- 1. Freedom fighter and INA veteran Lalti Ram passes away.
- 2. Anupam Kher Bags Best Actor Award at New York Film International Festival.
- 3. Puducherry becomes ‘Har Ghar Jal’ UT.
- 4. Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka and Lewis Hamilton win awards at Laureus World Sports Awards 2021.
- 5. SpaceX will launch DOGE-1 Satellite to Moon funded with the cryptocurrency Dogecoin in 2022.
- 6. National Technology Day 2021: 11 May.
- 7. Kerala’s prominent leader, K R Gouri, passes away.
- 8. K P Sharma Oli loses vote of confidence in House of Representatives.
- 9. New Delhi declined to 32nd position in Global Prime Residential Index.
- 10. Environment Appraisal Committee has approved EIA studies for Great Nicobar Island project.
- 11. A Parsi selected in Indian National cricket team after 28 years.
- 12. NITI Aayog and Mastercard released Report on ‘Connected Commerce: Creating a Roadmap for a Digitally Inclusive Bharat’.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Personality in News
1. Freedom fighter and INA veteran Lalti Ram passes away.
- Recently, Indian National Army (INA) Veteran Lalti Ram died at the age of 100.
- He will be remembered for his courage and contribution to India’s freedom struggle.
- On the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the ‘Azad Hind Sarkar’ in 2019, Prime Minister presented him a cap of the pre-Independence INA.
- He had worked closely with Netaji Subash Chandra Bose in Indian National Army.
- Indian National Army:
- It was formed by Mohan Singh in 1942.
- It was revived under the leadership of Subhas Chandra Bose in 1943.
- It is also known as Azad Hind Fauj.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
2. Anupam Kher Bags Best Actor Award at New York Film International Festival.
- Anupam Kher won the best actor award at New York City International Film Festival.
- He has got this award for his short film “Happy Birthday”. It has been directed by Prasad Kadam.
- This film has also won the Best Short Film award at the New York International Film Festival.
- New York City International Film Festival: It was founded in 2009. It is an international film festival held every year in New York.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
3. Puducherry becomes ‘Har Ghar Jal’ UT.
- Puducherry has become ‘Har Ghar Jal’ UT as every rural home in Puducherry has a household tap connection.
- Earlier, Goa, Telangana and Andaman & Nicobar Islands have provided tap water supply to every rural home under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- So, Puducherry is the fourth State/UT to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Jal Jeevan Mission is being implemented in partnership with States/ UTs to provide safe tap water to every rural home by 2024.
- The State of Punjab and the UTs of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu have covered over 75% of rural homes with assured tap water supply.
- Recently, N Rangasamy has sworn in as the Chief Minister of Puducherry.
- Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM):
- It is a flagship programme of the Union Government. It was announced in August 2019.
- It aims to provide a tap water connection to every rural household of the country by 2024.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
4. Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka and Lewis Hamilton win awards at Laureus World Sports Awards 2021.
- Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka and Lewis Hamilton have won Laureus World Sports Awards 2021.
- Spain’s Rafael Nadal has won the Laureus Sportsman of the year award. Japan’s Naomi Osaka has won the Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year Award.
- Lewis Hamilton won the Athlete Advocate of the Year Award for his involvement in the fight against racism.
- The names of other winners of the Laureus World Sports Awards 2021 are given below.
- Team of the Year Award: Bayern Munich
- Breakthrough of the Year Award: Patrick Mahomes
- Comeback of the Year Award: Max Parrot
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Billie Jean King
- Sporting Inspiration Award: Mohamed Salah
- Sporting Moment of the Year Award: Chris Nikic
Topic: Space and IT
5. SpaceX will launch DOGE-1 Satellite to Moon funded with the cryptocurrency Dogecoin in 2022.
- SpaceX will launch DOGE-1 Satellite funded with the cryptocurrency Dogecoin to Moon in 2022.
- This announcement was recently made by Canadian company Geometric Energy Corporation, which will lead the lunar mission.
- DOGE-1 will be launched aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in the first quarter of 2022.
- The satellite will weigh 40 kg. It will aim to obtain lunar-spatial intelligence from sensors and cameras on-board.
- DOGE-1 Mission to the Moon will be the first-ever commercial lunar payload in history that will be paid entirely with” Dogecoin.
Topic: Important Days
6. National Technology Day 2021: 11 May.
- National Technology Day is celebrated every year on 11 May. “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future” is the theme for National Technology Day 2021.
- National Technology Day was celebrated or acknowledged for the first time on May 11, 1999.
- On 11 May 1998, three successful nuclear tests were conducted by India at Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan under Operation Shakti.
- First indigenous aircraft, “Hansa-3,” was test flown at Bangalore on 11 May. India also performed a successful test firing of the Trishul missile on 11 May.
