will provide an additional US$ 30 million grant to the World Health Organization
- Recently China has announced that it will grant the additional US $ 30 million to the World Health Organization.
- This would be in addition to the grant of US $ 20 million previously provided by China to the WHO.
- In the past, US President Donald Trump banned the funding of the WHO due to the suspected role of the World Health Organization in the COVID-19 crisis.
- China is a country in East Asia and the most populous country in the world. It is the fourth-largest country in the world in terms of area.
- Its capital is Beijing and the currency is Renminbi.
- World Health Organization (WHO):
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It was established on 7 April 1948.
- Its current president is Dr. Tedros Adnom Ghebreyes.
5. Tripura State declared COVID-19 free
- Recently Tripura has been declared free of pandemic COVID-19.
- Trial of the state's second COVID-19 patient sample in Tripura has come negative for the third time in a row.
- With this, Tripura has become the second corona-free state in the Northeast region.
- Earlier, Manipur was declared corona free.
- Tripura is a hilly state in northeastern India, surrounded by Bangladesh on 3 sides.
- Its capital is Agartala.
- The Governor of Tripura is Ramesh Bais and Chief Minister is Biplab Kumar Deb.
- The state animal of Tripura is the langur of Fayre.
- The state flower is Nageshwar and the state bird is the green royal pigeon.
6. 24 April: National Panchayati Raj Day
- National Panchayati Raj Day is observed every year on 24 April.
- Part IX of the Constitution was established on 24 April 1993 by the 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act and Panchayati Raj was given constitutional status.
- This is an important day in the history of the decentralization of power in India.
- Although the Panchayat Raj system was first adopted on 2 October 1959 in Nagaur district of Rajasthan, it was first introduced by Andhra Pradesh.
7. 265 million people in the world will face food crisis in 2020 due to COVID-19
- Recently, the World Food Program and 15 other humanitarian and development partners have released a global report on food crises produced.
- According to this report, 265 million people in the world will face the food crisis in 2020 as a result of the adverse economic impact caused by COVID-19.
- The number was 130 to 135 million in 2019, which has been almost doubled by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- World Food Program (WFP):
- It is the food aid arm of the United Nations and the largest humanitarian organization in the world that promotes food security.
- It was established in 1961.
- Its headquarters are located in Rome, Italy.
- David Beasali is the chief of WFP.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Recently which organization has developed India's first mobile virology diagnostics and research laboratory?
2. Which Part was added to the Constitution of India by the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act?
A. Part X
B. Part IXA
C. Part XV
D. Part XX
3. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which of the following country?
C. United Arab Emirates
4. Recently which country has announced an additional US $ 30 million grant to the World Health Organization?
5. Which state of Northeast India is declared corona free?
C. Both A and B
6. On which day is National Panchayati Raj Day celebrated every year?
A. 21 April
B. 22 April
C. 24 April
D. 30 April
7. Where is the headquarters of the World Food Program located?
B. New York
D. New Delhi