- 1. Sir Chotu Ram Ji birth anniversary celebrated on 24 November.
- 2. PM honors and praises Lachit Borphukan on Lachit Diwas.
- 3. China will implement G-20 debt relief initiatives.
- 4. All India Presiding Officers’ Conference has been inaugurated by the President.
- 5. 7 Food Processing Projects have been approved by the Government of India.
- 6. RE-INVEST 2020 will be inaugurated by Prime Minister on Nov 26.
- 7. Union Agriculture Minister has launched ‘Sahakar Pragya’ initiative.
- 8. Greg Barclay elected as ICC’s new independent chairman.
- 9. UP Government passes Prohibition of Unlawful Religious Conversion Ordinance, 2020.
- 10. India to build Shatoot dam in Afghanistan.
- 11. India’s first tracker for facial recognition system to become available for use on 27 November.
- 12. 10th edition of four day long National Science Film Festival started virtually.
Gurunank Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code GURUNANAK
Topic: Personality in News
1. Sir Chotu Ram Ji birth anniversary celebrated on 24 November.
- PM Modi has praised Sir Chotu Ram (Ram Richpal) Ji on his birth anniversary.
- PM remembered his services for farmers. He said that Sir Chotu Ram Ji fought for rights of farmers.
- PM also said that he became the voice of workers, vulnerable and exploited sections of the society.
- He was born on 24 November 1881 and died in 1945. He was a politician in Punjab province of British India.
- He was the co-founder National Unionist Party (Zamindara League) in 1923. Unionist party won 1935 elections and formed provincial government.
- Sir Chotu Ram (Ram Richpal) Ji is popularly known as Deen Bandhu.
2. PM honors and praises Lachit Borphukan on Lachit Diwas.
- PM has honored and praised Lachit Borphukan on Lachit Diwas, which is celebrated each year in Assam on 24 November.
- PM said that Lachit Borphukan played a crucial role in protecting the unique culture of Assam and worked to empower the poor and downtrodden.
- Remembered for his leadership role in 1671 Battle of Saraighat, Lachit Borphukan was a commander and Borphukan in Ahom Kingdom (1228-1826).
- He prevented Mughal forces led by Ramsingh I from taking control of Ahom kingdom.
Topic: International News
3. China will implement G-20 debt relief initiatives.
- The Government of China stated that it would work with other G-20 countries to implement G-20 debt relief initiatives and the subsequent debt processing work.
- Under the G-20 framework, China has given debt relief worth 2.1 billion US Dollars to the developing countries.
- According to the World Bank, China holds more than 60 percent of the poorest countries’ official bilateral debt to G20 countries.
- The World Bank has shown its concern over the issue of China’s non-participation in the debt relief scheme for African countries. African countries are fighting against the COVID-19 pandemic and they need long term relief for their debts.
- It is located in East Asia. It is the largest country among all Asian countries.
- It is the world’s most populous country.
- The Capital is Beijing and the currency is Renminbi.
- China is the largest economy in the world in terms of GDP in PPP.
- Xi Jinping is the current President of China.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
4. All India Presiding Officers’ Conference has been inaugurated by the President.
- A two-day conference of All India Presiding officers has begun at Kevadia in Gujarat from 25 November. It will be celebrated as the centenary year of the Presiding Officers Conference.
- The theme of this conference is “Harmonious Coordination of Legislative, Executive and Judiciary - Key to a Vibrant Democracy”.
- It has been inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind and it will end with the Prime Minister’s address on 26 November on the occasion of constitution day.
- Many presiding officers, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Governor of Gujarat, and other dignitaries will participate in this Conference.
- In this conference, various issues were discussed such as the need of better cooperation and coordination between the three pillars of the democracy, constitutional accountability of the legislature and the executive to the people, disciplined working of the Legislatures, etc.
- It will conclude on 26 November with the adoption of a Declaration.
- Presiding officers:
- The Presiding Officers have the responsibility to conduct the proceedings of the House.
- The Speaker and the Deputy Speaker are the Presiding Officers of the Lok Sabha.
- Vice- President is the Presiding Officers of the Rajya Sabha.
(Source: Indian Express)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
5. 7 Food Processing Projects have been approved by the Government of India.
- The Government of India has approved the seven Food Processing Projects worth over 234 crore rupees in the states of Meghalaya, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.
- These projects have been approved by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries under the Scheme for Creation of Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Cluster of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY).
- Creation of Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Cluster scheme:
- It was launched in 2017 under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana.
- It aims for the setting up of agro-processing clusters in the country, and support entrepreneurs to set up food processing units in the country.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) Yojana:
- It was launched in 2017.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- It aims to create modern infrastructure and efficient supply chain management for food processing Industries.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
6. RE-INVEST 2020 will be inaugurated by Prime Minister on Nov 26.
- The third meeting of the Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-Invest 2020) will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister.
- This three-day event will be organised by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- The theme for this year’s RE-Invest is “Innovations for Sustainable Energy Transition”.
- It will be attended by many international Ministerial delegations, global industry leaders and delegates.