- TDB, on behalf of the Ministry of Science & Technology, celebrates May 11 every year as National Technology Day. National Science Day is celebrated annually on 28 February.
- Technology Development Board (TDB) is a statutory body of the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
Topic: Personality in News
7. Kerala’s prominent leader, K R Gouri, passes away.
- Kerala’s prominent CPI (M) leader, K R Gouri, passed away at the age of 102.
- Kalathilparambil Raman Gouri is popularly known as Gouri Amma in Kerala.
- She is one of the longest-serving politicians in Kerala.
- She was the first woman law graduate from the backward Hindu Ezhava community. She was elected to Kerala Assembly 11 times.
- She was active in agitations as part of the Quit India movement.
Topic: India and its Neighbourhood
8. K P Sharma Oli loses vote of confidence in House of Representatives.
- Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli has lost the vote of confidence in the House of Representatives.
- K P Sharma Oli got 93 votes in his favor while 124 voted against him. In the 275-member House of Representatives, he required at least 136 Votes to win the trust vote in the lower of the House of Representatives.
- After the NCP (Nationalist Congress Party) withdrew its support from the government, PM Oli faced a vote of confidence.
- In January, K P Sharma Oli was expelled from the primary membership of the Nepal Communist Party for his decision to dissolve the Parliament.
- It shares a border with Indian states, namely Uttrakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Sikkim, West Bengal, and Bihar.
- Its capital is Kathmandu and the currency is Nepalese Rupees.
- Bidya Devi Bhandari is the President.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Report and Indices
9. New Delhi declined to 32nd position in Global Prime Residential Index.
- New Delhi and Mumbai are in 32nd and 36th positions, respectively, in the latest Global Prime Residential Index.
- New Delhi and Mumbai have moved one spot down as compared to Q4 2020 ranking.
- Bengaluru has ranked 40th in the Prime Global Cities Index Q1 2021.
- Shenzhen is on the top position in the Prime Global Cities Index Q1 2021.
- Delhi registered a -0.2% annual price change for the period Q1 2020 – Q1 2021, while Mumbai registered a -1.5% annual price change for the same period.
- According to this latest index, 26 cities witnessed a rise in prime residential prices.
- Prime Global Cities Index:
- It is released by property consultant Knight Frank.
- It tracks movement in prime residential prices of more than 40 cities of the world.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
10. Environment Appraisal Committee has approved EIA studies for Great Nicobar Island project.
- The Environment Appraisal Committee has approved the “Terms of Reference for Environmental Impact Assessment” studies of the ambitious Great Nicobar Island project.
- Earlier, Environment Appraisal Committee had raised concern about the ambitious project for Great Nicobar Island.
- Seismic and Tsunami Hazards, impact on Giant Leatherback turtle, and cutting of trees were the main concerns of the Environment Appraisal Committee.
- The committee has also raised concern over the site selection criteria. The site has been selected based on technical and financial criteria by ignoring the environmental aspect.
- The committee also asked for information about the corporate environment policy of the implementing agency.
- Great Nicobar Island project includes setting up an international container trans-shipment terminal, a Greenfield international airport, a power plant, and a township complex.
11. A Parsi selected in Indian National cricket team after 28 years.
- A left-arm medium-pacer, Arzan Nagwaswalla, has been selected for the India men’s Cricket team.
- He will be part of the Indian squad for the World Test Championship final and the Test series against England.
- He becomes the youngest player of the Parsi community to join the Indian National cricket team.
- Farokh Engineer was the last Parsi cricketer who had played for India’s men’s cricket team in 1975.
- Diana Edulji played for the Women’s cricket team in 1993.
Topic: Reports and Indices
12. NITI Aayog and Mastercard released Report on ‘Connected Commerce: Creating a Roadmap for a Digitally Inclusive Bharat’.
- A report titled ‘Connected Commerce: Creating a Roadmap for a Digitally Inclusive Bharat’ has been released jointly by NITI Aayog and Mastercard.
- The report recommends ways to make digital services more accessible to people and it also highlights the challenges in accelerating digital financial inclusion in India.
- In recent years, the digitization of financial services has increased in India. People have shifted from cash to cards, wallets, apps, and UPI.
- Based on the five-round discussion, experts have highlighted the issues and recommended ways to accelerate digital financial inclusion.
- Key recommendations of this report:
- Strengthening the payment infrastructure to promote NBFCs and banks.
- Digitalization of the registration and compliance processes.
- Creation of information sharing systems, including a ‘fraud repository’.
- Online digital commerce platforms must carry warnings to alert consumers to the risk of fraud.
- Diversify credit sources for the growth of MSMEs.