1. NIV developed indigenous antibody-based ELISA test kit named COVID KAVACH
- Recently indigenous antibody-based ELISA test kit COVID Kavach has been developed for the first time in the country for diagnosis of COVID-19.
- This kit has been developed by National Institute of Virology, Pune.
- The kit has shown high sensitivity and accuracy in validation tests at various sites.
- About 90 samples can be tested with this kit in about two and a half hours.
- This ELISA-based test can be easily conducted at the district level as well.
2. 11 May: National Technology Day
- National Technology Day is celebrated on 11 May every year in India.
- This year, this day is being celebrated with the conference on theme “Rebooting the economy through science and technology.”
- The conference organized for this will include scientists, technocrats, diplomats, WHO officials and dignitaries from members of national and international industries, research institutes and educational institutions.
- National Technology Day is celebrated to celebrate the achievements of innovations and technological excellence in the country.
- Pokharan nuclear test was done on this day in 1998, in honor of which every year since the year 1999, this day is celebrated. Also, the first indigenous aircraft ‘Hansa-3’ was successfully tested and also Trishul missile was test fired on this day by DRDO.
3. DRDO Lab developed the automated ultraviolet system- DRUVS
- Recently DRDO Hyderabad-based Lab has developed automated Ultraviolet System named Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS).
- DRUVS will be able to sanitize electronic gadgets, papers, passbooks, envelopes and currency notes.
- This system consists of contactless operations that can prevent the spread of the virus.
- It can sanitize objects placed inside the cabinet by providing 360 degrees exposure of UV.
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO):
- It is an agency of the Government of India that deals with the research and development work of the Army in India.
- G. Sateesh Reddy is the current chairman of this organization.
- It was founded in 1958.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
4. Assistance was sent to various island countries by INS Kesari under Mission Sagar of Government of India
- Recently, an Indian ship INS Kesari, under the SAGAR mission of the Government of India, has been sent to combat the coronavirus situation in various island countries.
- Two medical aid teams, essential medicines and essential food items related to COVID-19 have been sent by the ship Kesari to the Maldives, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros and Seychelles located in the Indian ocean.
- The consignments for Madagascar and Comoros also include hydroxychloroquine tablets, which have already been shipped to Mauritius, Maldives and Seychelles.
- ‘Mission Sagar’ is inspired by the Prime Minister's vision of SAGAR- Security and Growth for All in the Region.
5. CSIR is permitted to carry out clinical trials of two drugs- ‘phytopharmaceutical & favipiravir’
- Recently the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has granted permission to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to conduct clinical trials of two drugs for the treatment of COVID-19.
- These two permitted drugs are Phytopharmaceutical and Favipiravir.
- Favipiravir is an anti-influenza drug used in Japan, China and other countries, while Phytopharmaceutical is herbal medicine prepared from plant extracts.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR):
- It is India's largest research and development organization and an autonomous body.
- Its current director general is Shekhar C Mande.
- It was established on 26 September 1942.
6. ICMR and Bharat Biotech come together to develop a fully indigenous vaccine of COVID-19
- Recently Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Bharat Biotech International Limited, Hyderabad based major vaccine manufacturing company, have partnered to develop a fully indigenous vaccine of COVID-19.
- Isolated virus strains at the National Institute of Virology, Pune will be used to develop this vaccine.
- The NIV will provide continued support to Bharat Biotech for the development of the vaccine.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR):
- The Indian Council of Medical Research is the apex body in India for the creation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- It is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
- It was founded in 1911.
- The Director General of the institution is Dr. Balram Bhargava.
7. A commemorative postage stamp issued on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox
- A commemorative postage stamp has been issued by the World Health Organization and the Postal Agency of United Nations on 9 May to mark the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox.
- This stamp is an identity of global solidarity in fighting smallpox and honors millions of people working together.
- The 33rd World Health Assembly in 1980 announced the eradication of smallpox from the world.
- It was possible after World Health Organization's 10-year global effort to eradicate smallpox.
- World Health Organization (WHO):
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It was established on 7 April 1948.
- Its current Director General is Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
8. UK announced ‘once-in-a-generation’ investment in the transport sector
- Recently the UK government has announced a once in a generation investment in the transport sector.
- Under this, about £ 2 billion will be invested for emergency improvements to cycling and walking infrastructure and for the green recovery of the country from the coronavirus pandemic.
- This initiative aims to avoid congestion in public transport after lockdown.
- Therefore, people will also be encouraged to go on bicycle or walking.
- United Kingdom (UK):
- Britain or the United Kingdom is an island nation in northwestern Europe.
- It comprises of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Its capital is London and the currency is pound sterling.
9. Approval of a new type of coronavirus antigen test in the US
- Recently, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a new type of coronavirus antigen test.
- This test can rapidly detect fragments of virus proteins in samples collected from swabs inside the nasal cavity.
- The antigen test is developed by Quidel Corporation of San Diego.
- According to Quidel, this test can provide an accurate test result in 15 minutes.
- Currently, the only way to diagnose active COVID-19 is to test the mucus obtained from the patient's nose for the genetic element of the virus. This may take hours and is expensive.
- The second is the testing of antibodies produced in the blood of the body after fighting the infection, such tests can reveal only after the disease has spread enough in the body.
- While this third type of test, the antigen test can help diagnose active infection by detecting toxic traces of the virus rather than the genetic code of virus itself.
10. Death of eminent historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan due to COVID-19
- Recently, the eminent historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan died at the age of 68 from COVID-19.
- One of the most prominent scholars of Bengal, Harishankar Vasudevan, was a professional historian, an expert on Russian and European history.
- He founded the Central Asia Program at Jamia Millia Islamia.
- He has also served as the head of the Textbook Development Committee for Social Sciences in the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
11. Currency of Iran was changed from Rial to Toman
- Recently Iran's parliament passed a bill allowing the government to slash the country's currency by four zeros from the rial.
- Also its replacement is authorized with another basic unit of currency named Toman.
- According to the bill the national currency of Iran will be changed from Rial to Toman, one Toman is equal to 10,000 rials.
- It is a country in Western Asia.
- Its capital is Tehran and the currency is Iranian Toman.