Daily Current Affairs and GK | 12 and 13 April 2020
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. Ministry of Human Resource Development launched web portal 'Yukti'
- Recently the Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched a web portal ‘Yukti’ in New Delhi.
- The portal has been launched by Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- The portal stands for ‘Youth India Combining Covid with Knowledge Technology and Innovation’.
- Through this, the efforts and initiatives of the Ministry of Human Resource Development can be monitored.
- It aims to deal with the various challenges of COVID-19 with totality and comprehensiveness.
- It also aims to keep the academic community physically and mentally healthy and maintain a quality environment for education during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The portal will also establish a two-way communication channel between the Ministry of Human Resource Development and various institutions to provide the necessary support system to the institutions.
- Apart from this, this portal will help students in promotion issues, placement related challenges and important issues related to their physical and mental well-being, etc. during this challenging time.
2. Another ceasefire violation by Pakistan on the Line of Control
- Recently, Pakistan Army has violated ceasefire along the Line of Control (LOC) in Balakot and Mendhar sector of Poonch district for the second consecutive day.
- This is the third time a ceasefire violation has been committed by the Pak Army targeting civilians.
- But at the moment there is no loss of life or property.
- Four Indian states and union territories share their borders with Pakistan. Jammu and Kashmir has the longest border with Pakistan, with a length of 1222 km, followed by Rajasthan at 1179 km, Gujarat with 506 km, while Punjab has 425 km.
- Line of Control (LOC):
- The Line of Control is a military control line between the Indian and Pakistan-controlled parts of the former princely state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- This is known as the ceasefire line, which was remodeled as the Line of Control after the Shimla Agreement, signed on 3 July 1972.
- This line is not legally recognized as an international border, but it serves as the de facto border.
3. Khadi and Village Industries Commission developed double-layered Khadi mask
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has developed a dual-layered Khadi mask to fight against coronavirus.
- Also, orders have been received to supply it in large quantities.
- Double twisted Khadi fabric is being used to manufacture these masks.
- This mask is helpful in retaining 70 percent of the moisture inside, providing an easy passage for breathing.
- These masks are special as they are made from hand woven Khadi fabric and can be reused.
- Also, these masks are washable, and biodegradable.
- The Khadi Stitching center at Nagrotta near Jammu has been converted into a mask sewing center with 10,000 masks being produced daily.
- Not only this, mask production in this way will further increase livelihood opportunities for Khadi artisans.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC):
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission is a statutory body established in 1956 by the Government of India.
- Its headquarters is located in Mumbai.
- Vinay Kumar Saxena is its current chairman.
4. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana beneficiaries given Rs. 5,606 crore
- Recently, under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package, Rs. 5,606 crore has been transferred to the accounts of 7 crore 15 lakh beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, so that they can take LPG cylinders of free.
- There are 27.87 million active consumers of LPG in the country. Of these, over 8 crore are beneficiaries of the Ujjwala scheme.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- The scheme was launched on May 1, 2016 in Ballia district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Under this scheme, free new LPG connection is provided to poor families.
- The scheme is being implemented in collaboration with the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
5. A number of awareness campaigns are being conducted by IFFCO to stop the spread of COVID-19
- Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Ltd. (IFFCO) has organized more than sixty camps under ‘Break the CORONA chain’ social awareness campaign to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- It is the world's leading cooperative organization striving in this direction.
- Work is underway at all IFFCO factories during the lockdown.
- Also, IFFCO has distributed more than 3.5 lakh vitamin C tablets, 50,000 medicated soap, 20,000 masks, 5,000 sanitizers and other medical kits across the country.
- Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Ltd (IFFCO):
- It is a multi-state cooperative society engaged in the business of manufacturing and marketing of fertilizers.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
- It was founded on 3 November 1967.
6. Launch of a new initiative called 'Food Bank' in Manipur
- Recently a new initiative called 'Food Bank' has been started in Manipur.
- This initiative has been initiated by Imphal East District Administration.
- It aims to provide immediate assistance in the form of free food to the poor and the needy facing shortage of essential commodities due to lockdown.
- The distribution of food items, hand sanitizers and face masks to HIV infected people and those residing in the Drug Rehabilitation Centers.
- Manipur is a state in northeast India.
- Its capital is Imphal.
- It borders Nagaland in the north, Mizoram in the south and Assam in the west and Myanmar in the east.
- The Governor of Manipur is Najma Heptulla and Chief Minister N. Biren Singh.
- The state animal of Manipur is the Sangai deer.
- The state flower is Shirui Lily and the state bird Hume Peasant.
7. TRIFED asked state nodal departments to procure Minor Forest Produce
- Recently the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) has asked state nodal departments and implementing agencies to procure minor forest produce from the available funds at the minimum support price.
- In collaboration with UNICEF, TRIFED is organizing webinar sessions for members of the Van Dhan Self Help Groups of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras.
- It aims to create awareness among the tribal people for measures of social balance and maintain the sanitation necessary to carry out their tasks.
- Minimum Support Price is an agricultural produce price set by the Government of India to be purchased directly from the farmer.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED):
- It is a national level organization that was established in 1987.
- TRIFED works under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Its head office is located in New Delhi. Also, 13 regional offices are located at various places in the country.
8. Mild Earthquake tremors in the National Capital Region
- Mild Earthquake tremors have been felt in the Delhi-National Capital Region recently.
