- 1. IIT Ropar developed portable eco-friendly mobile cremation system.
- 2. Eighth Installment of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi will be released on 14 May.
- 3. NDRF deploys 24 teams in five different states for handling Cyclone Tauktae.
- 4. 2021 AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships will take place from October in Belgrade.
- 5. Malerkotla becomes 23rd district of Punjab.
- 6. KP Sharma Oli takes oath as Nepal Prime Minister for third time.
- 7. International Day of Families: 15 May
- 8. Mucormycosis Fungus complication found in COVID-19 Patients.
- 9. Times Group chairperson Indu Jain passed away.
- 10. Ministry of Jal Shakti organized Webinar with the Sector Partners selected for National Jal Jeevan Mission (NJJM).
- 11. International Astronomy Day 2021: 15 May
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: New Developments
1. IIT Ropar developed portable eco-friendly mobile cremation system.
- IIT Ropar has developed a portable eco-friendly electric cremation system.
- It is one of its kind of technology that produces no smoke despite using wood for cremation. It is based on wick-stove technology.
- The cart-shaped mobile cremation system has stainless steel insulation on both sides of the cart for reducing heat loss and wood consumption.
- It takes less time to dispose of the body entirely as compared to normal wood-based cremation.
- It uses half wood than normal wood-based cremation, so it is an eco-friendly technology.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
2. Eighth Installment of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi will be released on 14 May.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will release the eighth Installment of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi on 14 May. It will be the first installment for the financial year 2021-22.
- Under this scheme, more than ₹19,000 crores will be disbursed to 9.5 crores farmer families.
- The money will be transferred directly to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries. The cost of the scheme is ₹75,000 crore per annum.
- Under this scheme, Samman Rashi of over one lakh 15 thousand crore has been already transferred to farmer families.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN):
- It was launched on 24 February 2019.
- It is a 100% centrally sponsored scheme. It was announced during the interim budget of 2019.
- Under this scheme, Rs 6,000 per year is transferred by the Central Government in three equal installments of Rs 2000.
- It is being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- The main objective of this scheme is to increase the income of small and marginal farmers.
(Source: News on AIR)
3. NDRF deploys 24 teams in five different states for handling Cyclone Tauktae.
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) deploys 24 teams in five different states as Cyclone ‘Tauktae’ may hit Karnataka and Kerala coasts by 16 May.
- It can affect Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Maharashtra. Director-General of NDRF, SN Pradhan, said that 29 teams are on standby.
- As per the forecast issued by India Meteorological Department, low-pressure areas may form over the South-East Arabian Sea.
- Low pressure area may intensify into a cyclonic storm called ‘Tauktae’ over the East-Central Arabian Sea by May 16 to 21.
- A cyclone is a low-pressure system with very high winds swirling around it.
- Conditions favourable for the formation of tropical cyclones are —
- Sufficiently warm sea surface
- Atmospheric instability
- High humidity in low to medium levels of the troposphere
- Sufficient Coriolis force to maintain a low pressure center, etc
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF):
- It was established in the year 2006 under the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
- It works under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- SN Pradhan is the current Director-General of NDRF.
4. 2021 AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships will take place from October in Belgrade.
- 2021 AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships will take place from 26 October to 6 November in Belgrade in Serbia.
- President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic, is the Head of the Local Organising Committee (LOC). He will supervise the delivery of the event.
- Russia hosted the previous edition of the AIBA Men’s World Boxing Championships.
- International Boxing Association (AIBA) is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland. Umar Kremlev is the President of AIBA. It was formed in 1946.
Topic: State News/ Punjab
5. Malerkotla becomes 23rd district of Punjab.
- Punjab Government has approved a long pending demand to form Malerkotla as a district. It will be the 23rd district of Punjab.
- The chief minister of Punjab also announced Rs 500 crore financial assistance for medical college, a women’s college, a new bus stand, and a women police station in Malerkotla.
- Malerkotla is a Muslim majority town. It is a historically very important town of Punjab.
- Malerkotla city, Amargarh, and Ahmedgarh will come under the Malerkotla district.
