Daily Current Affairs and GK | 22 April 2020
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. Launch of mutual dialogue platform called COVID INDIA SEVA
- Recently, a dialogue platform called COVID INDIA SEVA was launched by Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- On this forum, people can post their questions and get answers from the trained expert team immediately.
- Answers given by experts will be available to all. Therefore, people are forbidden to post personal information in it.
- The service aims to enable large-scale transparent e-governance delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. TIFAC plans for a revival of the Indian economy after COVID-19
- Recently the Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council has formulated a strategic white paper plan for the revival of the Indian economy after COVID-19.
- The main focus of this scheme is on three things -
- Strengthening the Make in India initiative.
- Commercialization of indigenous technology.
- Develop technology-driven transparent public distribution system, among others.
- The main goal of the scheme is to revive the Indian economy and reduce its impact on COVID-19.
- The Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) is an autonomous technology think tank under the Department of Science and Technology, in 1988 to support innovation by network actions in select areas of national importance, to advance in the technology sector.
3. Technology Development Board approved the financial support to MyLab Discovery Solutions of Pune
- Recently the Technology Development Board (TDB) of the Department of Science and Technology has approved funding to MyLab Discovery Solutions of Pune with an aim to increase production of kits for screening of COVID-19 infection.
- It is the first Indian company to develop a PCR based test kit.
- This kit has been approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research and CDSCO.
- Technology Development Board:
- It is a statutory body established by the Technology Development Board Act, 1995.
- It aims to promote the development and commercialization of indigenous technology and to optimize imported technology for wider application.
4. Mobile application ‘Saiyam’ developed by Pune Municipal Corporation
- Recently mobile app ‘Saiyam’ has been developed by Pune Municipal Corporation under the Smart Cities Mission.
- This app is designed to effectively track citizens living in homes.
- The Home Quarantine have to download the mobile application. The mobile app has GPS tracking, so that whenever the citizens move out of their homes, the City Administration will get to know and it will notify the local ward or local police station.
- The city administration has appointed teams to monitor those who returned from international visits under Home Quarantine on a daily basis.
5. SIMFED launches mobile ration van
- Recently Sikkim State Cooperative Supply and Marketing Federation Limited (SIMFED) launched a mobile ration van in Gangtok for doorstep delivery of essential commodities and food items.
- The van was launched by Sikkim Agriculture Minister Lok Nath Sharma.
- The van will distribute essential commodities like rice, mustard oil, lentils, flour, sugar, salt with a cashless facility at reasonable rates.
- Sikkim is a state in northeast India, bordering Bhutan, Tibet and Nepal.
- Its capital is Gangtok.
- The state's chief minister is Prem Singh Tamang and the governor is Ganga Prasad.
- The state animal of Sikkim is the Red Panda, the State Bird Blood Pheasant, the State Tree Rhododendron and the State Flower Noble Orchid.
6. Indian-American Sudarshanam Babu appointed to US top science board
- Recently, Indian-American Sudarshanam Babu has been appointed as a member of the US Science Board.
- His term will be 6 years.
- At the time of Sudarshanam Babu's appointment, he was working in the prestigious Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Babu is the third Indian-American on this prestigious board.
- Prior to this, Sethuraman Panchanathan from Arizona State University and Suresh V Garimala from University of Vermont have been part of this board.
7. Spain's traditional bull running canceled due to COVID-19
- Recently the famous bull running event held in the city of Pamplona, Spain has been canceled.
- The ceremony is held every year from 6 to 14 July.
- Thousands of people usually attend this centuries-old festival, with many bulls chasing daredevils wearing traditional white shirts and scarves.
- It is a country on the Iberian Peninsula of Europe. It comprises of 17 autonomous regions with diverse geographies and cultures.
- Its capital is Madrid and the currency is the Euro.
8. April 22: Earth Day
- Earth Day is celebrated every year on 22 April.
- Every year this day is celebrated under a special theme, the theme of this year is "Climate Action".
- The first Earth Day was celebrated in the US on April 22, 1970, when millions of Americans marched on the street and tried to make people aware to save the earth.
- This year marks 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Recently which mutual communication platform has been started by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare?
A. Culture Dialogue
B. India Dialogue
C. Covid India Seva
D. India Dialogue Seva
2. In which year was the Technology Information Forecasting and Assessment Council established?
3. The Technology Development Board is a ____________ body.
4. Recently which municipal corporation has developed mobile application ‘Saiyam’ under the Smart Cities Mission?
B. New Delhi
5. Which of the following countries share their border with Sikkim?
D. All of the above
6. Recently which Indian-American has been appointed as a member of the US National Science Board?
A. Sudarshanam Babu
B. Kailash James
C. George Adams
D. Aditya Dhankar
7. Madrid is the capital of which country?
8. What is the theme of Earth Day 2020?
A. Earth and us
B. Climate Action
C. Climate Change
D. Climate and Human