- RE-Invest 2020 will focus on ways to increase the development and deployment of renewable energy. It will also help in connecting the global investors with Indian energy stakeholders.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE):
- It is the nodal agency for all matters related to new and renewable energy.
- It aims to develop new and renewable energy for the energy requirements of India.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy is currently headed by Anand Kumar.
7. Union Agriculture Minister has launched ‘Sahakar Pragya’ initiative.
- The Union Agriculture Minister has launched the ‘Sahakar Pragya’ programme to provide training to primary cooperative societies in rural areas of the country.
- The 45 training modules and 18 regional training centres have been launched under the ‘Sahakar Pragya’ initiative of the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC). It has been launched in collaboration with Lakshmanrao Inamdar National Cooperative Research and Development Academy.
- The training modules will impart knowledge and organisational skills to the primary cooperative societies across the country.
- India has a large network of cooperative societies which assist in agricultural marketing at local, regional, state and national levels.
- The cooperatives could play a vital role in the Atma Nirbhar Bharat and will also help in increasing the farmer’s income.
- Co-operative societies is a form of organization in which persons voluntarily associate together on the basis of equality for the promotion of the economic interest of themselves.
- National Cooperative Development Corporation:
- It was set up as a statutory Corporation in 1963.
- It works under the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- The main objective is the Planning, promoting and financing programmes for production, processing, marketing, storage, export and import of agricultural produce.
(Source: Outlook India)
8. Greg Barclay elected as ICC’s new independent chairman.
- Greg Barclay has been elected as the new independent chairman of International Cricket Council (ICC) and he has replaced interim chairman Imran Khwaja.
- Greg Barclay has been director of New Zealand Cricket (NZC) since 2012 and was NZC’s representative on the ICC board.
- Imran Khwaja succeeded Shashank Manohar after end of his second term.
- International Cricket Council:
- The International Cricket Council is the global governing body of cricket.
- It was established in 1909 by the representatives of Australia, England and South Africa as the Imperial Cricket Conference.
- It is headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Its motto is Cricket for Good.
Topic: State News/ UP
9. UP Government passes Prohibition of Unlawful Religious Conversion Ordinance, 2020.
- UP Government has passed the Prohibition of Unlawful Religious Conversion Ordinance, 2020 to ban unlawful religious conversions for marriage.
- The UP Government’s ordinance provides for an imprisonment of 1-5 years and a fine of Rs 15,000 if the accused is unsuccessful in proving that the conversion of the woman was not for marriage.
- The UP Government’s ordinance provides for an imprisonment of 1-5 years and a fine of Rs 15,000 if the accused is unsuccessful in proving that the conversion of the woman was not by use of force, deceit and allurement.
- The ordinance provides for jail sentence of 3-10 years and a fine of Rs 25,000 if the woman is minor or belongs to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe community.
- The jail term would be 3-10 years and the fine would be Rs 50,000 in case of mass conversions.
- Marriage after conversions can be declared as null and void. If any couple wants to marry after religious conversion, they should take permission from relevant district magistrate two months before the marriage.
- The ordinance provides for imprisonment of six months to three years and a fine of Rs 10,000 if no permission is taken from the district magistrate.
- The ordinance makes unlawful conversions for marriage through force, deceit, undue pressure or by way of alluring into marriage a non-bailable offence.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
10. India to build Shatoot dam in Afghanistan.
- India will build Shatoot dam to provide safe drinking water to residents of Kabul.
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar explained India’s initiatives during the Afghanistan 2020 Conference.
- He said that India would continue to support developmental activities in Afghanistan. During the pandemic period, 75,000 tonnes of wheat was transported to Afghanistan through the Iranian port of Chabahar.
- He also announced that India would launch Phase-IV of the High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDPs).
- India had earlier developed Phul-e-Khumri transmission line in 2009 to provide power to Kabul.
- On 24 November, twin blasts killed 13 people in the Bamyan province of Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan Conference:
- It is a ministerial-level pledging conference held in Brussels in 2016 and in Tokyo in 2012.
- Afghanistan 2020 Conference was held in Geneva through virtual mode on 23-24 November. It was co-hosted by Afghanistan, Finland and UN.
(Source: The Hindu)
11. India’s first tracker for facial recognition system to become available for use on 27 November.
- India’s first tracker for facial recognition system will become available for use on 27 November.
- Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF) has announced that it will launch Project Panoptic on November 27.
- It records development and deployment of facial recognition technology projects all over India.
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) had issued a request for proposal for National Automated Facial Recognition System (AFRS).
- Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF) is a Delhi-based non-governmental organization dealing with digital rights and liberties.
Topic: National News
12. 10th edition of four day long National Science Film Festival started virtually.
- 10th edition of the four-day-long National Science Film Festival has been started virtually from 24 November.
- The festival will continue till 27 November. It is organized by Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous agency under the Department of Science and Technology.
- Vigyan Prasar and Tripura State Council of Science and Technology are jointly organizing National Science Film Festival this year.
- Total 115 films in different languages will be screened during the festival. The festival was originally scheduled to take place from 18 to 22 March 2020 in Agartala.