- It is a state in the northwest region of India.
- Its capital is Chandigarh.
- Governor of Punjab: V. P. Singh Badnore
- Chief Minister of Punjab: Captain Amarinder Singh
Topic: Indian and its Neighbourhood
6. KP Sharma Oli takes oath as Nepal Prime Minister for third time.
- K P Sharma Oli has sworn in as Nepal’s Prime Minister for the third time. He is the 43rd Prime Minister of Nepal.
- President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office to KP Sharma Oli.
- Recently, K P Sharma Oli had lost the vote of confidence in the House of Representatives, but Opposition parties couldn’t form a new government.
- KP Sharma Oli is the leader of the Nepal- Unified Marxist Leninist (CPN-UML) party.
- Previously, he had served as Prime Minister of Nepal from October 11, 2015 to August 3, 2016 and again from February 15, 2018 to May 13, 2021.
- In January, K P Sharma Oli was expelled from the primary membership of the Nepal Communist Party for his decision to dissolve the Parliament.
- It shares a border with Indian states, namely Uttrakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Sikkim, West Bengal, and Bihar.
- Its capital is Kathmandu and the currency is Nepalese Rupees.
- Prime Minister holds the position of the Head of the executive in Nepal. He is appointed by the President of Nepal. Prime Minister has a tenure of 5years.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
7. International Day of Families: 15 May
- Every year International Day of Families is observed on 15 May.
- It is celebrated to highlight the importance of families by the International community.
- It provides an opportunity to promote issues related to families and to increase the knowledge of the social, economic, and demographic processes affecting families.
- The theme of International Day of Families 2021 is ‘Families and new technologies’.
- This day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993.
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
8. Mucormycosis Fungus complication found in COVID-19 Patients.
- Mucormycosis or black fungus complication has been found in COVID-19 Patients. It is caused by a fungal infection.
- It is caused by micro-organisms known as mucormycetes. It starts as a skin infection, and then it spreads to the eyes, lungs, and brain.
- Discoloration over the nose, Vision loss, Chest Pain, breathing difficulties, and coughing of blood are some of the symptoms of this disease.
- It mainly affects those patients whose immune system is not functioning properly.
- The micro-organisms mucormycetes is generally found in soil and decaying organic matter like leaves, and compost.
Topic: Personality in News
9. Times Group chairperson Indu Jain passed away.
- Times Group chairperson Indu Jain died at the age of 84.
- After the death of her husband, Ashok Jain, she became the chairman of the Times Group in 1999.
- She was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2016 for the Trade and Industry.
- She will be remembered for her remarkable contribution to media, entrepreneurship, and philanthropy.
- Bennett, Coleman and Company Limited is known as The Times Group. It is one of the famous media houses of India. It was founded on 4th November 1838.
- The Times of India, The Economic Times, Navbharat Times are some famous newspapers of the Times Group.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
10. Ministry of Jal Shakti organized Webinar with the Sector Partners selected for National Jal Jeevan Mission (NJJM).
- Department of Drinking Water & Sanitation (DDWS) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti has organized a webinar with the Sector Partners selected for National Jal Jeevan Mission (NJJM).
- The government has selected about 175 organizations as Sector Partners for the implementation of the National Jal Jeevan Mission (NJJM).
- More than 4.17 Crore rural households have been provided with new tap water connections since the launch of the mission.
- Jal Jeevan Mission:
- It was announced by Prime Minister on 15th August 2019.
- The main objective of the mission is to provide piped water supply to all rural households by 2024.
- “Building Partnership and Changing Lives” is the motto of the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti is the nodal agency for this mission.
Topic: Important Days
11. International Astronomy Day 2021: 15 May
- In 2021, International Astronomy Day has been celebrated on 15 May.
- It was started by Doug Berger in 1973, the then President of the Astronomical Union of Northern California.
- This day is celebrated twice a year.
- It is celebrated to spread awareness about Astronomy among people.
- Astronomy: It is a science that studies celestial objects and space-related phenomenon.