- Earthquake intensity on the Richter scale has been measured at 3.5.
- The epicenter of the earthquake was on the Delhi-Uttar Pradesh border.
- There has been no loss of any property due to the earthquake.
- Earthquake is the shaking of the Earth's surface that results from the creation of seismic waves due to the sudden energy generated in the Earth's lithosphere.
- Its magnitude is measured on the Richter scale.
9. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre: 13 April 1919
- April 13 is remembered every year as Jallianwala Bagh Massacre Day.
- On this day in 1919, the unarmed Indian public was killed in Jallianwala Bagh, located in Amritsar.
- On 9 April 1919, Indians raged by the arrest of two nationalist leaders, Saifuddin Kichlu and Dr. Satyapal, protested on 10 April 1919 to show solidarity with their leaders.
- The protests soon turned violent, killing some protesters. The government enforced martial law to prevent any such protests in the future.
- On the day of Baisakhi on 13 April 1919, a large crowd of people unaware of martial law gathered in Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar.
- Brigadier General Dyer, arriving at the scene with his men, surrounded the assembly and blocked the only gate to go out and opened fire on the unarmed mob. More than 1000 unarmed men, women and children were killed.
- The Hunter Commission was later set up by the government to investigate the massacre.
10. Bihar Education Project Council has launched Unnayan Mobile App
- Recently Bihar State Education Department has launched a mobile application 'Unnayan- Mera Mobile Mera Vidyalaya' for students from class VI to XII in government schools.
- The app has been jointly developed by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the Government of Bihar and a social learning platform, Eckovation.
- A slot has been booked with All India Radio for audio broadcast of study material for government school students during lockdown.
- Students will be able to avail this facility through a basic mobile phone or smartphone.
- However, according to an independent research conducted by the London School of Economics, a huge digital divide and socio-economic disparities in the state may hamper the implementation of the scheme.
- It is an agency of the United Nations working to provide humanitarian and developmental support to children worldwide.
- It was established on 11 December 1946.
- Its headquarters is located in New York, United States.
11. Ganjam district administration of Odisha banned Meru Jatra festival in temples
- Recently, Ganjam district administration of Odisha has banned the Meru Jatra festival in temples on the occasion of Mahavishub Sankranti due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The festival is observed to mark the end of a 21-day celebration of austerities called “Danda Nata”.
- Mahavishub Sankranti Odia marks the beginning of the New Year. On this day, thousands of devotees gather at the Tara Tarini hill temple and other temples.
- Only one priest is allowed to enter each temple to perform the ritual.
- Strict legal action will be taken against individuals who break the lockdown rules and restrictions imposed on Meru Jatra.
- Danda Nata:
- Danda Nata or Danda Jatra is one of the most important traditional dance festivals held in South Odisha Ganjam district.
- This festival is organized every year in the month of Chaitra.
12. There will be zero shadow of an object on 14 April 2020
- On April 14, 2020, there will be zero shadow of an object on Earth, that is, there will be no shadow of it.
- On this day, the sun will be absolutely overhead at any place.
- This occurs twice a year between latitudes of 23.5° in both hemispheres.
- On this day, a vertical pole in a place will not cast any shadow.
- This incident can be easily experienced at 12:25 pm on April 14 in Kochi and nearby places and in other parts of Kerala.
13. A low-cost disinfectant walkway made by CMERI
- Recently the Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur, has developed low-cost disinfectant walkways.
- CMERI is a laboratory of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- The institute has designed two variants of the walkway, the Pneumatic Variant Disinfection Walkway and the Hydraulic Variant Disinfection Walkway.
- It is less expensive and can be installed easily.
- The walkway uses mist type sprays. The particle size of the spray is as small as 100 to 200 microns.
- These disinfectant walkways have a base liquid sodium hypochlorite mixed with soap and ethanol. In some cases, if people are allergic to chlorine, the liquid can be replaced with iodine-based solution.
- A person going through this walkway can become disinfected in 20 to 30 seconds.
- These techniques can be used to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- The average cost of the walkway is Rs 1.5 lakh.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Recently a web portal device ‘Yukti’ has been launched by which ministry?
A. Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
B. Ministry of Human Resource Development
C. Ministry of Railways
D. Ministry of Defence
2. Which of the following does not form a border with Pakistan?
D. Himachal Pradesh
3. Prime Minister Ujjwala Yojana was launched on 1 May 2016 from which state?
A. Madhya Pradesh
B. Uttar Pradesh
4. Where is the headquarters of Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Association located?
D. New Delhi
5. A new initiative called 'Food Bank' has been started in which state?
6. What does the Richter scale measure?
B. Earthquake magnitude
C. Air pressure
D. Blood pressure
7. Which commission was constituted to investigate the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?
A. Butler Commission
B. Hunter Commission
C. Cripps Commission
D. Minto Commission
8. Unnayan mobile app launched in the state of Bihar has been developed with the help of
A. World Bank
D. Asian Development Bank
9. In which state is Meru Jatra festival celebrated?
10. On what day will the sun shine brightly above the earth and no shadow of anything will form?
A. 15 April
B. 18 April
C. 17 April
D. 14 April
11. Low cost disinfectant walkway has been developed by which organization?
12. Where is the headquarters of Khadi and Village Industries Commission located?