- 1. Constitution Day is being celebrated on 26 November.
- 2. PM unveils a book on the life of Sri Guru Nanak Dev.
- 3. Union Cabinet approved MoU for cooperation among BRICS countries in the field of Physical Culture and Sport.
- 4. Nyaya Bandhu app iOS version launched, and now it will be available on the UMANG platform.
- 5. Platinum Partner Award conferred to EPFO for highest transactions on UMANG App.
- 6. 'National Portal for Transgender Persons' and 'Garima Greh' have been launched by the Union Minister.
- 7. NITI Aayog issues a report titled 'Mitigation and Management of Covid-19: Practices from India's States & UTs'.
- 8. NITI Aayog's third progress report on POSHAN Abhiyaan says that there is a need to increase efforts to meet the center's nutritional targets.
- 9. India becomes 4th nation having navigation systems recognized by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- 10. International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women: 25 November
- 11. PM Modi reviews projects through the PRAGATI platform.
Topic: Important Days
1. Constitution Day is being celebrated on 26 November.
- Constitution Day is celebrated every year on 26 November to mark the anniversary of the formal adoption of the Constitution of India on this day in 1949.
- The Constitution of India came into effect on 26 January 1950.
- It is celebrated to bring awareness about the Constitution of India and to pay tribute to India’s first Law Minister Dr. B.R. Ambedkar.
- It is also known as Samvidhan Divas or National Law Day.
- Constitution of India:
- It is the longest written Constitution of the world.
- It was completed in 2 years, 11 months and 17 days.
- At present, it has 22 parts, 448 articles, 12 schedules and a Preamble.
- Originally it was written by Prem Behari Narain Raizada.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was the chairman of the drafting committee of the Constitution. He is also recognised as “Father of the Constitution of India”.
- The other members of the Drafting Committee are Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyar, N. Gopalaswami, K.M Munshi, Mohammad Saadulla, B.L. Mitter and D.P. Khaitan.
Topic: Books and Authors
2. PM unveils a book on the life of Sri Guru Nanak Dev.
- Prime Minister has released a book on the life and ideals of Sri Guru Nanak Dev.
- It is written by Kirpal Singh Ji.
- Sri Guru Nanak Dev:
- He was born on 15 April 1469 in Talwandi, Pakistan.
- He was the founder of Sikhism and the first Sikh Guru.
- He had started writing the Guru Granth Sahib.
- His birth anniversary is celebrated as Guru Nanak Jayanti.
3. Union Cabinet approved MoU for cooperation among BRICS countries in the field of Physical Culture and Sport.
- An MoU has been approved by the Union Cabinet on Cooperation in Physical Culture and Sport among BRICS Countries.
- It will help enhance the knowledge of BRICS countries in sports science, sports medicine, coaching techniques, etc. It will be available to all sportspersons of the member’s countries.
- It will help improve the standard of sportspersons and sports facilities, which will make them at par with international standards.
- BRICS is an association composed of the five major emerging economies - Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- It was started in 2001 as BRIC, and later, South Africa was added in 2010 and the group became BRICS.
- The 12th BRICS Summit was held virtually on 17 November 2020.
- It accounts for 42% of the population, 23% of GDP, 30% of the territory, and 18% of the global trade.
Topic: Space and IT
4. Nyaya Bandhu app iOS version launched, and now it will be available on the UMANG platform.
- On the occasion of Constitution Day, the government has launched the iOS version of the Nyaya Bandhu Application and its onboarding on the UMANG platform.
- UMANG platform would help in the accessibility of this mobile-based legal service to the citizens of India.
- Nyaya Bandhu (Pro Bono Legal Services) app:
- It was launched in 2019 by the Ministry of law and Justice.
- It was developed by the Department of Justice in collaboration with CSC e-Governance Services.
- In fulfilling the commitment of Article 39-A of providing free legal aid to the poor and weaker sections of society, the government has launched a Nyaya Bandhu app.
- It provides a platform to connect the beneficiaries with the advocates who are willing to volunteer their time in providing legal services.
- UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance): Its main aim is to provide major Government services to citizens simply and effortlessly. The Prime Minister launched it in 2017.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
5. Platinum Partner Award conferred to EPFO for highest transactions on UMANG App.
- Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has been awarded Platinum Partner Award for the highest transactions on UMANG App. It has done more than 25 lakh transactions.
- On the eve of the 3rd anniversary of the UMANG App, the government has been giving the UMANG Awards to the Departments of Centre and States, based on the transactions in the last six months.
- EPFO has launched its services on the UMANG platform to ease availability of its services to the socio-economically weaker sections. EPFO members can use 19 services on the UMANG App.
- It enables the EPFO members to use the service in a hassle-free manner from the country's remotest location. EPFO has shifted its services from e-governance to m-governance.
- Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO):
- EPFO is a statutory body established under the Employees' Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- The organization works under the aegis of the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- It is one of the world's largest social security organizations.
- It helps the central board of trustees in administering the Provident Fund Scheme, Pension Scheme, and Insurance scheme for the organized sector workers.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
6. 'National Portal for Transgender Persons' and 'Garima Greh' have been launched by the Union Minister.
- The Ministry for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched a 'National Portal for Transgender Persons' and a 'Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons.'
- National Portal for Transgender Persons:
- National Portal for Transgender Persons has been developed for providing e-services for applying Certificate and Identity card to transgender Persons.
- It will provide I-card and certificate to Transgender without any physical visit on time.
