1. The arrival of large scale Olive Ridley turtles on the banks of the Rushikulya River in Odisha
- Olive Ridley Turtles have also arrived on a large scale this year on the banks of the Rushikulya River in Odisha.
- It is known that every year Olive Ridley turtles come here for breeding.
- The forest department has put up metal fencing in one part of the coast to protect the eggs.
- This year, due to COVID-19, the arrival of outsiders is almost negligible. But on April 23, high tide related to New Moon damaged their nests in large numbers.
- Rushikulya River:
- The Rushikulya River is one of the major rivers of the state of Odisha, and it covers the entire catchment area in the Kandhamal and Ganjam districts of Odisha.
- Olive Ridley Turtle:
- The world's smallest and most abundant sea turtles live in the warm waters of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans.
- They are known for their unique nests created for mass breeding along the seashore, known as Arrabida.
- This species is listed as Vulnerable in the Red List of IUCN.
2. Approved eight laboratories for testing PPE
- Recently eight laboratories have been approved for testing of PPE required for protection from COVID-19.
- These include:
- South India Textiles Research Association, Tamil Nadu
- DRDO-NIMAS New Delhi
- Heavy Vehicle Factory, Chennai
- Small Arms Factory, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Ordnance Factory, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Ordnance Factory, Ambarnath, Maharashtra.
- NABL has accredited all these laboratories.
- National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL):
- NABL is a constituent board of the Quality Council of India.
- It provides recognition in all major areas of science and engineering.
- It was formed in 1988.
- Its headquarters is in Gurugram, Haryana.
3. India will expand the scope of countries under the Vande Bharat Mission from May 15
- Recently Government of India has announced that India will increase the scope of countries under the Vande Bharat Mission from May 15.
- Under this, Indians will be brought back from other countries such as Russia, Germany, Thailand, France, Spain, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
- There will be 14 flights during this week from Southeast Asia, including Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines.
- Meanwhile, INS Jalashwale is all set to leave from Male, Maldives to Kochi with 700 Indians, while INS Magar will reach Kochi on May 10, carrying 200 Indians.
4. Defense Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the link road for Kailash Mansarovar
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the link road for Kailash Mansarovar through video conferencing.
- The link road connects Dharchula to Lipulekh Pass and China Border.
- This path is known as the Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra route.
- The Border Roads Organization (BRO) has done this commendable job amid the Covid-19 outbreak in the country.
- The construction of this route will not only benefit the pilgrims of Kailash-Mansarovar, but it is also very important in terms of military security.
- Border Roads Organization (BRO):
- The Border Roads Organization develops and maintains a road network in India's border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- It was founded in 1960 by Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
5. Signing of a $500 million project between India and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Recently a $500 million project has been signed between India and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- This project aims to improve health-related preparedness.
- This is the first agreement of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank with India in the field of health.
- This will also help improve the integrated disease surveillance program and renovate hospitals with infectious diseases.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB):
- There is a multilateral development bank that aims to support the construction of infrastructure in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Its headquarters is located in Beijing, China.
- It was established by a multilateral treaty on December 25, 2015, and began operations in January 2016.
6. India sent a gift of 12 and a half tons of essential medicines and medical equipment to Sri Lanka
- Recently India has sent a gift of 12 and a half tons of essential medicines and medical equipment to Sri Lanka.
- India has sent this gift with special friendship during the current Vesak week in Sri Lanka.
- It is a religious and cultural festival in Sri Lanka.
- It is celebrated on the day of Buddha Purnima in the month of May.
- Vesak Day is one of the biggest days of the year and is celebrated by Buddhists all over the world.
- Sri Lanka:
- It is an island country in South Asia.
- It is geographically separated from the Indian subcontinent by the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait.
- Its capital is Colombo and the currency is the Sri Lankan rupee.
7. United Nations and partner agencies launched a global appeal of US $ 6.7 billion
- Recently the United Nations and partner agencies have launched a global appeal of US $ 6.7 billion.
- The appeal aims to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, pay special attention to vulnerable countries and reduce food insecurity.
- The head of the United Nations has made this appeal before.
- The Covid-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan was launched on March 25, but as human needs have increased, it has also added an investment plan of US $ 6.7 billion.
- United Nations:
- It is an intergovernmental organization.
- It aims to maintain international peace and security.
- Its headquarters is located in New York, United States.
- It was established on October 24, 1945.
- Its official languages are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- Antonio Guterres is the Secretary-General of the institution.
8. Government of Himachal Pradesh decided to impose covid cess on sale of liquor in the state
- Recently the Himachal Pradesh State Cabinet has decided to levy additional license fee, named as Covid Cess, on the sale of liquor in the state.
- The amount of cess on different bottles will vary.
- Himachal Pradesh:
- It is a North Indian state.
- It is famous for beautiful hill stations like Dalhousie.
- The Governor is Bandaru Dattatreya and Chief Minister is Jai Ram Thakur.
- The capitals of this region are Shimla (summer) and Dharamshala (winter).
- Rohtang, Spiti Valley, Solang Valley are located in this state.
- The state animal is the snow leopard, state bird western is tragopan and state tree is cedar.
9. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman launched two international exchanges
- Recently Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman launched two international exchanges at GIFT-IFSC (GIFT-IFSC) in Gandhinagar through video conference.
- INR-USD (Rupee-Dollar) Futures and Options contracts on two international exchanges BSE’s India INX and NSE’s NSE-IFSC have been launched.
- In the last decade, a significant stake in financial services related to India has shifted to other international financial centers.
- The launch of these contracts is a step towards bringing back the economic activity and employment gains to India.
- It will also bring in a large global partnership in India through the Indian Financial System Code and connect India's International Financial Services Center (IFSC) globally.
- Gujarat International Finance Tech City (GIFT) is India's first international financial service center based in Gandhinagar.
10. New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative launched
- Recently CSIR started the New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI).
- The goal of this initiative is to lead the fight against Covid-19 with a multi-pronged approach.
- CSIR laboratories themselves are developing technology and products.
- Through this program, new ideas and projects from other educational and industries are also being included.
- In addition, CSIR has approved a project towards the development of human monoclonal antibodies (hmAbs).
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR):
- Is India's largest research and development organization and an autonomous body.
- Its current director general is Shekhar C Mande.
- It was established on September 26 1942.
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More