- It is developed in two months after the notification of Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
- Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
- It was legally enforced on January 10, 2020.
- It is enacted to protect the rights of Transgender and for the welfare of the transgender community.
- It allows persons to self-perceived their gender identity for the identification of transgender persons.
- Garima Greh:
- It is a shelter home for Transgender persons in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- The Lakshya Trust will run it.
- It will shelter Transgender with all basic facilities such as shelter, food, medical care, recreational facilities, etc.
- It is set up under the scheme of 'Shelter Home for Transgender Persons' by India's government.
- It will also provide skill development training to Transgender for living a dignified life.
Topic: Reports and Indices
7. NITI Aayog issues a report titled 'Mitigation and Management of Covid-19: Practices from India's States & UTs'.
- NITI Aayog has issued a report titled Mitigation and Management of Covid-19: Practices from India's States & UTs.
- The report provides information on various practices used by states and UTs for containing and managing COVID-19. It is based on the information provided by states and UTs telephonically and through email.
- The report is a compendium or collection of best practices. It is divided into six sections.
- They are public health and clinical response, governance mechanisms, digital health, integrated model, the welfare of migrants and other vulnerable groups, other practices.
- NITI Aayog:
- It was formed on January 1, 2015. It replaced the Planning Commission.
- The Prime Minister is the ex-officio Chairman and the Prime Minister appoints the Vice-Chairperson.
- Rajeev Kumar is the current Vice- Chairperson of NITI Aayog. Amitabh Kant is its CEO.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices
8. NITI Aayog's third progress report on POSHAN Abhiyaan says that there is a need to increase efforts to meet the center's nutritional targets.
- NITI Aayog's third progress report on POSHAN Abhiyaan says that there is a need to increase efforts to meet the center's nutritional targets under POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- The report is titled as Accelerating Progress on Nutrition in India: What will it take.
- As per the National Family Health Survey 4 (NFHS-4) released in 2016, more than 50% of pregnant and non-pregnant women were anemic.
- The report says that emphasis on complementary feeding and breastfeeding can stop 60% of India's total stunting cases.
- The report says that India's target for stunting is lower than the global target of 5% prevalence rate fixed by World Health Assembly (WHA).
- The report says that India's target of lowering prevalence levels of anemia among pregnant women and adolescent girls is also lower than WHA's target of halving prevalence levels.
- India aims to reduce anemia among pregnant women from 50.3% in 2016 to 34.4% in 2022 and among adolescent girls from 52.9% in 2016 to 39.66%.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan's Progress Reports I and II were on POSHAN Abhiyaan preparedness and implementation by States and UTs
- POSHAN Abhiyaan:
- It is a flagship program of the Government of India under the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It was earlier known as National Nutrition Mission. It was launched in 2018.
- It aims to improve the nutritional outcomes for children, pregnant women, and lactating mothers.
(Source: The Hindu)
Topic: International News
9. India becomes 4th nation having navigation systems recognized by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- India has become 4th nation having navigation systems recognized by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- IMO has recognized India's Regional Navigation Satellite System as part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS).
- The Maritime Safety Committee approved the recognition of IMO during its recent meeting held from 4 to November 11, 2020.
- US, Russia, and China are other three countries having a navigation system recognized by the IMO. The names of the navigation systems of these countries are given below.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) - US
- Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) - Russia
- BeiDou Navigation Satellite System - China
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) will help in navigation within 1500 km from the Indian boundary.
- IRNSS will provide a position accuracy of over 20m. It will provide Standard Positioning Services (SPS) to all users and restricted services to authorized users.
- IRNSS is also known as NavIC (Navigation with Indian Constellation). It currently comprises of eight satellites as given below:
IRNSS 1B & IRNSS 1C
IRNSS 1 D
IRNSS 1E, IRNSS 1F & IRNSS 1G
IRNSS 1 H
Mission was unsuccessful
- International Maritime Organisation (IMO):
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN). It is headquartered in London, UK.
- It was formed on March 17, 1948. But, it started functioning in 1958, and its first meeting was held in 1959.
- The number of IMO Member States currently is 174. It also has three Associate members. Kitack Lim is its head (secretary-general).
- It has two responsibilities, as given below:
- Safety and security of shipping
- Prevention of marine and atmospheric pollution by ships
Topic: Important Days
10. International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women: 25 November
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is annually celebrated on November 25 to raise awareness about violence against women.
- "Orange the World: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect!" is the theme for International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women 2020.
- 16 days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence will be launched on International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women 2020 also.
- 16 days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence will continue from November 25 to December 10 (International Human Rights Day).
- UN General Assembly designated November 25 as International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women in 2000.
- November 25 was selected as International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women to honor Mirabai Sisters. They were political activists from the Dominican Republic and killed in 1960.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
11. PM Modi reviews projects through the PRAGATI platform.
- PM Modi has reviewed projects through the Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) platform.
- This was PM's thirty-third interaction through the PRAGATI platform. PM told the states that they should develop a State Export Strategy.
- During the interaction, the projects of several ministries were reviewed. The cost of reviewed projects was 1.41 lakh crore rupees. They were related to 10 states.
- COVID-19 related and PM Awas Yojana (Gramin) related grievances were taken up.
- It is an ICT based multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance, and Timely Implementation started on March 25, 2015.
- The platform is used for the citizens' grievances and the review of various programs and projects of the centre and the state governments.
(Source: News on AIR)